Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old March 30th, 2010, 11:39 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Book of the Wyvern

So what would be the proper Wyvern-Spider ratio?

I kind of think it is number of wyverns +1= number of spider squads.

1 squad of spiders is just a pain. They almost never survive long enough to get to use their web special. The Wyvern helps quite a bit by being able to bring back something for them to try it on, but at soon as one dies, you're out of luck. Drafting at least two allows you to lose a couple and still be able to use their web special. It also allows you to send out five and leave on sitting in the start zone to manage predator order markers like Warlord Alpha said. With a wyvern to deal with, I doubt an enemy is going to worry about the spiders until the wyvern is gone, or unless they are engaged to a spider and don't want to chance a disengagement hit. That said, I think anymore than one squad of spiders per wyvern (after the extra one for casualty purposes) is too much. You'll end up with a bunch of spiders sitting on the field with no more predators to bond with.

Of course, if you bring Estivara along, Spiders get boosted up to where they may offer a threat to enemy figures, and the ratio could then be altered accordingly.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old March 31st, 2010, 07:21 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post

1 squad of spiders is just a pain. They almost never survive long enough to get to use their web special. The Wyvern helps quite a bit by being able to bring back something for them to try it on, but at soon as one dies, you're out of luck. Drafting at least two allows you to lose a couple and still be able to use their web special. It also allows you to send out five and leave on sitting in the start zone to manage predator order markers like Warlord Alpha said. With a wyvern to deal with, I doubt an enemy is going to worry about the spiders until the wyvern is gone, or unless they are engaged to a spider and don't want to chance a disengagement hit. That said, I think anymore than one squad of spiders per wyvern (after the extra one for casualty purposes) is too much. You'll end up with a bunch of spiders sitting on the field with no more predators to bond with.

Of course, if you bring Estivara along, Spiders get boosted up to where they may offer a threat to enemy figures, and the ratio could then be altered accordingly.
I like the following:

1 Wyvern = 2 spider squads
1 Wyvern + Venoc Warlord = 2 spider squads if you have more scouts (read: Vipers or Mohicans), 3 if not.
1 Wyvern + Estivara = 3 squads
1 Wyvern + Estivara + Venoc Warlord = 3-4 squads, depending on other scouts
Sujoah = unplayable now that Wyvern and Estivara can be played in the same army for less than him and do nearly exactly the same thing, except they also grab people and boost the Spiders' attack.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old March 31st, 2010, 09:23 AM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post

I like the following:

1 Wyvern = 2 spider squads
1 Wyvern + Venoc Warlord = 2 spider squads if you have more scouts (read: Vipers or Mohicans), 3 if not.
1 Wyvern + Estivara = 3 squads
1 Wyvern + Estivara + Venoc Warlord = 3-4 squads, depending on other scouts
Sujoah = unplayable now that Wyvern and Estivara can be played in the same army for less than him and do nearly exactly the same thing, except they also grab people and boost the Spiders' attack.

Oh, alright. You can take your Wyvern along, and I'll take X17.

Now that I think of it, how would that work? COULD an enemy wyvern even carry Major X, or would it's movement be stopped by Improved Cyberclaw?

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old March 31st, 2010, 10:44 AM

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Yes - a Wyvern could grab X17, but after it lands it would be stuck.

It won't matter though - my Estivara's venom will wreck X17.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old March 31st, 2010, 12:30 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:

KC, I see a troubling pattern. Is Estivara turning into the new Runa for you?

Last edited by Rich10; March 31st, 2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old March 31st, 2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich10 View Post
Quote:

KC, I see a troubling pattern. Is Estivara turning into the new Runa for you?
I don't know - she is a lot like Runa, huh? She's an evil, female Utgar figure with a D20 Special Power that kills anything on a 20. The only difference is she's actually useful.

I don't think Runa will ever truly be replaced, but I do like Estivara a lot because she works well with my other favorite hero - Mittens.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old March 31st, 2010, 12:38 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:

And then my Dund will come in and paralyze all your guys in fear(Right after NGS mindshackles the Wyvern, of course)!

In all seriousness, we'll just have to wait and see how well X17 does!

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old October 29th, 2010, 04:20 PM
GenCon 2013 Main Event Champion

The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker

When I first viewed the Wyvern's Talon Grab ability, I thought that it was a real game changer. But after having played a handful of times with one or two of them in an army, it doesn't seem like this figure has overly changed the game. Granted, I haven't gone up against an army that is overly reliant on Raelin, but I did recently have a battle in which one time it was definitely NOT to my advantage to talon grab, and the other time it was.

Here was the match-up.

Spiders x 2
Wyvern x 2
4th Massachusetts x 3
Drake (ROTV)
600 points

against

Mohican River Tribe x 3
Brave Heart
Axegrinders x 2
Darrak Ambershard
Migol Ironwill
Water Elemental x 1
600 points

In one instance, my first Wyvern alighted where he had height advantage against Migol. I thought about Talon Grab, but the result would be the loss of height advantage. So I kept the Wyvern there, using him and 4th Massachusetts to bring Migol down. Keeping Migol away from the high ground where he could gain the height advantage was more important.

In the second instance, after the first Wyvern had been taken down by dwarves, I had the chance to engage Darrak with the second Wyvern. He was over in one corner of the board with a couple of Dwarves and Tribesmen. I realized that his Sneak Attack power could prove detrimental. So after the initial engagement and attack (inflicting one wound or so), I disengaged, used Talon Grab, and carried him over to the other corner where the Wyvern disposed of him there away from his companions.

It wasn't a major earth shattering blow, but one of many throughout the game. In every battle there may not be the huge opportunity, but perhaps a small scale tipping point. Talon Grab can prove useful in certain situations, but not every situation.

Have fun and stay busy - Luke 19:13

The Orange Mailman
Old October 29th, 2010, 04:28 PM

I've found Talon Grab to be very useful. My favorite uses of it so far are:
  1. Pick up a figure and drop it so it's engaged to 3 Spiders. Then, if the Wyvern fails to kill it, you can try and Entangle it while moving and attacking with 3 different Spiders (if you want).
  2. Pick up a blocker or screen figure and move it so the Spiders can get at the important units.
  3. Pick up a figure on height and move it down
  4. Pick up a figure in Raelin's aura and drop it outside of Raelin's aura.
  5. Pick up Raelin and drop her onto a hex where a bunch of Estivara-boosted Spiders can get high ground on the same turn, and wreck her (this works for pretty much any hero, but I love killing Raelin)

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units