Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Notices

Old September 1st, 2017, 09:26 AM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Need advice on asymmetrical scenario

I am setting up an asymmetrical super hero scenario and I need advice. It will be 2v1. What kind of point ratio should they have? I was going to give the 2 player side 600 points each and the 1 player side 1,200 points.

Do you think a perfect point balance adequately accounts for the imbalance in number of turns, with one side getting double the number of attacks etc?

I have some minor elements in the scenario that mitigate this imbalance, but I don't want the side with less players to get totally pounded.

The win condition is basically that the larger side has to place a number of treasures on the board. If the smaller side can acquire half of these (1 of each type) then they win. They need only get to and pick up the object to have acquired it (no need to return it someplace).

The larger side has to prevent this and/or destroy 3 machines the smaller side is protecting.

There are more details, they just aren't worth typing out.

To circle back, my question is should the points be evenly balanced?
Old September 1st, 2017, 10:12 AM

hose knows what's in an order marker hose knows what's in an order marker hose knows what's in an order marker
Re: Need advice on asymmetrical scenario

I don't know for sure in your scenario, but when I have played classic 2 vs 1 kill 'em all, just doubling the points did not work well. Twice as many attacks really makes a big difference. unfortunately, we didn't come up with a good ratio. We ended up splitting the 1 player's army into 2 armies so he could have 2 sets of order markers.

good trades with rudyvalentine, crazytankster, and Jexik.
Old September 1st, 2017, 10:16 AM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hose View Post
I don't know for sure in your scenario, but when I have played classic 2 vs 1 kill 'em all, just doubling the points did not work well. Twice as many attacks really makes a big difference. unfortunately, we didn't come up with a good ratio. We ended up splitting the 1 player's army into 2 armies so he could have 2 sets of order markers.
each side has a goal, but killing everyone on the other side would also win of course. Sounds like this might be too easy for the larger side of the equation.

Perhaps simply giving the smaller side extra order markers would help balance this out.
Old September 1st, 2017, 10:42 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Extra OMs may be the best solution.

It somewhat comes down to attacks. If the 2 player armies have no bonding but the 1 player army does, that will help to even things out.

We also have toyed with allowing the single player to take a turn using their X OM at any point. It works OK if none of the figures need the X OM for their special powers.
Old September 1st, 2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Extra OMs may be the best solution.

It somewhat comes down to attacks. If the 2 player armies have no bonding but the 1 player army does, that will help to even things out.

We also have toyed with allowing the single player to take a turn using their X OM at any point. It works OK if none of the figures need the X OM for their special powers.
It would be a slaughter, but does just throwing more points at the 1 player side help? Only down side is this makes the game longer.
Old September 1st, 2017, 11:21 AM

HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmeeple View Post
It would be a slaughter, but does just throwing more points at the 1 player side help? Only down side is this makes the game longer.
You could use those extra points for the single player as "reinforcements". After a certain amount of rounds or objectives have been reached the single player can roll the D20 for reinforcements at the start of every round.
Old September 1st, 2017, 11:31 AM

Planning for 10 players is hard work! I have developed a reputation for always having an interesting scenario, so I have to live up to my rep!

Currently it is three huge armies: Dragons, Ultron + Ultron Bots, Dr. Doom + Doom Bots. Versus various other armies. This is all based on my son (the birthday boy) wanting to be the bad guys and to be a HUGE army of dragons. This was the inspiration for the whole deal. It kind of has an Avengers portal in the sky spewing out bad stuff into the city vibe to it.

I like to split it up so that its more like 3 separate games happening on the same huge map all with a common goal. This helps move the game along at a far faster pace.

Anyhow, I really just can't wait, its typically a lot of fun!

Thank you everyone for the feedback, I have some good ideas to work with!
Old September 1st, 2017, 01:39 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

See these official scenarios for some ideas. Quoting an old post of mine - don't use links below, download my All Official Maps & Scenarios PDF or see the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
In the Deadly Frozen Wellspring at Thaelenk Tunda has players 1 and 3 have 450 points, and Player two has 625 points. Other ones are castle/hill maps, which is another way to do it - give the individual player extreme high ground advantage.

I would do it give the one player one more order marker, slightly higher ground, and about 25% more points then the combined of the two (i.e. 400 X2 vs 1000 or 500 X2 vs 1250)

Last edited by lefton4ya; September 1st, 2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old September 1st, 2017, 03:59 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

If the Dragons are the one player army, then simply starting them on top of the buildings and everyone else starting on ground would be a big advantage.

That and some extra points and maybe reinforcements may do the trick.

Sounds fun. Post pics if possible!!!
Old September 5th, 2017, 02:11 PM

Well the event went really well. Typically these big games take far to long. But I set this one up to get into the action quick...and boy did it work.

1. Good guys got to setup their figures ANY place on the map to protect 6 treasures they also got to place. With some minor restrictions where the map got split into 3 major regions to act as 3 separate games.

2. Bad guys got to drop portals on the map. They could move through these from their base to the main map.

This combo meant the action started crazy fast. So fast in fact my son was frustrated the whole thing only took like 3 hours. (including a break for birthday cake).

I will try to post some photos.
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:17 PM

HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker

I'm glad your son enjoyed his birthday party. What was the outcome of good vs evil?
Old September 5th, 2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEROSCAPERMTL View Post
I'm glad your son enjoyed his birthday party. What was the outcome of good vs evil?
The bad guys won. They managed to collect the required treasures (we called them infinite stones). They had to get three of them back to their base. There was 2 of each and 2 decoys. It was kind of comical that they duked it out over a decoy while Ultron swooped in and picked up one of them with no trouble.

The bad guys were out numbered 1 player vs 2...so they got double order markers and it might have been too much. Even though they were technically out gunned point wise. The bad guys had to alternate turns with the good guys instead of taking two consecutive turns.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles