Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion
Marvel Discussion General discussion, units, rules & FAQs specific to Marvel HS

Notices

Old August 22nd, 2014, 02:18 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
The New Molten Lava Damage Rule

The biggest 'broken' aspect of Classic Scape has always been the Molten Lava damage rule. It is even more problematical in SuperScape, as the much larger number of characters with lava based powers make those without Lava Resistance all too vulnerable, especially if you are playing with characters using push or knockback powers (or worse, generally applicable seperate Knockback rules), or the Force Push powers of H.O.S.S. C3G recognized this years ago with their own modification, which you can find on Fantastic Forces Unite! page 5. The Lava Field damage rule is fine as it is. Interestingly, this thread has gotten three times as many hits as the same one I posted in the Classic Custom section, indicating perhaps that it is indeed more needed for Supers.

However, I wanted something that generated a wider spectrum of possible Molten Lava damage results. I specifically did not use Lava on my map for my Infinity Gauntlet scenario map a few months ago, due to the extreme fatality of the normal Molten Lava damage rule (you need to roll 20 on a D20--yeah, right. It wasn't so bad when Heroscape was first released before pushing/knockback when so few characters had lava abilities). Realizing recently that I wanted that option for TIG2 (The Upcoming Sequel, see separate threads onsite here for either in Marvel Maps and Scenarios), I've come up with the following, which I now share with everyone.

Kolakoski has initially commented that most of the C3G Supers combos that Doc and others consider broken will be unbroken with this rule. We'll see how it plays.

If you have a comment or try it out, let me know here.

(Edits have now been made based on comments below).

THE NEW MOLTEN LAVA DAMAGE RULE FOR HEROSCAPE:

SKULLS AND SHIELDS

By Chas

When any figure not immune to lava damage enters a Molten Lava hex, roll one combat die, performing the following action depending on the results:

Blank: Figure takes no damage; but remove any Order Markers on that card; the OMs removed are not revealed to other players. If a squad member, this figure cannot be activated by any OMs for the rest of this round.

Skull: Roll three combat dice, taking one unblockable wound for each skull rolled. This may result in no damage.

Shield: Roll three combat dice, taking a number of wounds equal to its life number minus the number of shields rolled. If no shields are rolled, the figure is defeated.

Last edited by chas; September 16th, 2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 07:08 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: The New Molten Lava Damage Rule

Interesting, so you roll an attack dice, then depending on what comes up, you roll for what damage your going to take. Instead of BAM your dead. We may try this at my place. Last time we played on a lava map, I force Pushed at least 7 guys into the lava using the HOSS Darth Vader Card. All of them died.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 07:11 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
FYI

C3G released their own version of lava rules which make it slightly more balanced. Your version is even less powerful. I'd link but it's hard on my phone.

~Dysole, noting that it's right in the books under rules
Old August 23rd, 2014, 08:18 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

This is the link Dysole was mentioning...

Molten Lava C3G

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 11:14 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Fwiw, if I could do it again, I'd probably push to weaken lava even more. It's such a powerful force with so many throwers in the game.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old August 24th, 2014, 12:17 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

This appears to be the same rule I reference in the OP.
Old August 24th, 2014, 12:39 AM

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
:p

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
This appears to be the same rule I reference in the OP.
I can read. >_<

~Dysole, who blames being distracted by being at a Doctor Who thing
Old August 26th, 2014, 01:33 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

Hey Chas -- I see what you're doing here, why should Superman suffer instadeath in lava? I have a couple of questions / suggestions:

Blank: So a 1/6 chance you take no damage and spend the rest of the round struggling in the lava. I don't see how this works for Squad or Common figures though. If my Viper goes into the lava, why does it stop the rest of the squad?

Skull: perhaps it would be simpler to roll 2 additional attack dice, and take an unblockable wound for the first skull and then the other 2? So a minimum of 1 damage.

Shield: I'm being dense, but I read this a bunch of times and I can't figure out what it means. An example maybe?
Old August 26th, 2014, 01:38 PM

Ishmel:

1. Good point about squads. How about "if a squad member, this figure can't be activated by any order marker for the rest of the round." (?)

2. It means that you lose all your lives left except for the number of shields you now roll--which in some cases barely saves your behind, if you're lucky.

The idea is to provide a whole spectrum of results from an unlikely 'nothing happens' to 'instant death,' with may possibilities in between. So its still not advisable to enter Molten Lava for anyone unless they are immune, and there should be a hair raising moment for everyone else if it happens to them!

For the first time ever I've put the same post in two places, so see the sister thread A New Molten Lava Damage Rule under the venerable Other Customizations and Heroscape Additions section under the regular customs section for possible further discussion. I wanted both possible audiences to consider it.

Its one thing to allow any major character to fall to Atlaga's Bolt of Witherwood once in a game on a die roll; its quite another to make Instant Disintegration a permanent terrain feature, where others may throw or push you.

Last edited by chas; August 26th, 2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old August 26th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

In a recent NYC Gang of 4 game I used Jotun to throw both Marcus Decimus Gallus and Poison Ivy into a lava hex, using the original rules, and that was the end of them. Now, with Chas' new rules, we should have more interesting lava experiences tomorrow.

Last edited by Taeblewalker; August 26th, 2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old August 26th, 2014, 01:48 PM

Yes. See my new notes on this scenario where I post the teams on the thread The Infinity Gauntlet Two: The March of Conquest, where I discuss scenario/rules making and related topics to this subject.
Old August 26th, 2014, 02:01 PM

Reword

How about something like this for the shield thing?

Roll 3 combat dice. The figure takes a number of wounds equal to its current life number minus the number of shields rolled.

~Dysole, going at it another way

Last edited by Dysole; September 4th, 2014 at 05:25 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion