Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old April 26th, 2010, 03:35 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Re: Gen Con 2010 Main Event Armies

I say bring whatever army you think gives you the best chance to win.

I don't recall any frowning by anyone in this 80 person, highly competitive event. The players that advance to Day 2 are the ones that bring the best armies and now how to play them. Bringing a tier 2 army or a "fun" army just insures you have little to no shot.

Play whatever army you enjoy the most and that you think gives you the best chance.

There are a whole slew of other events where you could play something more fun or cute. The championship is not a time to get cute unless you just want to. IMO, if you want to play something cute, pick another event where you have a better chance at success.

I assure you, no one talks smack about people playing cheesy, dominate armies in the GenCon Championship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GromBloodboy View Post
I think it comes down to playing to win or playing for fun.
Do both-use Stingers like I do: Drain every single turn, even when shooting at things with only 1 Defense when you have height and the +1 Attack glyph. Then you'll be "that guy who brought Stingers but played them like a psycho".
Also known as doing "the Hendal"

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; April 26th, 2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old April 26th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

I had the same problem previous years. I wanted to play my own thing, something unique, and try to win with it. If you're really good with something different or abstract then go for it. But when it comes down to the championship everyone you see who wants to win will play balanced, well built, and killer armies whether it's "creative" or a "cheesy" build. So don't be drawn away from playing Q9, rats, Raelin or something, because mostly everyone who is searching to win the whole thing is playing stuff like that, or stuff they're comfortable and good with. I have fun playing if I play extremely competitive or not, but just keep in mind that it is a tournament, and is the championship, and it happens once a year, and it's probably the biggest and greatest - and that is known by many.

To wrap it up: just remember that you don't want to regret not playing something amazing and not placing high, if you truly want to win, and expect people to be playing amazing things and are also trying to place high and win. Also don't be afraid to play your own thing and style, if you feel you're best with it. Have fun, meet new people, and maybe win some goodies. And maybe save a new army you're eager to run but less experienced with for another event.
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

In case anyone else would like a reminder of the best GenCon 2009 Championship armies, here's the list of 2009 winners.

Championship '09, Day 1
1. Hendal 5-0 (7x Stingers, Raelin)
2. ManTrain 5-0 (4x Heavy Gruts, Raelin Grimnak)
3. RocDoc 4-1 (Cyprien, 5x Stingers, Marro Warriors)
4. Dillerbocker 4-1 (2x Knights, 2x 4th Mass, Gilbert, Eldgrim)
5. gamjuven 4-1 (3x Glads, 2x Blasts, Laglor, Marcu)
6. Clarissimus 4-1 (4x Mass, Braxas)
7. Matthias Maccabeus 4-1 (4x Heavies, Chompy, Raelin, Marcu)
8. David K. 4-1 (Marcus, 3x Romans, 2x 10th Foot, Ne-Gok-Sa, Isamu)
9. R˙chean 4-1 (2x Deathreavers, 5x Stingers, Kaemon Awa)
10. spider_poison 4-1 (3x Glads, 2x Blasts, Raelin, Isamu)
11. MattserTruckRally 4-1 (3x Deathreavers, Braxas, Airborne Elite, Marro Warriors)
12. Cornpuff 4-1 (Atlaga, 2x Minions, Krav, Raelin)
13. madpuppet 4-1 (Braxas, 2x Rats, 2x Stingers, Raelin)
14. Menchi 4-1 (Krav, Finn, Alistair, 3x Knights)
15. nwojedi 4-1 (3x 10th, Airborne Elite, Kaemon Awa, Deathreavers)
16. Worldturtle 4-1 (Krav, Raelin, Kaemon, 4x Dividers)

Championship '09, Day 2
1. MattserTruckRally +Raelin
2. Hendal +Zettian Guards
3. Matthias Maccabeus +Nerak and Swog
4. madpuppet +Marro Warriors and Eldgrim
Top 8:
ManTrain +1x Heavies
R˙chean +James Murphy
CornPuff +2x Repulsors
RocDoc +Stingers and Isamu
Top 16:
spider_poison +Kaemon Awa
Dillerbocker +Raelin
gamjuven +Raelin
Clarissimus +1x 4th Mass
David K. +MBS
nwojedi +Raelin
Worldturtle +Johnny and Isamu
Menchi +1x KoW

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:13 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

If I thought that was the best army available, I would play it regardless of what it is composed of. The question is, do you think that it is the best army available?
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:27 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I'm not going, but I think this:

Q9 - 180
Krav - 280
Laglor - 390
Rats x3 - 510

is the best army available. I wouldn't play it though, because playing 3x Deathreavers in the GenCon Championship made my head hurt real bad.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:34 PM

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Now there is a good example of me NOT thinking about what the points will yield before deciding on them for an event.

Last edited by R˙chean; April 26th, 2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: my head only hurts when playing Q9
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:47 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
I'm not going, but I think this:

Q9 - 180
Krav - 280
Laglor - 390
Rats x3 - 510

is the best army available. I wouldn't play it though, because playing 3x Deathreavers in the GenCon Championship made my head hurt real bad.
Yeah, and the upgrades are pretty nasty (Raelin + Isamu, AE, Raelin + MW).

That said, there's certainly weaknesses. I'd be very comfortable playing against that with PKx4 + Braxas, just to pull one example. Matthias's orcs would probably manage to chomp and disengage their way through, too.
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:49 PM

wait, wait, wait!! MM has already claimed the knights...he can't have the orcs, too!!!

Last edited by R˙chean; April 26th, 2010 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Matthias's anyarmy would fight their way through
Old April 26th, 2010, 05:13 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Sort of a Necro, but I have a moral dilema. Okay, I have the supplies to bring the famed x7 Stingers plus x1 Raelin. My only problem is that when I play people, or go to tourneys where others play an army like that, the player of said army is generally frownded upon for their lack of creativity and there natural ability to win because of their army. So would you guys suggest that I bring an army that is less prone to a cheap win, because it is more fun in general. I could be the uber-arse and bring this army on a hell bent path to win, and we have seen its success in the past, but I don't to be "That guy playing the Stingers". What do you suggest? I think it comes down to playing to win or playing for fun, and is it fun winning, or winning is fun.
Bring what you want to the championship. It's the championship. Yes, you'll be "that guy playing stingers" but if you win, you won't feel bad. (Of course, if you're that guy playing stingers who still can't win...)

But I can guarantee you that many of us will be playtesting against those lame stingers + Raelin builds. The best thing is to get an army that kicks butt and that no one expects.
Old April 26th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
Quote:
Sort of a Necro, but I have a moral dilema. Okay, I have the supplies to bring the famed x7 Stingers plus x1 Raelin. My only problem is that when I play people, or go to tourneys where others play an army like that, the player of said army is generally frownded upon for their lack of creativity and there natural ability to win because of their army. So would you guys suggest that I bring an army that is less prone to a cheap win, because it is more fun in general. I could be the uber-arse and bring this army on a hell bent path to win, and we have seen its success in the past, but I don't to be "That guy playing the Stingers". What do you suggest? I think it comes down to playing to win or playing for fun, and is it fun winning, or winning is fun.
Bring what you want to the championship. It's the championship. Yes, you'll be "that guy playing stingers" but if you win, you won't feel bad. (Of course, if you're that guy playing stingers who still can't win...)

But I can guarantee you that many of us will be playtesting against those lame stingers + Raelin builds. The best thing is to get an army that kicks butt and that no one expects.
SSSHHHHH!!!!!!

I will say it's been interesting trying to shake things up a bit with something no one expects. Our first attempt hasn't been as successful as we thought it would be.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; April 26th, 2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: No one expects orcs still right???
Old April 26th, 2010, 06:43 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!

I played

PK x3
Q10
Sir Dupuis

a little bit ago against a Sentinel/4th army and did alright. The PK make it VERY easy to keep Dupuis at 7 attack, and you don't even have to use him unless some big bad comes trundling up to the fight. PKs handle ranged commons, Dupuis handles the tough guys, and Q10 is your swiss army knife.

It would be interesting to drop Q10 and add Raelin + another PK, but then would there be a danger of rats keeping Dupuis from his target? Perhaps. Unless their blocking is flawless, though, tactical disengagement could save the day. You could also add the same but drop Dupuis instead of Q10.

I guess it depends on what you fear more when playing the PKs.
Old April 26th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

You see, for me, I know I'm going to do bad no matter what I play so I think to my self:

If I play Q9, Raelin, and Rats, and I lose I'm going to feel like an idiot.

If I play a B/C level army, and I lose, I'm going to have an excuse!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion