Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old August 16th, 2021, 11:14 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: AndreThaGiant's Pre-Pre-SoV Thread

My point with the X-Men is that they have different powers. Each is its own mutation. A field of nearly-identical mutated creatures - mutated humans or otherwise - doesn't work.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 17th, 2021, 09:18 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
I kinda like that Incite Violence increases the Warhulk's odds of killing his own. They're egging him on and then they get clobbered: a very Mad-Max visual gag really. Even if they get killed (which they might not with the Mutated Skin) it's probably worth it; the Ogre Warhulk doesn't feel worth his 150 points when he's not swinging at his full power. That whirlwind attack for 5 on a double-spaced figure is what you're paying for.
Mutated Skin does not protect against the Ogre Warhulk since he uses normal attacks. They are likely to die against his attacks, making them sacrifices for a measly +1. The real problem is that you want multiple of them to beef up the chance, which means you will likely loose even more, but there must necessarily be fewer enemy unit adjacent to be able to do so. I think this power is a straight-up liability with Ogre Warhulks and in the long run people will not pair the two.

For the record, I agree with D_S about Mutated Skin. I get Andre's explanation, but I don't think the minis or the trope suggest it. But I'm not strongly against it either, as the explanation does make sense.

I disagree with D_S about making them earthers. I'm fine with future earth mutants straying from humanity, whether by strange mutations or human experimentation. At least from the picture these look like they have some human in them. Don't expect this opinion to be dominant in VC, though.
Old August 17th, 2021, 09:33 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I wonder if it would be easier to work with these minis by making one of them a common hero. Making them a squad is introducing the challenges of creating a 2 man melee squad without an obvious payoff. And if we were looking at a hero, even a cheap common one, the effect of multiple identical “mutants” wouldn’t be quite so jarring. Whether from earth or otherwise.

= =
Old August 17th, 2021, 10:14 AM

AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I wonder if it would be easier to work with these minis by making one of them a common hero. Making them a squad is introducing the challenges of creating a 2 man melee squad without an obvious payoff. And if we were looking at a hero, even a cheap common one, the effect of multiple identical “mutants” wouldn’t be quite so jarring. Whether from earth or otherwise.
You're referring to a Nottingham Brigand-type route?
Alternatively, there's been both preference and distaste for different colored models for this squad. If I stick with the Xulgaths (which I really want to), there are 4 I have to choose from-
Old August 17th, 2021, 10:43 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Right. I’m phone posting right now so I’m keeping these kind of short, but the idea is that designing a 3 man melee squad is very difficult. You need it to be something that can be part of an army that can cross a battlefield, but moving 2 at a time you can’t easily get there. So you have to add a gadget to the card to increase survivability. Making them common heroes simplifies the choices and the role on the battlefield in a way that can be helpful to a designer.

= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; August 17th, 2021 at 10:44 AM. Reason: * 2 man
Old August 17th, 2021, 10:52 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreThaGiant View Post
Quote:
You're referring to a Nottingham Brigand-type route?
Alternatively, there's been both preference and distaste for different colored models for this squad. If I stick with the Xulgaths (which I really want to), there are 4 I have to choose from-
The only issue with 4 man is the minis don't all look like mutants like the first two.

You may want to reevaluate what your goal is. If you only want a SoV induction you are going to have a hard time since your vision will be corrupt Ed by the odd judges that comment.

You really want a concrete vision which seems to be mauraders that synergize with Max. Figure out which minis you want to use are first. Then build you power house to make them fun and interesting. things like personality, and class should flow from there as natural extension of the design. If you are lucky what you end up with will fit into cannon. If not you will still have an awesome custom.

I literally have a hundred custom units in my personal collection, and some are my favorite units overall. They will never be SoV units and that is okay as long as I, my friends and family enjoy them.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old August 17th, 2021, 11:10 AM

AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I created this thread to gather feedback on custom units that I confidently feel have a fighting chance in the SoV process. Sure, I have dozens of custom cards in a folder, but these are the ones I am serious about submitting to SoV at some point. Normally I would just post in the SoV Workshop, but the intent here is to get help polishing a card so that it's as ready as possible for playtesting and subsequently the judges. If concepts don't make it out of this thread, then so be it. That doesn't mean I'm gonna stop trying

A big thanks to everyone who has dropped in to help so far!
Old August 17th, 2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Right. I’m phone posting right now so I’m keeping these kind of short, but the idea is that designing a 3 man melee squad is very difficult. You need it to be something that can be part of an army that can cross a battlefield, but moving 2 at a time you can’t easily get there. So you have to add a gadget to the card to increase survivability. Making them common heroes simplifies the choices and the role on the battlefield in a way that can be helpful to a designer.
So knowing that there is only one 3-man squad with bonding to make it through SoV (Zettian Infantry), and multiple 1-man cards with bonding, are my chances statistically better of passing with a common hero with bonding vs. common squad with bonding?
Old August 17th, 2021, 11:30 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreThaGiant View Post
So knowing that there is only one 3-man squad with bonding to make it through SoV (Zettian Infantry), and multiple 1-man cards with bonding, are my chances statistically better of passing with a common hero with bonding vs. common squad with bonding?
Statistics mean nothing. A great unit will pass, anything else will fail.

The problem with the figures is that, from the pictures at least, the first two figures are so similar in look that the other two don't fit. Maybe the third (I'd have to see a picture of them side-by-side on the battlefield), but the 4th is really out there. If I were making a custom with these, I would probably use all four with a repaint job to give them all the same coloration.
Old August 17th, 2021, 11:36 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

I agree completely with Scy.

The statistics don’t mean anything. Please don’t try to reverse engineer us. The low number of small melee squads is probably just a reflection of the fact that small common melee squads are extremely difficult to do well. Even 3-man melee squads, and this one is only 2.

And adding other minis that don’t match the first 2 is a step backward, not forward.

Consider, as I suggested, a common hero. Several of your problems might just go away. See what you get.

= =
Old August 17th, 2021, 11:42 AM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

You could also consider only using 1 of the matching color sculpts with the 2 that don’t match. Then the not matching wouldn’t stick out like it does with 2 of the 4 matching.

Tournament Record:126-52 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Old August 17th, 2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Please don’t try to reverse engineer us.
Wasn't my intent- just trying to get a feel for what makes the most sense. These are uncharted waters for me and I'm still learning.

It's easy to get diverted with so many different opinions. I was influenced by an idea that different colored mutants might be plausible, but I should have gone with my gut.

The figures should come in soon and I will upload better pics for comparison. If the pigment is pretty far off, I would consider transitioning to a common hero.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards