Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Notices

Old August 3rd, 2020, 01:51 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: Online Con 2020 Results, Game Schedules, Battle Reports

For anybody curious, we seeded Day 2 by order of wins (bye counts the same as a loss), so WWLWW sorts above WLWWW.

Cleon pulled it out from the very bottom of the barrel with LLBWW to make Day 2 and make it to quarterfinals. An impressive run for sure after starting off on the wrong foot.
Old August 3rd, 2020, 11:01 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
For anybody curious, we seeded Day 2 by order of wins (bye counts the same as a loss), so WWLWW sorts above WLWWW.

Cleon pulled it out from the very bottom of the barrel with LLBWW to make Day 2 and make it to quarterfinals. An impressive run for sure after starting off on the wrong foot.
I "talked him off the ledge" during his bye round, so I deserve all the credit...
Old August 4th, 2020, 10:57 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:

Thanks man. Chris had a rough matchup though into me in top 16, but I’m happy with how I played overall. All of my losses were very close and my final game vs. vegie was just a great match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Quote:

I "talked him off the ledge" during his bye round, so I deserve all the credit...
Yeah Mike gave me some much needed positivity and motivation during my bye, I was not happy going 0-2 and stuck with my mindset during a bye. But I’m really happy with how I played my remaining games, and honestly my first two I think I still played pretty well looking back on it. I should have had a warm up game before the tournament for sure, I’ll make sure to do that for the next one.

Thanks dude!
Old August 5th, 2020, 12:41 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Pod Draft

I knew I wanted to do a TKN pod since I didn't think I'd be playing TKN in any other event. I threw around a few options but didn't love any of them so I went back to an old standby of mine from bring 2 by pairing TKN with Braxas. My pods were TKN, grubs x3, Otonashi, and Braxas, Deathreavers x2, Eldgrim.

Game 1:
Dompredator
  • Crixus, Zetacron, Zettian Guards, Otonashi
  • Guilty McCreech, Blue Wyrmlingx3, White Wyrmlingx3
Map: Draugur (Valda & Kelda)

Dom won the dice off and chose my Braxas pod. I took TKN and the wyrms, leaving him the other pod.

Dom opened with rats, taking valda and picking off a nagrub. I used wyrmlings to clear the glyph and take out another rat. Braxas came up to try to clear nagrubs and Wyrms, and despite strong defense TKN put a lot of wounds on her. The Zettian infantry came in while Braxas was still tanking TKN, but as soon as Braxas went down TKN was able to dispose of the Zettians with a stomp and a punch. After that there just wasn't anything that could deal with Stompy. I cleaned out the heroes and won with a 3-life TKN, 3 wyrms, 1 grub, and the filler heroes.

Game 2:
vegietarian18
  • Sir Gilbert, Knights of Westonx3 (drop 1)
  • Kaemon Awa, Raelin the Kyrie Warrior [RotV], Marro Stingersx
Map: Platypus (Ulaniva & Wannok)

Spoiler Alert!

I figured Braxas is good against Raelin so when I won dice off I took Braxas. Vegie took his two pods.

I opened by taking glyphs with rats and creating a screen, then followed with Braxas. I figured if Braxas manages to gas two heroes and a squad or two the game is in the bag, and if she gasses one of the heroes I'm still OK. However instead, she died almost immediately to Kaemon, having killed only three knights.

I only had 1 plan B, so I moved in with TKN. With the rats still in play I could be cautious, but at some point I had to stick my noes in. I managed to stomp my way up to Raelin, but it led to TKN surrounded by knights in a position that just wasn't sustainable. I bit the bullet and took a huge disengage in order to get the opportunity to stomp some more knights. My Braxas luck came back around as vegie only got one hit with the disengages, and from there I was able to kill Raelin and start to meaningfully thin out the knights.

There was actually a lot of really interesting positions in this game as TKN danced around, and I recommend the 10 points under episode for the blow by blow. The bottom line is that TKN narrowly outlasted the squaddies, managed a timely kill on Kaemon, and cleaned up Gilbert in endgame. Holding the unique attack glyph the entire game ended up being pretty key, as it gave me a ton of extra dice over the course of things.

Game 3:
Cuzmo of Gilead
  • Heirloom, Isamu, Axegrinders of Burning Forgex2, Mezzodemon Warmongers
  • Marro Warriors, Fen Hydra, Phantom Knightsx2
Map: Fire Isles (Dagmar & Lodin)

Cuzmo, perhaps inspired by tales of the previous round, took TKN with the opening pick. I took my Braxas pod and Cuzmo's Hydra/PK/MW pod.

After a quick rat move to guard against a possible Heirloom rush, I brought out Braxas. Braxas gassed the Mezzos and followed up by tearing through the Axegrinders. When her reign on the hot high ground was finally ended, she had killed the mezzos and all but one Axegrinder, although she failed in ~5 attempts to gas Heirloom. The PKs came out next, and danced around while attacking Heirloom and trying to pick off as many grubs as possible without allowing for multiple stomps in a turn.

TKN did eventually manage to clear out the PKs, but the Marro Warriors were able to quickly kill the last grubs, as well as finally dropping Heirloom with an elevated shot. TKN stood little chance of chasing down the Marro Warriors without backup, and before long he fell.

Game 4:
Kevindola
  • Fyorlag Spidersx3, Wyvernx2
  • Kyntela Gwyn, Master Win Chiu Woo, Shaolin Monksx2
Map: Caldera (Ulaniva & Lodin)

I thought Kevin's second pod was much weaker, so when I won the dice-off I deferred first pick. Kevin took TKN, so I took Braxas & Wyverns.

I won opening initiative and brought three rats over to the unique attack glyph, holding the area around it in in such a way that TKN couldn't stomp them. Kevin said after the game that he had been considering podding up around unique attack, but rather than deal with the rats TKN headed across the middle for my startzone.

I blocked Braxas with my Wyverns, reasoning that if Braxas survives the TKN portion of the match, acid breath should be decisive against the monks. The first TKN punch put 3 wounds on a Wyvern, and suddenly I didn't feel as great about my chances. However that proved to be the only glimmer of good fortune for TKN the entire time. It took him 2 punches to deliver the last wound to my first wyvern, and my next two glyph-boosted Wyvern bites were enough to bring TKN down (claw grab having prevented healing in between).

After some maneuver where I put my spiders and rats in position, Kevin rolled Woo up to the middle of the map. Braxas's first OM was a successful acid spray on Woo. Kevin conceded there rather than trying to beat by entire Braxas pod, plus a Wyvern and 7 spiders, with just monks and a couple squads of nagrubs.

Last edited by dok; August 5th, 2020 at 04:26 PM.
Old August 5th, 2020, 10:21 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

VC Bring 2

I knew I wanted to go VC heavy since this was my only option to do so. The point total and figure limit was decent for Varks, and I think they are a great option for bring 2, so I went with that. I struggled to come up with a good counter pick, but I found one with KTN that looked decent to me. So I went with Varkaanan Darkclaws, Varkaanan Greyspears, Varkaanan Quickblades, Varkaanan Swiftfangs, Deathreavers x1 and
Kon-Tar-Na, Krav Maga Agents, Marcu Esenwein, Otonashi, Raelin the Kyrie Warrior [RotV], Marrden Nagrubsx3.

Game 1
Heroscaper2010
  • Isamu, Krav Maga Agents, Marcu Esenwein, Raelin the Kyrie Warrior [RotV], Nhah Scirh Cultistsx3
  • Zetacron, Mezzodemon Warmongersx6
Map: H&D Swarm edition (Lodin & Kelda)

HSer2010 deferred; I took my Varks, he responded with his cultists.

After one Swiftfang activation on OM1, I put three OMs on the deathreavers so I could get them in play. I was able to get a rat in front of HSer2010's Krav on the bridge to the right of their startzone, blocking them off from advancing into the map further. At that point the four of them were far enough advanced that scatter kept them in problematic spots for the rest of the game.

Raelin was in a strong central spot, but I used a combination of picking off figures outside her aura, and sneaking a quickblade next to her for their special attack, to work my way though the position. When Raelin went down, I had lost 3 varks and 2 rats versus 5 cultists down on the other side. I cleared out another squad of cultists, and the game was called on time shortly after that.

Game 2
Father of Julian
  • Cyprien Esenwein, Cathar Spearmen x4
  • Fen Hydra x2, Nhah Scirh Cultists x2, Deathreavers, Isamu
Map: Bad Moon Rising (Dagmar & Ulaniva)

I won the dice-off, and immediately chose the spearmen. This was probably the strongest army I played all weekend. I slow-rolled early on, chewed through the cultists, put a single spearman in the path of the Fen Hydra to limit losses, and went to work. The Hydras took early wounds to the elevated spearmen, and the rats couldn't do anything with their late activations. I tried to surround Isamu so he couldn't vanish, but he died to a braced spear, foiling my plan.

Game 3
Tiamat
  • B-11 Resistance Corps, Kon-Tar-Na, Marrden Nagrubsx3, Himmelskralle
  • Heracles, Microcorp Troopersx3
Map: Raknar's Rift (Wannok & Valda)

I chose my Varks, and Tiamat responded with Heracles & Troopers. This is an interesting matchup because the troopers are pretty bad against the Varks, but Heracles is quite the beast against high value units. (After the game Tiamat told me that there was no way he would have picked Varks, so it would probably have been better for me to take Heracles myself and force Tiamat into one of the KTN pods. Still, it was a pretty balanced matchup.)

I put the rats on Valda and hodling down the early Troopers, but with Heavy Weapons in play they couldn't hold it too long. However they did hold it long enough to accelerate my advance onto the map's central road. However, my swiftfangs only registered a single kill in round 2 with their 4v2 attacks, causing it to take longer to push the troopers off the plateau than I would have liked.

That said, the Varks did predictably defeat the troopers soundly. When Heracles entered the fray I still had all the darkclaws and quickblades, and 3/4 greyspears, along with one rat, against 5 troopers and Heracles. Predictably, Heracles was great - the bigger issue was that I couldn't get wounds on him. 3 attacks of 4 plus a quickblade SA netted zero wounds, while he managed to kill two greyspears and a Darkclaw.

At the end of the round, I rolled a 1 on wannok. I thought at the time this would cost me the game. What I didn't realize at the time is that it should have cost me the game on the spot - the match should have been over on time, and the wannok backfire was the difference between a 191-175 win and a 200-154 loss. However both of us overlooked the Discord message to go to points, and we played one more round. In that round I did manage to get 6 wounds on Heracles. At the end of the round I had 1 Darkclaw and one Deathreaver left. That would be a 50-50 tie, but Heracles and the Darkclaw were both standing on lava field. The Darkclaw took lava damage but Heracles did not, leading to a loss on points for me.

Game 4
Boromir96
  • Brave Arrow, Van Nessing, Bol , Mohican River Tribex4
  • Cyprien Esenwein, Isamu, Sonya Esenwein, Nhah Scirh Cultistsx3
Map: Draugur (Kelda & Wannok)

My only game out of contention for the entire weekend. I opened with swiftfangs and two deathreaver OMs, going for Wannok. Van Nessing beat the rats there, and took out a rat with Silver Bolts to open round 2. However Van Nessing was shredded shockingly quickly by the Varks, killing only one swiftfang.

At that point it was Varks versus Mohicans, but on this map with its LoS blockers and lack of intermediate height, this wasn't really a fair fight. Brave Arrow got 1-shotted, and while Boromir made lots of great positioning decisions at this point and started to get some favorable dice in late game, it wasn't enough to reverse the results of the early rounds. I won with 3 varks and 3 rats remaining.

Last edited by dok; August 6th, 2020 at 04:02 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con