Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old November 30th, 2022, 05:43 PM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Congrats @Astroking112 !! I've had this figure a long time now and glad to have a design to go with it now!
Old December 2nd, 2022, 12:41 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

In the wake of @Astroking112 's success (congrats by the way!), I think the time has come to nominate a custom I've been working on for a while in order to use all minis from the Mechwarrior pack. So, I'd like to submit Major F19 for your consideration.

I think the design encourages interesting decision making throughout the game. He has solid range and can sit back to take shots, but he really wants to be closer to the action to utilize his order marker manipulation special and special attack. From my experience, Scrambled Communications is disruptive, but not in a broken way, and the required rolls have felt balanced enough to make the play to risk coming in close in order to disrupt order markers a good point of decision making. Interestingly, it's not always to your advantage to try and disrupt order markers based on the situation which creates additional depth to the unit. I like the thematic nature of his special attack, and feel like it can create another interesting opportunity for decision making when it comes to staying behind cover or not.

He has been through many iterations, and I really appreciate the feedback I've received through the development process from many individuals.

Thank you for your consideration!

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old December 2nd, 2022, 12:56 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

There are a couple of things I don't get with F19. First, what is theme of Mag Rail Special Attack? Why doesn't it need to see what it's shooting at? Second, Scrambled Communications doesn't work when the opponent only has a single army card. It says they "must" place the order marker on another army card, but in that case they cannot, and the power becomes impossible to fulfill.

Having tested the Thyraxis Dragoon, I know very well how incredibly disruptive order marker reassignment is. In some armies and situations it may not be that bad, but often it is really, really disruptive, even game-changing. Being able to do that every activation, and being rather likely, and can affect more than one order marker? I don't see how that is anything but miserable, even hopeless to fight against with many tournament armies.
Old December 2nd, 2022, 01:00 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Why doesn't it need to see what it's shooting at?
Also, how does it shoot through ruins and castle walls?
Old December 2nd, 2022, 01:12 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Just from doing a cursory look... I would assume the theme to be that the Magnetic Railgun generates so much force that it is piercing through castle walls and other obstacles. Though if that is the case, the question is posed as to why it isn't just damaging everything on a set line.

I appreciate that this special power, if referencing the magnetic railgun indeed, is taking note of the fact that it is lower range when compared to other conventional weapons despite its destructive power.
Old December 2nd, 2022, 02:34 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
It's a rail gun. The theme is that it is literally shooting *through* them to the target.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old December 2nd, 2022, 02:47 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I am unclear (and I meant to ask this again yesterday but forgot) what the power intends when the opponent only has one army card in their control. Does that mean the OMs can't get moved? Or that they get removed and cannot be placed?

I quite like Mag Rail SA, and there is a huge difference between Thyraxis Dragoon (or Agga-Zemir) as a bonding/nonding hero and Major F19 as a solo hero. Of course, once per round is a pretty big limitation as well that F19 does not have.
Old December 2nd, 2022, 03:25 PM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
In the wake of @Astroking112 's success (congrats by the way!), I think the time has come to nominate a custom I've been working on for a while in order to use all minis from the Mechwarrior pack. So, I'd like to submit Major F19 for your consideration.

I think the design encourages interesting decision making throughout the game. He has solid range and can sit back to take shots, but he really wants to be closer to the action to utilize his order marker manipulation special and special attack. From my experience, Scrambled Communications is disruptive, but not in a broken way, and the required rolls have felt balanced enough to make the play to risk coming in close in order to disrupt order markers a good point of decision making. Interestingly, it's not always to your advantage to try and disrupt order markers based on the situation which creates additional depth to the unit. I like the thematic nature of his special attack, and feel like it can create another interesting opportunity for decision making when it comes to staying behind cover or not.

He has been through many iterations, and I really appreciate the feedback I've received through the development process from many individuals.

Thank you for your consideration!
FWIW “line of sight”, and “clear sight” are different things. The wording “clear line of sight” is taken straight from the existing Mind Blast Powers, but shouldn’t be a thing lol. But the important part is that as currently worded you are getting the defense reduction for clear sight, and not line of sight. (Clear sight is any part of the sculpt, including non hit zones) Is that intentional?

Tournament Record:126-52 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Old December 2nd, 2022, 05:52 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
There are a couple of things I don't get with F19. First, what is theme of Mag Rail Special Attack? Why doesn't it need to see what it's shooting at? Second, Scrambled Communications doesn't work when the opponent only has a single army card. It says they "must" place the order marker on another army card, but in that case they cannot, and the power becomes impossible to fulfill.

Having tested the Thyraxis Dragoon, I know very well how incredibly disruptive order marker reassignment is. In some armies and situations it may not be that bad, but often it is really, really disruptive, even game-changing. Being able to do that every activation, and being rather likely, and can affect more than one order marker? I don't see how that is anything but miserable, even hopeless to fight against with many tournament armies.
Quote:
Quote:
Why doesn't it need to see what it's shooting at?
First off, to address Both Scytale and SD's question, the statements from Shiftrex and caps reflect exactly what I was thinking theme-wise for that special attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
Just from doing a cursory look... I would assume the theme to be that the Magnetic Railgun generates so much force that it is piercing through castle walls and other obstacles. Though if that is the case, the question is posed as to why it isn't just damaging everything on a set line.

I appreciate that this special power, if referencing the magnetic railgun indeed, is taking note of the fact that it is lower range when compared to other conventional weapons despite its destructive power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
Quote:
It's a rail gun. The theme is that it is literally shooting *through* them to the target.
The idea is a rail gun capable of piercing through obstacles. Shiftrex brings up a great question that was also asked in the Pre-SoV workshop. I fully acknowledge it's not the best representation of a rail gun, but I did have a couple specific reasons for designing the power as is. I felt that having multiattack potential (or an attack that influenced multiple figures) increased his offensive power to the point where it worked against what I see as an important limitation on Scrambled Communications. As superfrog said, F19 is a single attack non-bonding hero. I wanted him to be powerful enough that he's worth at least one OM, but not necessarily more. Another reason for not including multiattack potential in the SA is that it further complicates the card. An earlier version of the SA did splash damage but I decided based on the advice of some playtesters to simplify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
I am unclear (and I meant to ask this again yesterday but forgot) what the power intends when the opponent only has one army card in their control. Does that mean the OMs can't get moved? Or that they get removed and cannot be placed?

I quite like Mag Rail SA, and there is a huge difference between Thyraxis Dragoon (or Agga-Zemir) as a bonding/nonding hero and Major F19 as a solo hero. Of course, once per round is a pretty big limitation as well that F19 does not have.
To get to more of Scytale's concerns and address superfrog's question, the idea of scrambled communications is that it only works if there is another card with available figures that OM's can be shuffled to. I did not want turns to be lost based on the power alone (though obviously there is the potential to have all OM's forcibly switched to a figure that dies at some point in the round, which may result in OM's being lost). So, if an Army has one Army Card in their army, Scrambled Communications is useless. I've struggled with the wording here, and based on your feedback it's obviously not where it needs to be yet.

Superfrog made a suggestion that might help alleviate some of Scytale's concerns a small bit? I didn't include the stipulation on the card, but would absolutely be happy to add the "once per round" qualifier to Scrambled Communications. I generally only use the ability once per round anyway when I play F19 because putting more OM's on F19 often adversely impacted offensive output to the point where Scrambled Communications made little difference, but I can envision some situations where using the power multiple times could feel helpless and frustrating for the player fighting against F19. Again, I am absolutely fine with the "once per round" limitation if that helps alleviate concerns.

I am also fine with eliminating the part of the power that moves 1 OM in order to simplify the card a bit and reduce the power of the ability as well. I left it on because it created some interest - in most cases it was the X Order Marker that got moved, but not always. There were a couple times I assumed an X Order Marker had been moved when it actually hadn't and it adversely effected me as a result.

Also, sometimes I didn't want to use Scrambled Communications because it actually would have helped my opponent (they made a mistake with OM placement, or moving OM's could have increased their attack potential).

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and feedback.

@boromir96 - thanks for the catch on the wording of Mag Rail Special Attack - that wording was not intentional.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Last edited by Flash_19; December 2nd, 2022 at 11:22 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2022, 06:07 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Hmm, I had overlooked the fact that the opponent chooses which OM gets moved. That really makes this play differently from Dragoon and A-Z.

I vote to review.
Old December 3rd, 2022, 01:04 PM
Upset City Baby!

brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Might be cool to consider making it mandatory to shoot through figures into others within a four space limit as well. Like a more short range super powered Mimring attack. Maybe even have that it's magnetized so it follows soulborgs and possibly armored/metal based units over other figures or grand and moves them into the four space limit or something also. The second part Might be overly complicated, but an interesting idea.

Upset City Baby.
Old December 3rd, 2022, 04:37 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Hmm

I don't like the every turn thing even if the opponent gets to choose. That said, if it's a once per round restriction, it feels like you really just use it the first opportunity there's a card with a at least one figure on it. This figure worries me because it feels way too easy to create a negative gameplay experience.

~Dysole, still not sure yet if she'd vote up a once per round restriction

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs