Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old June 30th, 2019, 11:45 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: [Pod 0] UNIT NAME (Crypolith) - Pod 0 - Design

Portable Panopticon has a nice alliteration to it, but I like Ancient Pillar because it could be from anywhere's distant past and also sounds more like it could be "unstable".

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old June 30th, 2019, 11:47 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Panopticon would almost require a special effect of some kind. Keep it in mind for a scenario that takes place on Alpha Prime, maybe.
Old July 14th, 2019, 11:37 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Portable Panopticon has a nice alliteration to it, but I like Ancient Pillar because it could be from anywhere's distant past and also sounds more like it could be "unstable".
Ancient Pillar feels a little too generic to me. It reminds me of the Underdark being added beneath Valhalla, which I felt diluted its fantasy. At the very least if we go that route, I'd like to give them a unique Valhalla-sounding name to make it clear that they're some kind of structures from a desert region on the planet, rather than a random fantasy structure that could've been anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
Panopticon would almost require a special effect of some kind. Keep it in mind for a scenario that takes place on Alpha Prime, maybe.
I think that whatever name and theme we go with for the towers should be consistent with how they're portrayed in scenarios. Perhaps we could add some simple additional rules to them if it makes sense, but I don't think we should say that they're sci-fi towers in one scenario and ancient artifacts in another.
Old July 18th, 2019, 02:08 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
I think that whatever name and theme we go with for the towers should be consistent with how they're portrayed in scenarios. Perhaps we could add some simple additional rules to them if it makes sense, but I don't think we should say that they're sci-fi towers in one scenario and ancient artifacts in another.
I suppose it depends on how we view scenarios. If we're only concerned about a specific set of scenarios in the Master Set with a specific theme, then we could go with that specific name. But if we want to leave it open and flexible for anyone to use and create scenarios with outside of that, then we should lean generic.

On an unrelated note, how long have you been a Gila monster in Kaemon Awa's helmet??

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old July 18th, 2019, 03:35 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
I suppose it depends on how we view scenarios. If we're only concerned about a specific set of scenarios in the Master Set with a specific theme, then we could go with that specific name. But if we want to leave it open and flexible for anyone to use and create scenarios with outside of that, then we should lean generic.
That's a fair point for a generic name if we want to leave scenario-makers free to make their own stories. I think that Ancient Pillar or the like similarly locks out a sci-fi theme, though, and those themes can't be conveyed with other sets already. Adding a lightly themed sci-fi piece for mapmakers to use would expand the possibilities in that regard, since it's a niche that's hard to fill with what's already been released.

Quote:
On an unrelated note, how long have you been a Gila monster in Kaemon Awa's helmet??
I've always been a goanna lizard. Becoming Kaemon Goanna was just the next step of my evolution.

So, in other words, since yesterday.
Old July 28th, 2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I think that Ancient Pillar or the like similarly locks out a sci-fi theme, though
I dunno, I'm reading The Expanse and there are plenty of ancient pillars. Just because Humans haven't been around long enough to make ancient sci-fi pillars* doesn't mean other races haven't.

*Give or take how much Ancient Aliens you watch.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old July 29th, 2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I think that Ancient Pillar or the like similarly locks out a sci-fi theme, though
I dunno, I'm reading The Expanse and there are plenty of ancient pillars. Just because Humans haven't been around long enough to make ancient sci-fi pillars* doesn't mean other races haven't.

*Give or take how much Ancient Aliens you watch.
I think that the context of these being on Valhalla naturally implies that if they're ancient, they were always there. We could say that an Archkyrie summoned them from Arctorus or the like, but that kind of begs the question of why in that case, since if they're old pillars then there are probably better candidates elsewhere.

It does give me the absolutely hilarious image of Vydar stealing the pyramids from Earth, though, which is worth something.

If we don't want to go with the sci-fi theme, then I like setting them in some desert region of Valhalla and expanding the lore through scenarios there. Looking at the map of Valhalla, I think that we could set Arena of the Valkyrie around the Sea of Sand for some interesting storytelling. The name in such a case should be similar to the Power Glyphs and units that originate on Valhalla in that case, IMO, where they sound vaguely Norse.

@capsocrates , @All Your Pie , do either of you have any thoughts on the name for the towers (or greater location for the Master Set)? Just checking to see how we're all feeling about it.
Old August 11th, 2019, 04:03 PM

Lumovanis Woo who?
Re: [Pod 0] UNIT NAME (Crypolith) - Design

Just tossing this out there; what if it was a gravity field effect and shut flying off in a fairly wide area? Maybe even increase falling damage or make climbing upwards more difficult?
Old August 12th, 2019, 03:46 PM

I believe that we actually did discuss an aura that negates flying within X spaces back near the beginning of this design. It ended up not gaining too much traction because we want the effects of the Destructible Object to be clearly conveyed by the structure itself, much like how the gameplay effects of the official terrain were clearly linked to its appearance. There are also some rules problems with stopping flying within an aura, though that wasn't the main reason we settled on the current direction.
Old September 8th, 2019, 01:58 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

A quick google search revealed that “himinn” is the norse word for pillar. Ancient Himinn could work as a name, as it has a distinct sound while retaining the norse origins of the valhalla.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old September 8th, 2019, 02:18 PM

I'm still not overly fond of adding the word "ancient" to the title. If we just call them Himinn, that evokes the Norse inspiration better in my opinion and sounds more HeroScape-y, and we can still talk about how they're these mysterious artifacts in the Sea of Sand in the scenarios and story around the Master Set.

Alternatively, if we want to evoke the "Glyphs of NORSE-SOUNDING WORD" template, they could be Pillars of Hár or some Norse word for height for example.
Old September 8th, 2019, 02:21 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Pillars of Height sounds silly, but Pillars of Hár almost sounds like they’re built to worship someone. A god? An archkyrie of times past? That is workable.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs