Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:42 PM

Rodeath Woo who?
Zombie Rise Again

[
Quote:
b]Zombies Rise Again
If a Zombie of Morindan that you control destroys an opponent's small or medium figure, replace that figure immediately, if possible, with one of your own previously destroyed Zombies of Morindan. Newly placed Zombies of Morindan cannot attack this turn. Undead are not affected by Zombies Rise Again. [/b]
Must you have a dead zombie available to make a new Zombie. If so, rule should read:

Zombies Rise Again
If a Zombie of Morindan that you control destroys an opponent's small or medium figure, if possible, replace that figure immediately with one of your own previously destroyed Zombies of Morindan. Newly placed Zombies of Morindan cannot attack this turn. Undead are not affected by Zombies Rise Again.

Anyone?
Old February 2nd, 2007, 08:01 PM

bluekitsune13 has disabled reputation
Re: Zombie Rise Again

"If a Zombie of Morindan that you control destroys an opponent's small or medium figure, replace that figure immediately, if possible, with one of your own previously destroyed Zombies of Morindan. Newly placed Zombies of Morindan cannot attack this turn. Undead are not affected by Zombies Rise Again."

You can only use Zombies Rise Again to resurrect zombies that you purchased with your points at the beginning of the game. So if you brought 2 squads of zombies (a total of 6) and destroyed an opponent's figure, you wouldn't get to bring in a 7th zombie. I hope that answers your question.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 08:20 PM

tsukifu has disabled reputation
I think it's weird that everyone has trouble with the wording of this card. It's actually worded perfectly for its intended meaning. It's a symptom, I think, of our nation's difficulties with commas. The "if possible" part is an aside which clarifies the entire last half of the sentence, not just the "with one of your own..." part. They could've moved the "if possible" part to the very end of the sentence and it would've had the same meaning, but somehow it's not quite so elegant.

Then again, anyone who's made customs knows how hard it is to write a really concise, really unassailable ability text.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:07 PM

Rodeath Woo who?
I agree that the "if possibble" portion of the sentence is an aside to the latter half of the sentence. that is why It should not apply to the former half.

As I read it, there is no question that the figure should be replaced, though "if possible" ie. the preffered method of doing so would be with a previously destroyed Zombie for asthetic and continuity reasons.

I do get the feeling this topic has been discussed ad nausium, and just for the record I did do a search for the topic and only came up with perifery discussions.

Thanks for your patience and replies, Dave.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:33 PM

tsukifu has disabled reputation
Sorry, the rhet teacher in me can't resist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeath
I agree that the "if possibble" portion of the sentence is an aside to the latter half of the sentence. that is why It should not apply to the former half.

As I read it, there is no question that the figure should be replaced, though "if possible" ie. the preffered method of doing so would be with a previously destroyed Zombie for asthetic and continuity reasons.
The "if possible" part clarifies the entire main clause "replace that figure immediately...with one of your own previously destroyed Zombies of Morindan." That's what I mean by the lattter half of the sentence.

The wording is often misread as the rough equivalent of this:

"If a Zombie of Morindan that you control destroys an opponent's small or medium figure, replace that figure immediately (if possible, with one of your own previously destroyed Zombies of Morindan)."

When in fact it's the rough equivalent of this:

"If a Zombie of Morindan that you control destroys an opponent's small or medium figure, replace that figure immediately (if possible) with one of your own previously destroyed Zombies of Morindan."

That's why there's a comma at either end of "if possible."

But maybe I should just go grade some papers instead of hassling people online.
Old February 4th, 2007, 01:54 AM

minotaur35 has disabled reputation
um freakin what? the words if possible and previously destroyed kinda say it all. should be more concerned with the fact it say if A zombie you control, which stops you from getting a zombie back on the 6 die roll if im not mistaken since thats not A zombie its 3 zombies, right?
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:40 AM

Aranas has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by minotaur35
um freakin what? the words if possible and previously destroyed kinda say it all. should be more concerned with the fact it say if A zombie you control, which stops you from getting a zombie back on the 6 die roll if im not mistaken since thats not A zombie its 3 zombies, right?
The Zombies Rise Again power works both with their regular and special attack. If three were use to make a kill, go one Zombie at a time. First Zombie in the trio: you replace the destroyed figure by a previously destroyed Zombie; second Zombie.... no more figure to replace. End.

Aranas

Things you might have missed in the rulebook:
Figures can't pass through friendly engaged figures.
Figures can't attack themselves.

SITE D'HEROSCAPE FRANCOPHONE, C'EST PAR ICI

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's