Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old December 7th, 2018, 07:32 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Rendar Fy by @capsocrates

The Mariedian faction has been one of my favorite VC factions to play over the past 7 years, and it’s always fun to see additions to that faction, due to the built-in synergy.

Balance

Rendar Fy is one of the cheapest options for a ranged multi-attacking hero. If you don’t count fillers like Guilty and explosions like Johnny and James, only Josie Whistletop comes in at a lower cost. And anybody who’s played ‘Scape for a hot minute knows that ranged multi-attackers are some of the best units in the game. Let’s use Josie for a comparison: Rendar’s survivability (4L/4D) is better than Josie’s (5L/2D), and his maximum attack output (2 attacks of 4 at 5 range) is probably slightly better than hers (attacks of 4, 3, and 2 at 5 range). Add in some Mariedian movement boost and the ability to have 8 range when necessary, and 85 points seems fair.

Theme

Pretty straightforward here. Rendar has a rifle, and if he’s got time to concentrate on his shot, he can either shoot far or shoot fast. If he’s got a perch to shoot from, he’s extra deadly. Fair enough.

Creativity

Battle Rifle is an interesting take on a double attack. It usually plays as a range-limited double attack, but against high-range armies (like the Merry Men) the range boost also has some use. Sighting is a good power, and it’s nice to see something familiar alongside something new.

Playability

Looking at Rendar, you may not think of him as a map-dependent figure. Usually we reserve that designation for figures like Drudge or Obsidian Guards or Dzu-Teh. But while those figures are terrain-dependent, Rendar is height-dependent.

On some flatter, modern maps, he’s flat-out terrible. If much of the map is the same level, he’s almost never worth an OM. His (limited usage) 2 attacks of 2 are definitely worse than the M-43’s 3 attacks of 2. And even on maps with decent height variation, if he gets beat to the top, he can be in pretty bad shape.

That said, if you get Rendar Fy to the height, he starts to be worth getting some turns with. One of the biggest problems with the Mariedians is their lack of gradation in attack potential. Jarek Guy can throw 5 dice in melee, but until now their only option for multiple attacks of 4+ was a partially destroyed squad of B-11s. Rendar gives you some staying power to that kind of middle-power middle-repetition attack output. Again, this only works if you can ensure getting him on height.

Guerilla Tactics is a great way to get Rendar to height, but it has a few problems. It is rather slow, especially to get to height, which by definition takes up those 3 move points faster. It’s also not reliable on R1T1, which means you often have to put an OM on Rendar to move him the rest of the way to height. That OM loses you an attack, since you’re going to be moving him, but if he can stick on a perch, he’ll make his points up decently quickly, doing what I like to call ground control*.

Of course, 4L/4D has a tendency to be a swingy survivability combo. 4 defense is enough to block 2 skulls with some reliability, but whiffs are common as well. A few of those whiffs at a bad time and you’re left with a wasted OM that could have gotten you some good attacks.

Summary

Rendar was at times frustrating to play. Sighting makes him a very height-dependent figure, and it’s sometimes hard to get him there. That said, the limits on his powers keep his high potential in check, and he ends up quite balanced, and a nice addition to M-43 armies.

I vote to induct Rendar Fy into the Soldiers of Valhalla

*this one is for you old-timers out there: Rendar Fy is based on a design capsocrates made for Soundwarp’s Speed Custom Contest 3, all the way back in June 2013. That design (90 points and human, but otherwise identical) was called Major Tom.
Old December 8th, 2018, 03:21 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Alright, I guess I will bite the bullet and put this out here...

I would like to nominate Lilja for your consideration...

She maxes out a DnD Large Single Base.
As far as availability, @superfrog did the heavy lifting
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Hey Lama, I did an availability check on the Glass Golem in case you were still considering that SoV submission from 6 years ago:

Paizo has at least 99 at $8.
CoolStuffInc has 18 at $2.99
Troll&Toad has 2 at $2.99
MagicMiniMan has 6 at $2.99
MiniatureMarket has 15 at $2.50
NobleKnight has 9 at $10
at least 20 on eBay, most under $5

So that adds up to 170+, about 60 of which are dirt cheap. Bottom line, the availability is there, and I think another Large Construct could be fun....
I leave her in your very capable hands. Thanks for your consideration.

Last edited by Lamaclown; December 8th, 2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old December 8th, 2018, 03:33 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

The text of the card still refers to "this Glass Golem". The only other thing that sticks out to me is the 6 move. If it was me, I'd make it 5. Any reason for 6?
Old December 8th, 2018, 03:48 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Quote:
The text of the card still refers to "this Glass Golem". The only other thing that sticks out to me is the 6 move. If it was me, I'd make it 5. Any reason for 6?
Aaarghh... fixed.

The 6 move was both thematic and practical.
Due to her size it made sense she would have a larger stride than medium figs which typically have 4 or 5 movement.

Also, with Shatter Point, I found in play testing that, while not useless, was not wholly effective with slower movement.

I am not against making it 5, I just thought 6 suited her better.
Old December 8th, 2018, 03:51 PM
This is merely a joke.

I figured as much, and I'm reassured that you tested both ways.

to review Lilja.
Old December 8th, 2018, 04:04 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

On the Shards ability is it supposed to be "one attack, or one attack die"? How it is worded it seems that she gets to attack each figure adjacent. I would assume it is similar to the frost giant of morh ability dying swipe.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old December 8th, 2018, 05:22 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
On the Shards ability is it supposed to be "one attack, or one attack die"? How it is worded it seems that she gets to attack each figure adjacent. I would assume it is similar to the frost giant of morh ability dying swipe.
I'd bet on "attack die," since I doubt LC would go for actual out-of-turn attacks.
Old December 8th, 2018, 05:40 PM
This is merely a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
Quote:
I'd bet on "attack die," since I doubt LC would go for actual out-of-turn attacks.
Indeed, you roll one die for each figure. It's wording cribbed from Dying Swipe, although it's slightly out of context.
Old December 8th, 2018, 05:44 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
Quote:
Indeed, you roll one die for each figure. It's wording cribbed from Dying Swipe, although it's slightly out of context.
It should probably have the word "die" added into the text. It looks like it was accidentally left out. The card has a unique flavor that I like.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old December 8th, 2018, 05:56 PM
This is merely a joke.

I do think that would make it clearer.
Old December 8th, 2018, 09:36 PM

I am so sorry for all the confusion. When I swapped her over from uncommon to unique I inadvertently deleted the word "die". It is a milder version of Dying Swipe.

Unless I can manage to commit some more typos in order to convolute and delay the process this should be the card you need...
Old December 9th, 2018, 11:11 AM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamaclown View Post
I am so sorry for all the confusion. When I swapped her over from uncommon to unique I inadvertently deleted the word "die". It is a milder version of Dying Swipe.

Unless I can manage to commit some more typos in order to convolute and delay the process this should be the card you need...
Looks good to me

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs