Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Notices

Old August 4th, 2015, 03:56 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Who is the best Gencon Main Event Player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
It means as much as it means. Before 2011, you could play the same cheese the whole way through. I don't feel the need to bring the format debate into this thread. I'm just extending the scoring system lonewolf first did in 2009 out through the current year.
I am fading fast!!!!

I play Heroscape once a year now and that makes me a pretty average player. I seem to garner more satisfaction out of running the tournaments effectively and making sure everyone is having a good time then playing these days.
Old August 4th, 2015, 04:04 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
I seem to garner more satisfaction out of running the tournaments effectively and making sure everyone is having a good time then playing these days.
And you are doing a bang-up job of it. Unfortunately the game being discontinued seems to finally be catching up with the Gencon events, and outside of the main and maybe general wars the numbers are slipping noticeably. But this is definitely not a reflection on the quality of the event administration, which was outstanding. Thanks to @lonewolf , @Matthias Maccabeus , and everyone else involved.
Old August 4th, 2015, 10:02 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post
How relevant are these rankings considering the fact that making Day 2 now really doesn't mean much for most. (Oh look, you brought Cheese.) Making Semis for Main Event is probably the line in the sand these days? @dok
People say you can bring the cheese, but there are people who bring 3x Greenscales, Nilfheim, and Raelin, and miss Day 2, while others play against the same armies they do with Tagawa Samurai Archers and make it. I don't think that ManTrain powergamed his way Day 2 even though he lost his first game. I think that it definitely takes skill to make Day 2 no matter what you play. I also think you can make Day 2 with a variety of stuff if you play well enough (and get enough favorable matchups).
Old August 4th, 2015, 10:40 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I'd Agree

I'd say the skill factor is greater than the cheese factor. I beat Nilf+GS+Rae with Harqs+Raelin+Eltahale as an example and Matthias did quite well with Sacred Band with several matchups his army was a definite underdog.

If we had a nice quantitative way to measure army power and then combine that with player skill, we'd likely be able to get even more accuracy on this but I don't anticipate that even being remotely possible.

~Dysole, math nerd
Old August 27th, 2015, 11:48 AM

damja rolls all skulls baby! damja rolls all skulls baby! damja rolls all skulls baby! damja rolls all skulls baby! damja rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
I play Heroscape once a year now and that makes me a pretty average player. I seem to garner more satisfaction out of running the tournaments effectively and making sure everyone is having a good time then playing these days.
I completely understand this. I got more out of organizing tournaments in Michigan than actually playing in them. I also have been working with a local library running magic tournaments and game days for the past couple of years and I get much more satisfaction running these events than playing in them too.
Old August 27th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by damja View Post
Quote:
I completely understand this. I got more out of organizing tournaments in Michigan than actually playing in them. I also have been working with a local library running magic tournaments and game days for the past couple of years and I get much more satisfaction running these events than playing in them too.
I got a lot of satisfaction two years ago, as a tournament director at GenCon, out of wrecking @lonewolf 's software. But this year he wouldn't let me touch the computer, so that was a disappointment.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 27th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Smooth move Daddio.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old August 27th, 2015, 04:19 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My vote goes to Lucas - he is the current champion

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old September 5th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Gen Con Main Event Champion - 2015

weesel99 knows what's in an order marker weesel99 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendal View Post
My vote goes to Lucas - he is the current champion
I'm fine with this statement although I may be biased.
Old September 7th, 2015, 06:17 PM
GenCon 2013 Main Event Champion

The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker

I think you are allowed to be biased for one year.

Have fun and stay busy - Luke 19:13

The Orange Mailman
Old September 7th, 2015, 06:55 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Huh. I've never lost a Gencon Main Championship game and I've used Hatamoto and DW7K in every game I've played. I'm not sure why this is even a discussion. Can I have a medal now?
Old September 8th, 2015, 11:43 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I was going to say I could make a legit argument for at least six people, but now I realize that ollie has us all put to shame. His winning percentage defies definition!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con