Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old June 5th, 2016, 09:21 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: McMeeple's Custom Building Terrain - Pizza Joint

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmeeple View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I am in the process of working on new buildings with C3G. japes is handling the art.

You can check it out in the near future in the Danger Room over in C3G land.

I will be looking forward to seeing what other buildings you create.
Oh, that is exciting to hear that C3G is doing some buildings. I would like to be involved with that.

What the heck, here is my work in progress. I am open to any feedback.

first is a Mechanic Shop based on 3 buildings. The largest is 1.5 stores tall. The idea is that the 3 buildings can be combined in numerous ways to create many different layouts.

And the other building is an 16 story tall one. Its Oroku Saki Tower, the headquarters for the footclan!

Everything is made from "scratch" using countless refernce files for things like images/doors etc. But I build all my own material so it wouldn't just be a rehash of the same textures that Grisnakh used.

I would love any feedback.
It looks great. I especially like the modular set as that is more the goal I have. A few pieces that can be rearranged to multiple layouts.

I guess the key item to discuss is what height are you using for "1-story"? That's a pretty big discussion item in C3G.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old June 5th, 2016, 10:30 PM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I am in the process of working on new buildings with C3G. japes is handling the art.

Oh, that is exciting to hear that C3G is doing some buildings. I would like to be involved with that.

first is a Mechanic Shop based on 3 buildings. The largest is 1.5 stores tall. The idea is that the 3 buildings can be combined in numerous ways to create many different layouts.

And the other building is an 16 story tall one. Its Oroku Saki Tower, the headquarters for the footclan!

Everything is made from "scratch" using countless refernce files for things like images/doors etc. But I build all my own material so it wouldn't just be a rehash of the same textures that Grisnakh used.

It looks great. I especially like the modular set as that is more the goal I have. A few pieces that can be rearranged to multiple layouts.

I guess the key item to discuss is what height are you using for "1-story"? That's a pretty big discussion item in C3G.

I based it on Grishnaks dimensions. 1 story is 6 hexes tall or 2.25". Assuming each hex is 3/8" tall.

In my opinion a building can be things like 1.5 or 1.33 stories tall when it makes sense. But its a nice frame of reference.
Old June 5th, 2016, 10:41 PM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Where can I find the C3G conversation about buildings? I would love to participate.
Old June 5th, 2016, 11:26 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
I based it on Grishnaks dimensions. 1 story is 6 hexes tall or 2.25". Assuming each hex is 3/8" tall.

In my opinion a building can be things like 1.5 or 1.33 stories tall when it makes sense. But its a nice frame of reference.
yeah the 6 hex tall stories was a point of contention with several C3G members since most humans are 5 height. I believe we used the warehouse ruin as a basis of design and used 9 as our default. For taller skyscraper buildings it's not that big of a deal; 30 stories or 20 stories...it doesn't really matter it's just 180 hexes high.

EDIT: Missed your second post. It's either in the Terrain threads in the C3G area or it's in the Terrain Sanctum which isn't open to the public. I'm not sure which.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old June 6th, 2016, 12:38 AM

I make my buildings from wood! They are very sturdy. Though they do take up a lot of space.

Last edited by mcmeeple; June 6th, 2016 at 07:17 AM. Reason: fixed image links
Old June 6th, 2016, 07:09 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Nice work there.

The current buildings discussion is in a private forum but I will be moving it out into the Danger Room in the near future. To join the Danger Room you just need to do one playtest a month for C3G.

I can let you know when it starts. There is another, more magical, project that needs some work first.

I am not sure if we decided on 9 hexes per story or perhaps 10. I believe our first building is 6 hexes tall at the wall.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old June 6th, 2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
oh, what is that material you used for the fence. looks like something you can buy and easily use from the hardware store. Just cut and bend at key lengths.
Old June 6th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
oh, what is that material you used for the fence. looks like something you can buy and easily use from the hardware store. Just cut and bend at key lengths.
Looks like an Inbox Tray from office Max or office depot

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old June 6th, 2016, 02:21 PM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Yes wriggz is right.
I actually picked it up at Walmart. I basically just ripped the bottom out.
There is one that I think will look better at the local True Value Hardware, I will pick up someday.
I also think it could be made out of metal mesh and tubing. There are parts for making necklaces that could be used on the top of the posts to hold the top bar in place. Somebody had posted pics of some really nice ones a guy made for his railroad set.
Railroaders have incredible looking terrain.

So that was a little taste of what is brewing in C3G land. The houses are currently in playtesting. I have all sorts of ideas, so I hope everyone will try to join the Danger Room. I should be able to start posting some building stuff in there this month and for sure by July. I think once it starts it will never end, as there will always be more buildings and urban terrain to be made.

- Eslo Rudkey
Old June 6th, 2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Yes wriggz is right.
There is one that I think will look better at the local True Value Hardware, I will pick up someday.
I also think it could be made out of metal mesh and tubing. There are parts for making necklaces that could be used on the top of the posts to hold the top bar in place. Somebody had posted pics of some really nice ones a guy made for his railroad set.

So that was a little taste of what is brewing in C3G land. The houses are currently in playtesting. I have all sorts of ideas, so I hope everyone will try to join the Danger Room. I should be able to start posting some building stuff in there this month and for sure by July. I think once it starts it will never end, as there will always be more buildings and urban terrain to be made.
I have a list of ideas so long it is out of control. I can only imagine what you guys have brewing.

I have pondered:
  • DIY kits with lots of artwork in standard sizes
  • Modular buildings based on connectable/stackable parts
  • Define a standard set of building sizes. Then crank out sets of thematic skins to be used on them. Then you could have a directory of 4x5 hex 1 story buildings and all the skins you can put on it. etc.
  • This is not to mention accessories: shipping containers, dumpsters, mailboxes, newstands and so on.
  • insert wife sighing at the growing size of your hobby here
Old June 6th, 2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Yes wriggz is right.

The idea that the C3G might publish a set of "standards" that anyone can use seems logical. This way everyone can be inside a similar standard and it could work together. Things like common building dimensions, floor heights, standard construction supplies etc. I am currently using the "Grishnakh Standards"

I keep thinking of putting together a construction dimensions PDF showing the size of all my buildings (and probably Grishnakh's since they are the same sizes). This way I have a reference for what sizes everything needs to be in one place.
Old June 6th, 2016, 02:52 PM

Nice.
Those are basic goals as well.
I know you said your buildings are made of wood but others have asked if we could make them 'store flat' and I have worked out an idea for that.

I really want to work on ruins and ruined buildings that are 'opened up' for interior play.

I want to do a parking garage with ramps leading up from level to level that figures can move up with normal movement(that may be tricky as the angle will stretch the hexes).

I have been able to pick up light posts, a park bench, fire hydrants and some other terrain at the local Dollar Tree and I am sure we will have stats for them someday(as Destructible Objects).

japes has been working on skins and urban maps for the base. He even has removable sewer covers. Lots of good stuff to work on for a long time. I imagine that buildings and the whole CityScape aspect of gameplay will be my main focus at C3G for the remainder of my time here.
It took years to get to where we are now which is not far but I think things will pick up in the Danger Room, hopefully.

EDIT: Grishnakh is awesome and the biggest source of inspiration for this project. C3G came really close to officially making Grish's buildings, C3G buildings.

- Eslo Rudkey

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles