Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old May 30th, 2016, 11:48 AM

FilmCriticFrog knows what's in an order marker FilmCriticFrog knows what's in an order marker
Noob needs help with team-building

Hello Heroscapers! My name is Frog, and I've been interested in Heroscape since it first came out. I'm attending this year's Gencon and would like some advice on my team before I go make a complete fool of myself. I would love some help on refurbishing my strategy, and any advice is appreciated! I'll be playing in this year's main event as well a the tag team tournament with my dad. Here's what I had for the main event:

X3 Deathreavers
X1 Raelin (ROTV)
Kaemon Awa
Nilfheim (may swapthis with Q9)

This is my dad's team:

Sir Gilbert
X3 Knights of Weston
Finn
Sir Denrick

Any advice or criticism is appreciated! I'm a film critic myself, so I shouldnt be dishing it out if i can't take it!
Old May 31st, 2016, 12:07 AM
Opps. He did it again.

Airborne Elite 5 is surprisingly tart
Re: Noob needs help with team-building

Your team is pretty solid, but your dad's isnt. He is VERY sorely lacking in range. He needs to drop a knight squad, and Finn for the 4th mass. Line if he has them. The last ten points can be spent on a ten point ninja of you have em. The knight army is good for a friendly game, but not for tornememt play. Even with Gilbert, the knights are to slow.
Old May 31st, 2016, 03:03 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

The main event is 600pt. dude. You're army is 95pt. short and your dad's is 105pt.

The Knights army is a fine army; you can absolutely run all-melee and still be competitive. I think Denrick will be pretty good in this format because the point limit to start zone ratio will push more expensive figures, which are generally larger units. I think for your dad's last 105pt. he should consider a unique squad so that Finn's Attack Spirit can be better abused. The Krav Maga Agents are an obvious choice which would make 18 figs. I think Kozuke Samurai are a pretty cool unit for cleanup if you want to be a bit more edgy (but they're pretty map dependent). There's also always Syvarris or Zetacron + Eldgrim.

Your army is definitely great, all top tier units.

We also haven't seen the map pool yet, either. That's a key thing to keep in mind when army building (in this case if you're worried your dad needs some range or not).
Old May 31st, 2016, 03:04 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Your army and your dad's are both very strong for the Main Event. With Q9, instead of Nilfheim, especially so. Remember, though, that you don't want to have armies that you can't turn around and *beat* on Day 2.

Notwithstanding AE5's advice, those armies you describe are both "Tier 1" armies, as we would call them, which might be good enough to *get you* to Day 2, if you play them well enough, but you will both have a very difficult time beating them, once you are forced to use whatever got your *opponent* to the Round of 16 and beyond.

edit: Cleon ninja. I did not count. Apparently, film critic, you mathed it up!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 31st, 2016, 09:25 PM

FilmCriticFrog knows what's in an order marker FilmCriticFrog knows what's in an order marker

Alright, I see the base. But is there any specific recommendations someone could give me for parts to fill the void? As for the inevitable mirror match, I was considering maybe Zelrig....
Old May 31st, 2016, 09:35 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Am I correct in guessing that these will be your first tournaments? If so, allow me to share the two most important lessons I learned from my own first tournament, 8 or 9 years ago.

1. Bring units you like playing. That's Number One.

2. Be prepared to manage your order markers effectively. Keep it simple or, if it's complex, have a clear idea of how you're going to run it.

Those are my suggestions. If you do those two things, you'll be fine.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 31st, 2016, 10:35 PM
Opps. He did it again.

Airborne Elite 5 is surprisingly tart

Had I known they were short that many points, I would have said something different. And Cleon is right, an all KoW is competitive by itself. My bad. But as for those remaining points... definately have your dad get a unique squad. The Kozuke are a good choice, but if you dad wants some range, the Krav Maga Agents are also a good choice. But the Kozuke are probably the best choice as the can excel on road spaces.
Old June 1st, 2016, 07:44 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Whatever you choose, practice playing with and against that army as much as possible in preparation, preferably on maps that will be used at GC. Good luck!

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old June 2nd, 2016, 11:52 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Don't worry about being under points; focus on making armies that you are comfortable playing. Hitting point totals exactly is pretty overrrated. Just make sure every piece you put in the army has a clear purpose for you, even if that purpose is just "sit in the back and use if everything else dies". If you are really worried about losing on time because you're playing under points, then add Pelloth or something. (Your dad could just add another human champion and roll with that - personally I'd drop Denrick and add Thorgrim, Hawthorne, and Eldgrim.)

Your army looks a little strong for the Gencon main event metagame, but if you feel like you can't compete without something like that, knock yourself out. An army along the same lines that had popped into my head was Deathreavers x4 + Braxas + Jotun.

Last edited by dok; June 3rd, 2016 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Being over points is bad though; just ask Mantraincheatcheat
Old June 30th, 2016, 01:10 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
An army along the same lines that had popped into my head was Deathreavers x4 + Braxas + Jotun.
That's a sick army
Old June 30th, 2016, 10:07 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

He's right, but if you have to fight it later. Well... I hate fighting Braxas and rats.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles