Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old November 1st, 2010, 10:52 AM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!
Re: Martial Arts

I took Judo as a small kid, practiced (ie. sparred) with a Shotokan black belt in high school as well as trained with a buddy who was a real-life professional Muay Thai fighter back in Vietnam before he and his family emigrated to the US, and now I train with a Shorin-Ryu Reinshi. That being said, aside from my "yoot", I never trained at a dojo. I consider my rank to be a lack-belt (yes, I missed the B on purpose) since I actually have no belt.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old November 1st, 2010, 12:09 PM
Back of man! I can't spell!

Bannister has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
I took Judo as a small kid, practiced (ie. sparred) with a Shotokan black belt in high school as well as trained with a buddy who was a real-life professional Muay Thai fighter back in Vietnam before he and his family emigrated to the US, and now I train with a Shorin-Ryu Reinshi. That being said, aside from my "yoot", I never trained at a dojo. I consider my rank to be a lack-belt (yes, I missed the B on purpose) since I actually have no belt.
Hey, what kind of belt do you have?

Canvas, JC Penny, $3.98. You like?

Bannister

That can only mean one thing. And I don't know what it is.
Old November 1st, 2010, 12:25 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Congratulations!

I'm a black belt in Kyuki-do, which is a mixed art that Ken Ok Hyung Kim started when he came from Korea to my area back in the 60s. It's mostly Tae Kwon Do, but has a bit of Hapkido and Judo thrown in too.

I started doing pure Judo too about a year and a half ago, and I'll probably test for Green belt in a month or two. It usually takes around 5 years to get a black belt in Judo. I like it a lot better than the pure Tae Kwon Do or Karate kind of stuff. I wasn't joking when I said that I throw people to help relieve stress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; November 1st, 2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: since GenCon, I've participated in more judo tournaments than 'scape.
Old November 1st, 2010, 12:58 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post
Haha, thanks! It's real exciting, all right!

Though I'd have to say that kolakoski's much more badass than I.
Thanks, but, even though I just tested for, and was promoted to, Sandan (third degree Black Belt) in Kenchikai Karate, I am 60 years old. When people hear that I am a Black Belt, and make comments, "Oooo, better not %^&* him off!", I tell them, "No, I'm just able to run away more efficiently."
Old November 1st, 2010, 07:49 PM
Uniquest Hero and Classic Drafter 2008

Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker

Congrats, man!

I was interested in martial arts for years as a child, but my parents were afraid that if my brother and/or I had any formal training we'd kill each other.

I studied Kenpo for about 4 months between HS and college, but had to quit due to my college studies. Needless to say, I only earned a yellow belt.

After college, I turned to Jujitsu. Our instructor was a 6th dan in Judo, so we learned his somewhat unconventional version of Jujitsu alongside formal Judo.

I spent about 4 years studying Jujitsu and Judo, and earned a black belt in Jujitsu and a brown belt in Judo. While the Judo advancements were more formal, the Jujitsu advancements were at the discretion of Coach. There was no pomp or circumstance - one day, when he thought you were ready, Coach would open the class with a small advancement ceremony. That was it.

So, again - congrats on your achievement! With such a mentally and physically grueling exam, I'm sure this is something you'll never forget - something you can always look back on when the road ahead isn't paved with sugar & spice.
Old November 14th, 2010, 11:02 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Well, the big show and ceremony was today, so I'm finally officially a black belt! So exciting, ahh... My instructor asked me to play piano, so I got to perform some Debussy on the piano at the show, which was great! And all the new black belts did some forms together and such. It was a great time!
And our instructor gave this one man from our community an "honorary black belt," because pretty much everyone in this county knows him for the TONS of volunteer work that he's done, and everything he's done for this community. So that was pretty cool!

Emotional ol' me got choked up a few times, but I kind of expected that. It was all really great!

Now, tomorrow's my first class as a black belt! Hehehe!
Old November 14th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Has Roman Archers with a Combined Attack of 18. Seriously.

DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Well, the big show and ceremony was today, so I'm finally officially a black belt! So exciting, ahh... My instructor asked me to play piano, so I got to perform some Debussy on the piano at the show, which was great! And all the new black belts did some forms together and such. It was a great time!
And our instructor gave this one man from our community an "honorary black belt," because pretty much everyone in this county knows him for the TONS of volunteer work that he's done, and everything he's done for this community. So that was pretty cool!

Emotional ol' me got choked up a few times, but I kind of expected that. It was all really great!

Now, tomorrow's my first class as a black belt! Hehehe!
Congrats, my black belts always complain of pains after a blackbelts only class.

I started Tung Soo Do end of last school year. I am now a 7th gup orange belt. I love the martial arts alot, and will probably pick up something like judo or jujitsu to compliment the arts. And maybe something like Kali a more weapons based art.

It truely does help relieve stress. I mean where alse can you kick a guy in the head, and have him laugh about it. One of my favorite saying in sparring is "Have you ever looked through your earhole before" replies "what do you mean" *smack* "Now your looking through your earhole" replies "Thanks, I needed that. "

Sorry to hear that you found an instructer who pushes people through just for money. My master has had this place for almost 10 years and he only has like 5/6 black belts. Thing of it is it only takes 2 1/2-3 years to get a black belt in Tung Soo Do. My blackbelts tell me that when they test they had to do something like 200 push-ups, 400 jumping jacks, ect. So I am looking forward to when I reach that stage also. 2 years left !

DragonSlayer2

In war, indeed, there is no substitute for victory. ~General MacArthur

Great Traders: Nyys, generalgina, Porkins, Grand Moff Venom, Bogusoid, MikeLizzio, FEDEX WORKER
MY TRADE LIST
Old November 15th, 2010, 01:05 AM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer2 View Post
Sorry to hear that you found an instructer who pushes people through just for money. My master has had this place for almost 10 years and he only has like 5/6 black belts. Thing of it is it only takes 2 1/2-3 years to get a black belt in Tung Soo Do. My blackbelts tell me that when they test they had to do something like 200 push-ups, 400 jumping jacks, ect. So I am looking forward to when I reach that stage also. 2 years left !
No, not just for the money, you must've misread! He's a great guy! It takes at least 3 years to get the 1st Dan black belt at this school, so it's not too far off. Yeah, it's probably an EASIER place to get it then other more "hardcore" schools, but this is a family center, so he won't turn away students, he's just selective about who can join the candidates classes for black belt.

It's all how you view it, I guess. If you do the bare minimum amount of work to be able to get the black belt (Which I know a lot of people do, sadly), then that's the skill level you are. I'm not like that, and have practiced and worked out myself outside of class (And even taught myself how to use nunchaku), so like I said, it's mostly your state of mind.

But regardless, I wouldn't trade all of the experience and lessons I've learned at this school for anything. It was an amazing journey!
Old November 15th, 2010, 01:14 AM
...has moist legs

Random picture from the show of me flying, woohoo!

Spoiler Alert!
Old November 15th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Has Roman Archers with a Combined Attack of 18. Seriously.

DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Random picture from the show of me flying, woohoo!

Spoiler Alert!
Very nice. I was talking about the other guy when I referenced the money.
</IMG>

In war, indeed, there is no substitute for victory. ~General MacArthur

Great Traders: Nyys, generalgina, Porkins, Grand Moff Venom, Bogusoid, MikeLizzio, FEDEX WORKER
MY TRADE LIST
Old November 15th, 2010, 11:36 AM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Congratulations!

I'm a black belt in Kyuki-do, which is a mixed art that Ken Ok Hyung Kim started when he came from Korea to my area back in the 60s. It's mostly Tae Kwon Do, but has a bit of Hapkido and Judo thrown in too.

I studied Judo for about 4 years and Tuite-jutsu for about 2. I was a purple belt in judo (when we moved we couldn't find a judo dojo in our new location ) and studied Tuite privately.
Old November 15th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamaclown View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Congratulations!

I studied Judo for about 4 years and Tuite-jutsu for about 2. I was a purple belt in judo (when we moved we couldn't find a judo dojo in our new location ) and studied Tuite privately.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but everybody know Tuite...

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General