Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender
AotP Blender A place to discuss AotP customs and ways to integrate Heroscape with AotP.

Old August 23rd, 2021, 03:12 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: SIEGE's AotP Converted Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIEGE View Post
I see three options one can take with AotP customs. One is to make totally new stats (AotV). Two is to convert the AotP stats as faithfully as possible into Heroscape mechanics while dropping all of the Magic-specific mechanics (Spells, Summoning, Mana Colors, Planeswalkers) (my project). Three is to convert the AotP stats into Heroscape in a way that is balanced while including the Magic-specific mechanics. I see room for official projects for all three on this site. I think it would be neat if my project became the official project for option two.
I completely agree. I first tried playing a mix of games using @TREX 's Heroscape/AOTP Mixed Play Rules (which he deleted) and official cards of both. But then I realized the games were not balanced properly with each other, especially Planeswalkers and spells (some powers and spells are extremely powerful against squadscape, others are useless). I think I played one game using some of @aquamaniac27 's AotP Customs and was fine. But then I saw your stuff and was much impressed, so agree it is a great starting point for balanced conversions that remove spells and summoning. Now I am excited for AotP project although we have been slow going on playtesting.
Old August 27th, 2021, 09:48 PM

gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby!

@SIEGE I like the point value update for the Event Hero versions of the Eldrazi Ruiner. I played tested them with your updated values and agree the reduction works well.

After quite a few play tests with my versions of the Planeswalkers with the additional spell as an ability and the Planeswalkers without I must say I like both. I was worried that my version of the Planewalkers might be overpowered, but what I have discovered is that they are not and actually add a unique strategic change in my game play when I use those versus the non-spell ability versions. Since I lowered the point value for the non-spell versions that will give me a good option to play one or the other based on point value of the game. They have quickly become some of my favorite units both in their sculpts and the cards. I do fully understand your reasoning on keeping your versions without the additional spell ability due to keeping it as true to their original card as possible. That is one key aspect as to why I stayed tied to your AotP project over the others because I felt it kept the original intent of the game creator's vision in tact.

As for the submission to C3V I agree with your thoughts that that is most likely not the best place for it. I have looked at many of the AotP projects. Most are incomplete and seem to have died off. There are definitely some great ideas across all of them, but your project for the two official Masters Sets and the one Large Expansion set is complete, well developed, and has a focused vision. Playing your converted versions in Heroscape makes me feel like nothing was lost from their AotP versions when playing straight up AotP. I have truly enjoyed providing you inputs and collaborating with you on your project. I agree it would be great if your project was the official project for option 2.

If you want any of the updated graphics I incorporated in my versions and/or the updated target images (red) let me know and I will upload them on this thread.
Old August 28th, 2021, 05:48 PM

SIEGE knows what's in an order marker SIEGE knows what's in an order marker SIEGE knows what's in an order marker

@gatormustang That is cool how the added spell abilities change up the strategies for the Planeswalker units, and it makes sense. It opens an interesting possibility of having multiple versions of a figure, like Sgt. Drake and Raelin. Thank you for your continued contributions to this project. That would be great if you could share the graphics and target images. I would like to update the cards with the better images.

@lefton4ya It will be great when AotV is completed because it will fulfill the first option nicely. I hope all three options take shape. How does one go about making an official customs project like AotV or SoV with its own sub-forum? I could see transitioning this thread into an official custom project to fulfill option two. Also, is it possible to rename a thread? gatormustang has contributed so much to this project that I would prefer to remove my name from the title since it's a collaboration now. If not, that's ok. I plan to credit gatormustang in the main post, and if this is going to become an official project, it will get a more appropriate name then anyway.

Quick spoiler: I am working on rulebooks for the three sets that convert the glyphs, cryptoliths, scenarios, etc.
Old August 31st, 2021, 08:17 PM

gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby!

@SIEGE below is all of the artwork I used and the target images converted in red. Hopefully this saves you time on incorporating them in to your cards. When I incorporated the artwork images in my cards I had to do some touch ups to make the image fully fill in the image zone. The artwork I have uploaded should fit perfectly in to your cards. For the Ghoul Vanguard Zombies target image you could just use the Restless Zombies target image. In my card version for that I simply removed the weapons on the Restless Zombies target image, but it really does not matter.

ARLINN KORD ARTWORK AND TARGET

ARLINN ARTWORK AND TARGET

AVACYN ARTWORK AND TARGET

AVACYNIAN INQUISITORS ARTWORK AND TARGET

BLAZING FIRECATS ARTWORK AND TARGET

BLIGHTED REAVERS ARTWORK AND TARGET

BLOODLINE NOBLES ARTWORK AND TARGET

CHANDRA NALAAR ARTWORK AND TARGET

ELDRAZI RUINER ARTWORK AND TARGET

ELDRAZI SCIONS ARTWORK AND TARGET

ELF RANGERS ARTWORK AND TARGET

FLAMEWING PHOENIXES ARTWORK AND TARGET

GHOUL VANGUARD ARTWORK AND TARGET

GHOUL VANGUARD ZOMBIES ARTWORK AND TARGET

GIDEON JURA ARTWORK AND TARGET

GOBLIN JAVELINEERS ARTWORK AND TARGET

ILLUSIONARY PROJECTIONS ARTWORK AND TARGET

JACE BELEREN INVESTIGATOR ARTWORK AND TARGET

JACE BELEREN MINDMAGE ARTWORK AND TARGET

KESSIG RANGERS ARTWORK AND TARGET

KESSIG RAVAGERS ARTWORK AND TARGET

KIORA ARTWORK AND TARGET

KOR AERONAUT CAPTAIN ARTWORK AND TARGET

KOR HOOKMASTERS ARTWORK AND TARGET

LANTERN GEISTS ARTWORK AND TARGET

LEYLINE PHANTOMS ARTWORK AND TARGET

LILIANA VESS ARTWORK AND TARGET

MAD PROPHET ARTWORK AND TARGET

MALAKIR BLOODCHASERS ARTWORK AND TARGET

MERFOLK ROILMAGE ARTWORK AND TARGET

NAHIRI ARTWORK AND TARGET

NECRO ALCHEMIST ARTWORK AND TARGET

NISSA REVANE ARTWORK AND TARGET

OB NIXILUS ARTWORK AND TARGET

PATH WARDENS ARTWORK AND TARGET

PUMMELROOT ELEMENTALS ARTWORK AND TARGET

RESTLESS ZOMBIES ARTWORK AND TARGET

RHOX VERTERANS ARTWORK AND TARGET

SKIRSDAG CULTIST ARTWORK AND TARGET

SORIN MARKOV ARTWORK AND TARGET

Old September 6th, 2021, 05:44 PM

SIEGE knows what's in an order marker SIEGE knows what's in an order marker SIEGE knows what's in an order marker

Thanks @gatormustang ! I downloaded the images. I'll let you know when I have the cards updated.

I created rulebooks to go along with the cards. They include rules for the glyphs, cryptoliths, etc., and scenarios converted from the AotP rulebooks. I playtested the first two scenarios for AotP and the one for Battle for Zendikar. The two AotP scenarios were fun and felt balanced. Take Down the Eldrazi Ruiner felt like the Eldrazi player had a much easier goal, but that is how I felt in the original version. If you want to playtest any of the scenarios, I would be curious to hear your experience with them and your feedback.
Old September 13th, 2021, 11:36 AM

@SIEGE since the cards for this project are either complete or close to it I have been thinking about would this project want to look at expansions. Knowing that your intent was to keep this project true to the AotP two master sets and one large set I am not sure if you feel it would keep with that intent by utilizing custom expansions. With that said I have been looking through a lot of the efforts in the AotP Blender threads and one that has inspired me to possibly look in to this is @Skyver Ravnica Expansion project. His intent was to create expansions to AotP. I know there were several options about how this was going to occur, but the final option that I read was a straight up AotP without it being converted to Heroscape. I have reached out to @Skyver via PM about leveraging the AotP cards that were created (some abilities, stats, and units used), but have not heard back. The last posting from @Skyver was two years ago so I am not sure if @Skyver is active in the community any more.

Based on the figures that D&D has released as a part of Ravnica these are readily available and the cost is inexpensive. So with all of this said below is my initial custom card conversions for the first faction Azorius Sentate.

DOVIN BAAN

The miniature used for this card is Vedalken Wizard from the "GUILDMASTERS' GUIDE TO RAVNICA" line of D&D Miniatures (Companion Set 2).

AZORIUS GUILDMAGES

The miniature used for this card is Precognitive Mage (x3) from the "GUILDMASTERS' GUIDE TO RAVNICA" Set of D&D Miniatures.

AZORIUS ARRESTERS

The miniature used for this card is Azorius Arrester (x2) from the "GUILDMASTERS' GUIDE TO RAVNICA" Set of D&D Miniatures.

SPHINX OF JUDGEMENT

The miniature used for this card is Sphinx of Judgement from the "GUILDMASTERS' GUIDE TO RAVNICA" Set of D&D Miniatures.

If this is not a direction you would like to head for the project I fully understand. If you do please provide any inputs and comments on these cards. Additionally, if you want to consider this as a part of the project once I am done with the Izzet League I will post them.

Last edited by gatormustang; September 19th, 2021 at 07:31 PM.
Old September 13th, 2021, 08:55 PM
Casing the Corners

toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

@gatormustang , I'm certainly interested in doing pure AotP expansions. No need for it to blend with classic. There's so many Magic minis out there presently, no reason to worry about blending the old stuff. C3G is its own thing, and thriving. I think we should start a group like that, with Books of [Character/Spell] dedicated to workshopping each card.

I've been spending a lot of time learning about the various guilds, using the Drive to Work podcast and articles like:https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...ius-2012-10-29.

Its a lot of work, because you have to think about the flavor of the Plane, the flavor/mechanics of the guild/faction, the flavor/mechanics of the creatures, as well as all the spells that will be designed to work with the group.

What role would each play to make these armies play like Azorius?

I've been compiling images for each mini out there. The creature card, and any other spell associated with the creature for inspiration to draw from when designing the powers for the card.

For example, Isperia:

And a New Prahv Sphinx:

The more collaboration the better! And thankfully there's great precedent for how to organize, thanks to groups like C3G. And thankfully, it looks like we have a handful of folks here who might be interested in such a project.
Old September 18th, 2021, 06:01 PM

@gatormustang , those are some neat customs! I like seeing more Unique Squads and like the conversion of the Vigilance ability. Additional expansions are outside the scope of this project since this project is just focused on converting AotP, but I could see this project partnering/collaborating with a new project that creates additional expansions, sort of like how C3V and SoV are compatible with each other and collaborate together.
Old September 19th, 2021, 05:50 PM

The cards have been updated with the high quality images and color-corrected hit zones!
Old September 21st, 2021, 03:49 PM

@SIEGE the updated cards look really good. I fully understand your thoughts on the intent of this project and not adding expansions. Not sure the interest in another project, but I think AotV is still working on their own effort. Based on toyhandle's comment it looks like he is trying to get something going that is expanding AotP. Although I like AotP I enjoy Heroscape more so that is the direction I will continue to expand. I think skyver's direction with the Ravnica Guilds is interesting and will most likely look in to making Heroscape customs based off of that although he only posted two of the guilds. In addition my intent with these customs is to make sure they stay in the MTG universe and also try to synergize with this projects custom conversions where possible. With that said I did finish both the Azorius Senate and the Izzet League. I utilized a combination of what skyver started with, actual MTG cards, and D&D figure stats for what I came up with. Below are the completed cards. Any comments or inputs on them is appreciated.

AZORIUS SENATE

DOVIN BAAN

The miniature used for this card is Vedalken Wizard from the "GUILDMASTERS' GUIDE TO RAVNICA" line of D&D Miniatures (Companion Set 2).

AZORIUS GUILDMAGES

The miniature used for this card is Precognitive Mage (x3) from the "GUILDMASTERS' GUIDE TO RAVNICA" Set of D&D Miniatures.

AZORIUS ARRESTERS

The miniature used for this card is Azorius Arrester (x2) from the "GUILDMASTERS' GUIDE TO RAVNICA" Set of D&D Miniatures.

SPHINX OF JUDGEMENT

The miniature used for this card is Sphinx of Judgement from the "GUILDMASTERS' GUIDE TO RAVNICA" Set of D&D Miniatures.

IZZET LEAGUE

RAL ZAREK

The miniature used for this card is Galvanic Blastseeker from the "GUILDMASTERS' GUIDE TO RAVNICA" Set of D&D Miniatures.

ARCLIGHT PHEONIX

The miniature used for this card is Arclight Phoenix from the "GUILDMASTERS' GUIDE TO RAVNICA" Set of D&D Miniatures.

BLISTERCOIL WEIRDS

The miniature used for this card is Blistercoil Weird (x3) from the "GUILDMASTERS' GUIDE TO RAVNICA" Set of D&D Miniatures.

WIND DRAKES

The miniature used for this card is Wind Drake (x3) from the "GUILDMASTERS' GUIDE TO RAVNICA" Set of D&D Miniatures.

Last edited by gatormustang; September 22nd, 2021 at 09:18 AM.
Old October 6th, 2021, 12:12 PM

@gatormustang , I'm really liking your Ravnica Guilds customs! It's a neat project since there are D&D minis for the Ravnica Guilds cards and you are making units that are thematic to MTG and compatible with the AotP Converted Customs project. I was going to ask if you were going to start a thread for your Ravnica Guilds customs, but I see you made one. I will respond there with more detailed feedback after I have a chance to try out the cards.

Also, I updated the card images so that they print to the size of a standard Heroscape card when you print them at actual size. I forgot that MSE doesn't export the images at the correct size.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender