Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > TV
TV Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old February 10th, 2008, 12:15 PM

Havokscry has disabled reputation
Sean Casey had 4 homeruns last year in 453 ab. Alex Cora is not a power guy. Coco will probably not be around and I'm not sure if they will resign Kielty. I agree that character guys are essential to any team, but with the Yankees in the division you'll need offense.

Both Manny and Papi had down years offensively and nagging injuries. Lowell had a career contract year. I agree that Ellsbury is the future and hopefully he can develop Sizemore like power, but you can't really expect that early on. I'm not sold on Kevin Youkilis. Sure he's great defensively, but he kind of struggled down the stretch again and you'd hope for more power and production from a corner infield position.

As for the pitching, outside of Beckett and a few spot starts from some rookies, everyone seemed to struggle in August and September. Wakefield was pitching batting practice, Dice-K couldn't find the plate, and Tavarez lost his starting job due to poor performance. Thankfully, most caught their breath in the playoffs and turned things around a bit.

The Yankees worry me, but not so much with their 2008 team. Their $1.2 billion stadium is going to give them the resources to spend much more than they are now. Fenway is pretty much capped for upgrades, although they are still trying to squeeze more seats in. Boston fans are already paying the highest ticket prices by far.

Old February 10th, 2008, 02:19 PM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havokscry
Sean Casey had 4 homeruns last year in 453 ab. Alex Cora is not a power guy. Coco will probably not be around and I'm not sure if they will resign Kielty. I agree that character guys are essential to any team, but with the Yankees in the division you'll need offense.

Both Manny and Papi had down years offensively and nagging injuries. Lowell had a career contract year. I agree that Ellsbury is the future and hopefully he can develop Sizemore like power, but you can't really expect that early on. I'm not sold on Kevin Youkilis. Sure he's great defensively, but he kind of struggled down the stretch again and you'd hope for more power and production from a corner infield position.

As for the pitching, outside of Beckett and a few spot starts from some rookies, everyone seemed to struggle in August and September. Wakefield was pitching batting practice, Dice-K couldn't find the plate, and Tavarez lost his starting job due to poor performance. Thankfully, most caught their breath in the playoffs and turned things around a bit.

The Yankees worry me, but not so much with their 2008 team. Their $1.2 billion stadium is going to give them the resources to spend much more than they are now. Fenway is pretty much capped for upgrades, although they are still trying to squeeze more seats in. Boston fans are already paying the highest ticket prices by far.
Don't be so caught up on power off the bench. We didn't have any last year and it didn't hurt us. All we need to do is keep games close and get it to Oki and Papelbon and we'll be fine. Casey I think will mostly be used as rest for Youkillis and Lowell. All in all, I think the Sox have a lot less to worry about than most teams do.

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old February 10th, 2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidysox
Quote:

Don't be so caught up on power off the bench. We didn't have any last year and it didn't hurt us. All we need to do is keep games close and get it to Oki and Papelbon and we'll be fine. Casey I think will mostly be used as rest for Youkillis and Lowell. All in all, I think the Sox have a lot less to worry about than most teams do.
Don't forget that the Sox almost lost a double digit lead in the AL East last year. The bench didn't really step up much last year when there were injuries to Manny and Drew. Ellsbury was really the only bright spot. Hinske and Pena had a few spurts, but performed under par for the most part. If the Yankees would have come back to win the division last year, who knows how things would have ended up.

Old February 10th, 2008, 09:19 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Quote:
The only stat more overrated than Home Runs is Wins (for pitchers). It's all about getting on base and run production. What team has big power hitters coming off their bench? Kielty was signed to a minor league deal last week.

Quote:
Manny had his normal bumps an bruises but he didn't have anything chronic last year. I'm willing to bet on a HUGE year from Manny, he wants that option picked-up and if not he wants high bidders in the off-season.

Papi was hurt all year and he still put up big numbers. He's expected to be fully recovered from the knee surgery this past off-season. With that problem solved he'll reach back towards those gaudy numbers of 05/06.

Agreed Lowell had a career season (though he has had better), but the type of hitter he is he's built for Fenway. I expect a few less HRs this year, a few more doubles, but the same type of run production with Papi and Manny ahead of him again.

Youk has been very consistent the last two seasons in the end year numbers, no reason not the expect more of the same. Again, more about production, not power.

Quote:
Dog days of summer there aren't many players who don't slow down in August. Sounds like every other team in baseball, they all go thru it.

Quote:
After winning 2 of the last 4 WS I have full faith in current ownership

Last edited by nyys; September 9th, 2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:25 PM

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Don't forget that the Sox almost lost a double digit lead in the AL East last year.
That wasn't due to poor play, they had the 2nd or 3rd best 2nd half record in the AL last year. It was the insane run the Y-----s went on in the 2nd half (that wasn't really unexpected considering how unexpectedly awful they were to start the season) that closed the gap.
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys
Quote:
After winning 2 of the last 4 WS I have full faith in current ownership
I'm not saying that I don't have faith in the current ownership. What I'm saying is that I don't think the Red Sox can continue to pay huge contracts without a new stadium. I think the owners are hinting at that. I would bet within five years that there will be groundbreaking on a new Fenway.

As for the pitching, I'd be on the horn with Tampa trying to pry Kazmir from them. They probably could get him with a combination of Lester, Masterson, and a second tier prospect.

Old February 10th, 2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying that I don't have faith in the current ownership. What I'm saying is that I don't think the Red Sox can continue to pay huge contracts without a new stadium. I think the owners are hinting at that. I would bet within five years that there will be groundbreaking on a new Fenway.
Hmmm... I don't know about that, they've put an awful lot of cash into Fenway, I'd be surprised if they tried the new stadium thing anytime soon.

Quote:
As for the pitching, I'd be on the horn with Tampa trying to pry Kazmir from them. They probably could get him with a combination of Lester, Masterson, and a second tier prospect.
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:34 AM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys
Quote:
Hmmm... I don't know about that, they've put an awful lot of cash into Fenway, I'd be surprised if they tried the new stadium thing anytime soon.

Quote:
I wouldn't bet on seeing a new Fenway either. Can you imagine the publics response if they tried to pull that? As for Kazmir, I would love to see that. Even if for the only reason is that he seems to own the Sox. All in all I'm really excited for this season.

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old February 11th, 2008, 01:26 PM

hesh has disabled reputation
Enough talk about a team that bought their championship.
Old February 11th, 2008, 01:29 PM

hesh has disabled reputation
Just kidding about the last post. If the Yankees set the salary bar, you have no choice but to keep up. It just sucks when you are a die hard Brewer fan, and you know that if they dont get it done in the next 3 years, this team is gonna be raided by the big spenders.
Old February 11th, 2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesh
Just kidding about the last post. If the Yankees set the salary bar, you have no choice but to keep up. It just sucks when you are a die hard Brewer fan, and you know that if they don't get it done in the next 3 years, this team is gonna be raided by the big spenders.
I actually have no problem with comments like that, it's true, but it's also true of every team, nobody gets players for free. The problem is with the owners who cry poor mouth when they all have plenty to spend and choose not too.

The Brew crew seem to be a nice up and coming team, but you're right about only having a small window of opportunity, unless of course they start to open the purse strings a little. Good luck with Gagne though, why did they give him that kind of $$?

At least you're not a Tampa Bay fan, they easily have the best group of young talent, but they have to contend with both Boston and NY making their window even smaller.
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:25 AM

Well unless there is a change in their story either (arguably) the best pitcher of our generation or his trainer (who has no reason too) is going to lie under oath to congress today.

Will be interesting.

<happy evil post - 666>

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > TV