Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old August 13th, 2009, 05:50 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
So, Magic: the Gathering

Has Trap cards now. And recently they created the Mythic rarity. They've also taken card names directly from...

You guessed it, Yu-Gi-Oh. So on top of that, in addition to being an expensive hobby, if you even post something relating Magic and YGO (as WotC is doing such a wonderful job) on the #1 fan board you get infractions. I also got a thread locked for calling the horrible art of the squished-headed Kithkin "fugly." And you're not allowed to agree with someone with fewer than 4 words (got an infraction for saying "my thoughts exactly!").

No wonder I left that ****ing game.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 13th, 2009, 06:00 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
Re: So, Magic: the Gathering

I have no idea what you are talking about re: trap cards (i googled it, but still confused) or Yu-gi-oh names, but I do know that something about the release of the 2010 core set got me to buy packs again for the first time in 13 years. Its fun to buy a booster pack or two at a time and slowly build up a deck or two.
Old August 13th, 2009, 06:03 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Trap is a new card type that will be appearing in the next set, Zendikar, as spoiled at Gencon.

That was another thing that pissed me off: "We're calling it 2010 because it's industry standard to name things for the year after they come out." What ****ing industry?! You're not making cars or sports video games, and Magic IS the CCG industry!

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 13th, 2009, 06:27 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I don't stay very current with M:tG anymore. I'm glad I got out of that hobby for the most part. I had some good times, but when I think back to the money I spent... Ugh. It makes me ill.

Old August 13th, 2009, 06:43 PM

Indeed. I've run the numbers ONE year of Magic vs my ENTIRE 'scape collection a few times and 'scape is far and away a clear winner in the $$ department.

It cracks me up that with EVERY set in recent memory there have been countless cries on the fansite of "If Magic does XX I quit!" Yet no one ever does. And now that power creep has gotten to ridiculous levels, including a Mythic rare (which are supposed to be "fun, flashy, not necessarily tournament staples") that has gotten over $25/card, everyone is "MAGIC IS THE BEST GAME EVAR!!1 " and won't hear anyone say a single word otherwise.

Enjoy wasting your cash on the exact things you said you'd quit if WotC ever did with Magic.

I love Heroscape and its power-creepless ways.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 15th, 2009, 07:31 AM

RobWeaver has disabled reputation

Probably haven't played MtG in 10 years. Blind purchase and power creep left a bad taste in my mouth. I like card games, and my kids like card games, but they prefer stuff that's playable right out of the box. Bang! is still a favorite.

Not one step backwards!
Old August 15th, 2009, 10:20 AM

loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
That was another thing that pissed me off: "We're calling it 2010 because it's industry standard to name things for the year after they come out." What ****ing industry?! You're not making cars or sports video games, and Magic IS the CCG industry!
The naming convention of naming things with the year AFTER the current year I suspect is for accounting purposes. The FISCAL year is 2010 for the company (meaning the profits are reported for 2010) Naming the product to align with the fiscal year makes it easier to keep track of.

This is how my company names things. We release the majority of our products on a yearly cycle around April/May each year. The current releases are all named 2010.

Jeff H - Manchester NH

No plan survives contact with the enemy. - Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke

Good traders: M.K. Sentinal, C.L., and CheddarLimbo
Old August 15th, 2009, 11:00 AM

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I recently picked up some of the pre-constructed Duel Decks and I'm finding them to be very enjoyable on a casual level. I've always enjoyed playing Magic. It's the buying, collecting, and competitive deck-building that I lost interest in.

Unfortunately, I noticed this past week that new rules for "M10" make older pre-constructed decks less functional.

Example: In Goblins versus Elves, there are a number of ways to inflict damage with Goblins by sacrificing them. Originally the deck would have been able to take advantage of this by first putting combat damage on the Stack and then sacrificing the Goblins to deal damage in two ways.

Now that M10 rules remove combat damage from the stack, the Goblin deck can't seem to keep up with the slow steady growth of the Elves.

But it's a minor quibble. I guess my take on Magic is - it's a great game, it's been very innovative and I continue to enjoy playing it. I'm just not interested in dropping hundreds of dollars on blind purchases anymore.

Old August 15th, 2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
But it's a minor quibble. I guess my take on Magic is - it's a great game, it's been very innovative and I continue to enjoy playing it. I'm just not interested in dropping hundreds of dollars on blind purchases anymore.
That's where I'm at. I'm going to keep a few decks around for casual play, but the spending is over. I'm also still trying to unload the majority of my collection, but I'll post that in the trade thread if my current potential buyer doesn't come through.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 15th, 2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
That's where I'm at. I'm going to keep a few decks around for casual play, but the spending is over. I'm also still trying to unload the majority of my collection, but I'll post that in the trade thread if my current potential buyer doesn't come through.
I had a very positive experience with CoolstuffInc trading in most of my collection. I was able to send them almost all of my rares and uncommons, foils, foreign cards, etc. Then I was able to unload the rest of the collection in bulk via local craigslist ads.

The only thing about CoolstuffInc is that since their stock rotates so quickly, you have to keep an eye on your buy lists. You'll put something in there and then a few days later they won't have a need for it anymore, then 2 weeks later, they'll want it again. I ended up doing 3 buys as a result, but the shipping was minimal so it wasn't a major financial problem, just a logistics nuisance.

Old August 15th, 2009, 12:32 PM

Yeah, they wiped out my entire buy list once during my updating this time. Now I haven't heard back from them when I tried to let them know about having more cards than I thought and needing to ship in two boxes.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 16th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby!

My thoughts on CCGs are much the same as yours. I really enjoy playing CCGs, but I have two problems with them. The first, as pretty much any one else will mention is the Blind Purchase/$ factor. The other is mentioned somewhat less, and that is the luck of the draw.

I don't like games so much that have no luck involved (which is why I don't really play chess that much), but I also don't like it so much if it has too much luck involved. It's yet another reason why I love Heroscape so much. The combat dice (and to a lesser extent, the glyphs), give it just the right level of luck factor. Sure the dice can crap out on you sometimes, but at least you don't really have to worry about potentially losing if you don't draw the right ones at the start of the game.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General