Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old January 18th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Book of MacDirk Warriors

Here's what I'd go with, under the parameters you've set Silver. Though, good luck with it.

MacDirk Warriors x3 - 240pts
Alastair MacDirk - 350pts
Sir Gilbert - 455pts
Raelin 1.0 - 535pts
Marro Warriors - 585pts
10pt Ninja of your choice - 595pts.

You bond the Macdirks not with Alastair but with Gilbert- you advance them out together under protection of Raelin. Because of Jandar's Dispatch, your opponent has to take Gilbert out, and thus pump up your Macdirks. The extra move from Gilbert + the extra defense from Raelin hopefully gives you enough opportunity to lay in with that Highland Fury. After he's wounded, retreat Gilbert to keep him alive (and with 6 defense ideally) but close enough to keep Dispatching. Additionally, you can bond with either Champion as needed, and you have the Marro Warriors as either reliable cleanup or a starting assassin squad. Got some nice elements to it, but still a tough army to go all the way in a tourney with.

- Heroscape is a standing game. -
Old January 18th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninValentina View Post
Here's what I'd go with, under the parameters you've set Silver. Though, good luck with it.

MacDirk Warriors x3 - 240pts
Alastair MacDirk - 350pts
Sir Gilbert - 455pts
Raelin 1.0 - 535pts
Marro Warriors - 585pts
10pt Ninja of your choice - 595pts.
Too many MacDirks, according to the parameters given. I think it will be hard to be competitive with just 2 squads of the Scots. With just 2 defense they will be falling fast, and unless you have a near endless supply, you will fail.
Old January 18th, 2009, 09:10 PM

The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver Surfer View Post
I'm looking for a good, competetive army I can use these guys in. Does anyone have any suggestions? The only requirements are they must must include no more than 2 squads of them, must use Alastair, and have to be either 550 or 600 points.
I love the MacDirks. I've played them in various ways for several years (yes, years). There is no tournament competitive army that fits your specifications. For fun, there are lots of possibilities; but not for competition, as far as I have seen. There's a outside chance with three or four squads of MacDirks, not two.

The reason? Two defense...or, with Zelrig, no defense.

I am honestly asking here, what about the 4th Mass. or 10th Regiment? Both of them have 2 defense(with the possiblilty of getting 3, I'll admit), and they are claimed to be some of the best squads in the game. Of course, they are ranged, but the Macdirks can get up to 8 attack, which can make up for the lack of range if used right.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast"
Ephesians 2:8-9

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved" Acts 16:31

PM me if you would like to know more.
Old January 18th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Because the difference between throwing 7-8 dice per attack and 3-4 dice per attack is minimal when the target is rolling 3 defense, which is more or less average. You don't need 7 skulls to break through, unless you're fighting high defense/ high life heroes. And the range does make all the difference. 4th Mass may have a base defense of 2 like the MacDirks, but the range gives them a defensive buffer that makes them much harder to crack, not counting Valiant Defense or the height they're likely occupying.

I did forget the x2 Only for Commons rule. My bad. How about:

MacDirks x2 - 160pts
Sentinels of Jandar x2 - 380 pts
Alastair MacDirk - 490pts
Sir Gilbert - 595pts

Again, link MacDirks to Gilbert, but Dispatch Sentinels to cover the fragility of the Warriors. At worst, you can lure your opponent into killing off the low defense guys while the slower Sentinels approach and engage. But then you're tossing 160pts in the hopes that the Sentinels can clean house. Meh.

You say you need Alastair, so maybe drop Gilbert for Raelin 1.0 and Marcu, or for the Airborne Elite to cover your lack in the range dept. Just tossing out ideas.

- Heroscape is a standing game. -

Last edited by RoninValentina; January 18th, 2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old January 18th, 2009, 11:08 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
And the range does make all the difference. 4th Mass may have a base defense of 2 like the MacDirks, but the range gives them a defensive buffer that makes them much harder to crack, not counting Valiant Defense or the height they're likely occupying.
Range: Because not getting attacked at all is the best defense.
Old January 18th, 2009, 11:53 PM

The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
And the range does make all the difference. 4th Mass may have a base defense of 2 like the MacDirks, but the range gives them a defensive buffer that makes them much harder to crack, not counting Valiant Defense or the height they're likely occupying.
Perhaps. But I've just finished a game where I used the Alastair/Macdirks x2 combo, and killed Major Q10, Deathwalker 9000, a Zettain Guard, and Johnny Sullivan, which is almost 300 points, and I only lost 160 (my Alastair survived). I'd say that's pretty good for a 2 def. melee squad.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast"
Ephesians 2:8-9

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved" Acts 16:31

PM me if you would like to know more.
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:31 AM

Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker

I have yet to use these guys, but they look like a trickier army to use. They have the possibility of being deadly, while having sub-par defense. Sounds like my kind of unit! I think an army like this would work:
Alastair
x2 Macdirks
Thorgrim
x2 Marro Stingers
Eldgrim
Use Eldgrim first and give his move to Alastair. Then charge with both other champions. When Thorgrim dies, buff Alastair. Then use Stingers as cleanup.
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:49 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver Surfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Perhaps. But I've just finished a game where I used the Alastair/Macdirks x2 combo, and killed Major Q10, Deathwalker 9000, a Zettain Guard, and Johnny Sullivan, which is almost 300 points, and I only lost 160 (my Alastair survived). I'd say that's pretty good for a 2 def. melee squad.
That is pretty good. Don't get me wrong - I love melee units and armies, and wish range were a bit less dominating in this game, but I think your game result had more to do with good play and a little luck than the inherent quality of the Macdirks. I love everything about them - their sculpts, theme and ability - but it's very hard to use them without large numbers and a map with plenty of cover.
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Super Bowel

Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker

I think 2 defence seems especially bad because once they get high attack, your opponent will try really hard to shoot them down before they attack his units with 6,7 or 8 dice.

Without dark, there is no light.
Without bad HScape figs, there are no good ones.
Dund is important, therefore
Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:41 PM

kpotassiumk19 is surprisingly tart

Someone should try playing MacDirk Warriors and Alastair vs. the Knights of Weston and their human champion, Sir Denrick. I am curious which combo would be better. It can be the battle of the medieval times.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 06:34 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpotassiumk19 View Post
Someone should try playing MacDirk Warriors and Alastair vs. the Knights of Weston and their human champion, Sir Gilbert. I am curious which combo would be better. It can be the battle of the medieval times.
Fixed.

I really think Knights will slaughter them every time. (Or close to it.)
Old February 2nd, 2009, 06:42 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpotassiumk19 View Post
Someone should try playing MacDirk Warriors and Alastair vs. the Knights of Weston and their human champion, Sir Gilbert. I am curious which combo would be better. It can be the battle of the medieval times.
Fixed.

I really think Knights will slaughter them every time. (Or close to it.)
Not a fair contest. The MacDirks are faster - which doesn't matter so much when you're going to fight another melee unit as it does when you're trying to close the gap with ranged units.

~Aldin, who agrees the Knights win that contest almost all the time

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Units