Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old November 10th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
Yeah, Rebellion looks pretty cool.
Glad I have friends that buy every Star Wars games. I get to play but don't have to pay

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old November 10th, 2015, 06:53 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

@A3n - nice session report. I LOVE Carcassonne ( own ALL of the expansions now ) and have played it a gazillion times. I really like Spendor a lot and want it to become my new warm-up game of any get together. Tokaido I've only played once and thought it was really cool, especially with the different persona's that you take on during each journey through the countryside. I was so intrigued with the video promo's that I supported the Kickstarter collector's edition re-release and have been waiting TWO YEARS for it to arrive. Meanwhile, Nexus Ops looked so interesting as a step-above traditional RISK that I bought two copies of the original version at a TRU when I found it on the clearance rack. Haven't even cracked the cellophane and have never played it. Although I read that the re-release of that one had beside the gawd-awful pastel minis a few tweaks in the Rules to better balance the mechanics.

Anyway . . . I too was thinking - about should I buy the cheap new Star Wars: RISK at any local Wally-Mart or go for the BLACK edition, until I recently saw pic's and speculations about this newer Star Wars: Rebellion game. IMHO: Fantasy Flights does make a better game than Hasbro, but I have to consider - which one, if any, has the best chance of seeing some table time, because even though I've been playing a lot of FF's SW: X-Wing lately, and have been tempted to jump into the other FF money pits of SW:LCG, Armada, and Imperial Assault, I simply can't afford to have that many toys collecting dust on my shelves.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old November 10th, 2015, 11:54 PM

Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Played a few games of Camel Up. Nice light family game. Curious about the expansion that came out recently.
Old November 12th, 2015, 12:07 AM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I believe the expansion just adds more players so you can play up to ten (maybe more) and gives you another board to add to the current board to accommodate that. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else it adds.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old November 12th, 2015, 12:18 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

It turns out we'd been playing Colt Express wrong. CE is a programming game where you take turns playing cards, mostly face up, and then execute the actions on them once the deck is complete. It's FIFO, or "First In, First Out," so that if the round starts with Ghost playing the "punch" card, then the first thing that happens when the cards are played is Ghost punches.

Well, we'd been playing LIFO instead. The way we were playing, the *last* thing that would happen is Ghost punches.

Let me tell you, it's a different game. It's not impossible, but it is harder and it makes for a *lot* more wildness. KidScaper, who's pretty good at holding lots of information in his head about who did what, was pretty good at LIFO Colt Express. Which we (I, anyway) now call "Beast Mode" Colt Express. Still a game, and a fun game, but about a zillion times harder.

Thanks @Gurei-Ornery for setting us straight after Saturday's Heroscape tournament.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 12th, 2015, 12:27 AM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
It turns out we'd been playing Colt Express wrong. CE is a programming game where you take turns playing cards, mostly face up, and then execute the actions on them once the deck is complete. It's FIFO, or "First In, First Out," so that if the round starts with Ghost playing the "punch" card, then the first thing that happens when the cards are played is Ghost punches.

Well, we'd been playing LIFO instead. The way we were playing, the *last* thing that would happen is Ghost punches.

Let me tell you, it's a different game. It's not impossible, but it is harder and it makes for a *lot* more wildness. KidScaper, who's pretty good at holding lots of information in his head about who did what, was pretty good at LIFO Colt Express. Which we (I, anyway) now call "Beast Mode" Colt Express. Still a game, and a fun game, but about a zillion times harder.

Thanks @Gurei-Ornery for setting us straight after Saturday's Heroscape tournament.
I can appreciate how that would change the game. It would be a lot more frustrating & I probably wouldn't like it as much.
Old November 12th, 2015, 12:31 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

The funny thing is, after playing Beast Mode a bunch of times, playing it the right way seemed pretty simple. And maybe a little less fun.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 12th, 2015, 06:52 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Just finishing up my run through all 18 scenarios of Commands & Colors Napoleonics Expansion 5 (all solitaire except two). Then at some point I'll turn my attention to

A) fan made two board scenarios with the new deck of cards meant for official 'Grand Bataille' games (next year) and

B) replaying some of the 97 previous scenarios with the new cards with the retrofitting chart. Play value? You bet.

Just a note that commenting yesterday on our NYCG4 thread, I noted that I still owned the X-Men figurines from the two old X-Men kids board games by Pressman. I'll just re-mention here that they were in fact by...Richard Borg (uncredited in those days).
Old November 12th, 2015, 12:46 PM

Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby! Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby! Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby! Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby!

We're busy playing Command and Colours Ancients, focusing on Romans and Carthage. I'm afraid we've warped it with custom rules and gotten rid of most of the Borg implants. Still trying to get the elephants right though...
Old November 12th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
I LOVE Carcassonne ( own ALL of the expansions now ) and have played it a gazillion times.
Oooo, speaking of Carcassonne, I only own Carcassonne: the City and recently played it with my mom and dad. My dad scored a ton of points from his meeples perched along the city walls and won, my mom was shortly behind his score, and I came in last. I guess they're catching on, despite the fact we don't play it that often. I don't remember the exact scores, but we always lap the 50 point scoring track three times in our games.

I've never tried the base game or expansions, but your epic session reports on the game are a joy to read.

I've had to seriously curtail game purchases, but made an exception for Epic. This is a Magic: the Gathering -type game that used to be sold in blind booster packs, but was recently retooled as a Living Card Game. Because I have no concept of self control, I bought three sets (all identical, but this gives me 3 copies of each of the 120 cards) so I can put together the Epic drafting cube described in the rulebook. I didn't go in on the Kickstarter, so I don't have the promo cards that came with it.

I honestly wish I had discovered this game before I decided to try Magic: the Gathering again towards the start of the year, because Epic scratches the itch perfectly.

I also got Omen: Reign of War back on the table against my dad. When I played the game with him shortly after getting it, I left out all the optional cards to make the game easier to teach. Despite not playing this in a long while, I was able to add many of them with no problems. What I really appreciate about this game is that the text on the cards is clearly written, making it easy for my father to get into with only my guidance on the turn structure. We had a close game with me pulling out a victory by only 2 points.
Old November 12th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlhsl View Post
I also got Omen: Reign of War back on the table against my dad. When I played the game with him shortly after getting it, I left out all the optional cards to make the game easier to teach. Despite not playing this in a long while, I was able to add many of them with no problems. What I really appreciate about this game is that the text on the cards is clearly written, making it easy for my father to get into with only my guidance on the turn structure. We had a close game with me pulling out a victory by only 2 points.
I really enjoy Omen a lot. It's a great 2 player game. Glad to hear you getting it back to the table David.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old November 12th, 2015, 08:28 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Just finished a game day of Grizzled, Railways of the World, Just Desserts, 2X Age of War, and Dark, Darker, Darkest. It is amazing how 7 hours flies by.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games