Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old April 2nd, 2010, 03:04 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Book of the Wyvern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schulzy View Post
Played a game against a couple of Wyverns the other day, and I can testify to how much better they make the spiders. I played on a map with just two tiles of uncontained lava (i.e. on the same level as the rock spaces next to it), and was absolutly wrecked when it kept dropping figure after figure into the flow. He had his spiders run around holding the glyphs on his side of the field, and dropped a couple of figures into them too, which didn't turn out so well.
Agreed. If you have a map tailor made to the wyverns, they are amazing!

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old April 2nd, 2010, 04:51 PM
Tickle Pickle

tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth

You could "accidentally" stick some lava where a Wyvern could take benefit of it.
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:23 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation

Quote:
Talon Grab : & Figures on 6th, 7th spaces of Move:
Q: Does the Wyvern technically "fly" over its landing space? Can it move an enemy figure forward with its 7th move?
A: The Wyvern must be able to end its movement before placing the carried figure. Not only can the Wyvern NOT carry a figure on the 7th space of its movement, but it cannot carry a figure on the 6th space either. Its movement must end first.
I read most of the discussion on this, but I think there is a situation where you can Talon Grab a figure on the 6th space. It simply involves a U-turn in the air, which I have no reason to believe is not possible.

Consider that the Wyvern is 6 spaces away from Sudema:

W W o o o o o S

then he flies 6 spaces so that his front space is over Sudema:

----------W W
o o o o o o o S

But then he does not continue forward, but instead backtracks, changing his "leading edge space" to be his former "trailing edge space." Double-space figures can do this on ground and I believe in the air. Then he simply flies a step back and places Sudema behind him.

o o o o S W W o

I believe this is legal (and a useful move), so does anyone disagree?
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:46 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!

I agree with your above example BurnyFlame. It seems in your example, which seems legal, the Wyvern could carry on it's sixth movement -- not what the Q&A says.
Old April 12th, 2010, 01:20 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggler View Post
I agree with your above example BurnyFlame. It seems in your example, which seems legal, the Wyvern could carry on it's sixth movement -- not what the Q&A says.
I agree also. That's the only scenario where the trailing end of the Wyvern does NOT follow the leading end onto the 6th space. The Wyvern can pass over the 6th space and still land before placing the Grabbed figure. I'll add it.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:18 AM

N/A is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

The wyvern is one of the few figures I think can benefit from multiple order markers in the first opening turns, his speed allows him to get at the opponents first advancing figured and carry them back to your start zone for swamping. Keeping track of your opponents order markers can be useful too, letting you know which of his heroes wont be acting this round and are prime swoop material.

I consider using 3 order markers and risking 2 disengage attacks is worth dumping Drake or Sonlen either in lava or veeeery far away.

In addition they can bond with the spiders somewhat effectivley, dumping a unit in the middle of them and then attempting the entangle, still not entirely useful. Also one of the most oddly positioned figures on its base I've ever seen
Old August 25th, 2010, 12:02 AM

screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker

Newbie question... can you talon grab a flying figure?
Old August 25th, 2010, 12:08 AM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

Yes. Any opponent's Small or Medium figure.
Old August 25th, 2010, 12:24 AM

master4sword knows what's in an order marker master4sword knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwDriver View Post
Newbie question... can you talon grab a flying figure?
I believe so.
Old August 25th, 2010, 12:35 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Best Wyvern story ever:

I was playing one of my first games with it and I managed to snag my opponent's Raelin from behind enemy lines, fly back towards my guys, and on the turn I grabbed, the Wyvern landed all skulls to finish Raelin off (she had one wound before). Talk about awesome!

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:25 AM

screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker

So that means I can grab a figure in flight and land it on water (if it benefits me, i.e. I have armies with powers enhanced by water). Which begs me to ask follow up questions... What happens if a flying figure lands on water? I don't think we have drowning penalties but do they suffer any penalties when taking flight again or is water treated like land for figures with flying abilities? Are you allowed to end a turn with a flying figure hovering over water or lava?

Sorry for the newbie questions and thanks for the clarifications.
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:03 AM

Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwDriver View Post
So that means I can grab a figure in flight and land it on water (if it benefits me, i.e. I have armies with powers enhanced by water). Which begs me to ask follow up questions... What happens if a flying figure lands on water? I don't think we have drowning penalties but do they suffer any penalties when taking flight again or is water treated like land for figures with flying abilities? Are you allowed to end a turn with a flying figure hovering over water or lava?

Sorry for the newbie questions and thanks for the clarifications.
Technically, the flying figure would actually land in the water, rather than hover over it. And in the case of Lava, the figure would have to roll for lava damage if it "lands" (ends its movement) on the lava space. The only flying that ever actually happens is during the movement phase of a turn.

And to quote Cavalier, Heroscape is a game, not a simulation. For the sake of simplicity, many game mechanics defy logic and reason. I too like to try and rationalize certain aspects of the game, but I understand that the game was not designed to be rationalized.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units