Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old August 21st, 2010, 09:34 PM

Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Quality Controll for D2 much improved

Glad you got that sorted out. That's a huge glaring error that anyone packaging these things should have found.

EDIT: @ 1moreheroscaper.

Last edited by Shockma Ranyk; August 21st, 2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Somehow got a post in between
Old August 21st, 2010, 09:53 PM

in2bator has disabled reputation

I'm pretty disappointed with my 2 Werewolf Lords - one of them has a crappy paint job (one half of his chest is alot darker than the other), and the other one has a large space down the front of his chest/abdomen from the 2 halves not coming together very well. These issues, coupled with the fact that he looks way too big next to the Anubians and WoB's, makes me less inclined to break him out for use.

Good trades with SirGalahad, Nano*22, delphic, Talyn, Tartandoc, langfordrocks.
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:49 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

This isn't a packaging error, merely a curiosity that I didn't feel warranted its own thread.

Shurrak is a LOT heavier than the Werewolf Lord. I discovered this was because the Werewolf Lord was cast in two pieces that were glued together, probably with an air bubble inside. Why would some figures be cast like Shurrak and some like the Werewolf Lord?

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old August 24th, 2010, 08:53 AM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencerjared View Post
Like winonavampire, I haven't opened mine yet. Got them yesterday, haven't been able to go over them in detail but one thing jumped out at me right from the beginning: I'm missing the bottom right Warforged Soldier from one of my packs. I'll have to take a look and see if I got multiples of any sculpts like the goblins as 1moreheroscaper did.
Nothing else was missing or damaged, WotC customer service said they'd take care of it... in 2-3 business weeks.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old August 24th, 2010, 10:44 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
This isn't a packaging error, merely a curiosity that I didn't feel warranted its own thread.

Shurrak is a LOT heavier than the Werewolf Lord. I discovered this was because the Werewolf Lord was cast in two pieces that were glued together, probably with an air bubble inside. Why would some figures be cast like Shurrak and some like the Werewolf Lord?
Well, I'm pretty sure they're from different releases in their original D&D run. Likely there was just a change at some point in the way WotC designed large figures. The new figures will have all the oddities of the original molds regardless of being "new" to Heroscape.
Old August 24th, 2010, 10:52 AM

Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker

Everything is great with my stuff. The white wyrmling is slightly bent but thats my only complain.
Old August 24th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Drives for Utgar

Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby! Rogue A$$asSIN rolls all skulls baby!

My Ogre had an arm off but I used some glue and it was all good. I do really like that the card stock is thicker than in other waves.

I would rather bite the belly of the beast as it swallows me whole then run from it!

Last edited by Rogue A$$asSIN; August 24th, 2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old August 24th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Yippee! My stuff(D2, wave1 squads, Wave 10 hero pack, Wave 7 hero pack just came in! So far everything looks fine.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old August 24th, 2010, 03:08 PM

Worseley knows what's in an order marker Worseley knows what's in an order marker Worseley knows what's in an order marker

Opened my D2 today and at first glance it seems the only problems mine had were the paint jobs.

All of my warforged soldiers had horrible paintjobs. Some parts weren't painted, other ones had extra areas painted but all of it was sloppy with hardly any of their areas painted completely. Lots of sloppiness on whoever was doing the "Blue painting on them"

The heroes look great and can see a huge difference in quality compared to my poor warforged :P

I also had a Werewolf Lord without a head Glued it in place but it seems they painted the head separately as it looks horribly out of place once i put it back on.

Traders: Hoser, Sphere, Taeblewalker, DiscoStu, Hogg, Onacara, Skeletor, Cavalier, PonchoMan, Just_a_Bill, KRUG!, Wytefang, i2hot4u, Jim, Lakai, NEWT, nerdcorerocks, JediNate, Mutt Lo.
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:42 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Haven't been able to post much since Gencon (catching up on work and home), but after having my packs for a few days I wanted to share my thoughts on the production quality. (I can't help mentioning play occasionally, too.)

From best to worst:

Heroes:
-Heirloom is fantastic. Color scheme and sculpt are just excellent, best figure in the pack. And he's fun to play, too.
-Shurrak is solid! Looks excellent in person, has a very nice heft to him, and is fun to play.
-Kurrak looks much better in person. Nice detail on both the sculpt and the paint job.
-Rhogar needs work. The sculpt is good, the paint job/color scheme is uninspired. He's a fantastic play, but the paint feels lazy.
-Mika . . . meh. Sculpt is so-so and colors are bland. Hair and skin colors are nearly indistinguishable.

Goblins & Warhulk:
- Warhulk looks good. Good sculpt, reasonably detailed paint, sweet weapon, and has the nice little skulls on the base sticker.
- Goblins are actually pretty good. The size difference gives them a lot of flavor right away, and the sculpts are actually pretty interesting. The paint is good, and the colors are passable. Hair and clothing are the same color on two sculpts, which is a bit lazy, but it's not as noticeable as it would be on larger sculpts.

Veterans:
-The Werewolf lord looks decent in person (color scheme fits more than I thought it would), and my kids love the glow-in-the-dark markers. Completely pointless, of course, but fun.

-Mindflayer's red cape looks odd, but the sculpt is good. Feels a little low on detail, but the belt buckle paint is nice if you ever actually see it.

-Warforged are wicked-cool to play, but the paint jobs were much less impressive in person. Very bland, and occasionally poorly done. They really pale in comparison to Heirloom. My favorite units in the wave, but with one of the worst paint jobs. Sculpts are very nice, though, and I'll probably add some of the lighter 'vydar' blue on my own.

Wyrmlings:
Iron Golem is very nice. My son's favorite in this wave.

The Red and Blue Wyrmlings look great, Black is fine. White is... let's just say Nilfheim's wife must have been drinking wood alcohol during the pregnancy.

Does white paint have to suck? I've never gotten large amounts of white to work well on customs, and the white wyrmling looks terrible. Like a 7-year-old did it. (Okay, a 7-year-old might have done a lot of these, but I mean an american 7-year-old who isn't getting paid to do it.) And they are all tipping over.

Is it possible to strip the paint off somehow and start over? I'm going to try dunking it in paint remover, as these guys couldn't possibly look any worse unless I boiled them in acid.

Bases: With the obligatory "I wish they hadn't changed", I think they mostly work pretty well. Very well with the goblins. The stickers help almost as much as a bevel would. One very minor complaint will be placed in spoiler alert, since I was happier before I noticed, and many may never notice. I suggest not looking.

Spoiler Alert!

In all, it's a decent wave from a production standpoint. Some great figures, many good ones, and a few pretty poor ones. Prior wave quality were generally better, I think, though the card issues in D1 appear to have been fixed. One of my warforged was missing a head, but WotC is sending out a replacement already, so no complaints there.

I don't always use custom units, but when I do I use Sherman Davies Marvel customs.
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:31 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
Does white paint have to suck? I've never gotten large amounts of white to work well on customs, and the white wyrmling looks terrible. Like a 7-year-old did it.
Quick notes about my favorite color, white:

- First off, to comment on your spoilers, the white snow tiles can be a variety of colors and any 2 releases can have different color white, its not just a booster vs terrain pack thing. The issue is that white plastic is nearly impossible to get to a consistent shade, as nearly any imperfection will end up turning it a little gray or yellow or something decidedly off-white. I think I have like 6-7 different colored snow tiles in my collection I'm aware of.

- So yeah, white paint sucks. The issue is with most paints you get enough pigment in a small coat of the stuff to cover up whatever is underneath. With white you need a lot more paint so you end up with a much blotchier paint job in the end. I play MonPoc a lot these days, and the UCI figures (white/orange paint scheme) easily have the worst paint jobs in the game for this reason.

I kind of want to cut open the White Wyrmling and see how it was made to know if it could have been better. White figures only seem to work if they're made out of a base white plastic and then finished with a "dirty" cover to add detail, shading, and hide the imperfections of the base material. I'm pretty sure that's why Nilfheim and the Dzu-Teh are as good as they are. If the White Wyrmling is made out of white plastic, then I guess it's just a crummy mold. I'd put my money on black plastic requiring too much white paint to properly cover though.
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:44 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Yeah, I've noticed variation across packs, too. My two TT's look very similar, but they were probably made from the same batch.

Thanks for the info about white. I assume it is white paint on the wyrmling, though it seems a really bad choice now that you raise the point of just molding it in white plastic to begin with.

If it is gray underneath, I'd still prefer that with some white dry brushing to the goopy white.

I don't always use custom units, but when I do I use Sherman Davies Marvel customs.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News