Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

Old April 17th, 2021, 08:45 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
ScapeCon Map Contest: Finished

ScapeCon (July 29th to August 1st) is just around the corner. What better reason is there for a map contest!

The twist for this contest is all maps have to use split starting zones. Maps with split start zones require tough decisions from the word go and frequently have interesting aesthetics. They have a long history in scape, and many iconic maps make use of them. Despite this, split start zone maps are severely underrepresented. The ScapeCon organizers are calling on the community to help rectify this deficiency.

Map building parameters:
  • All maps must use split starting zones
  • Map submissions can have no more than 1 Master Set and 2 Expansions OR 2 Master Sets and 1 Expansion
  • 24 Hex starting zone
  • Uncapped pillars are allowed
  • Maps must be able to accommodate the Marro Hive
  • The Marvel set is not allowed, since the Gencon terrain doesn't include any sets
Split start zones examples:
Spoiler Alert!

SUBMISSIONS:
Submissions should include a display image (ideally a 3D VirtualScape rendering) and build instructions
A maximum of 2 entries per person.

DEADLINE:
Submissions will be accepted starting now, and ending Sunday, May 9th. To submit a map, just post it in this thread by the end of the 9th.

If you submit your map early and end up tweaking/revising it later, don't worry. Just post the revised version in the thread, and I'll happily update things. I'd much rather have people submitting early, knowing they can revise if they like than have people hold off until the last minute.

Deadline May 9th at 11:59 central

VOTING:
Voting will be done by the community. Submissions will randomly be placed into one of several heats. The maps that receive the most votes will advance to the final round of voting.

PRIZES:
It wouldn’t be a contest without prizes.
  • 1st: $30 to Amazon
If we get over 20 submissions
  • 1st: $30 to Amazon
  • 2nd: $15 to Amazon
If we get over 40 submissions:
  • 1st: $35 to Amazon
  • 2nd: $20 to Amazon
  • 3rd: $10 to Amazon

Clarification: The winning map isn't guaranteed to be selected to ScapeCon's map pool. The winning map will be playtest by event organizers to determine its viability.

Good luck everyone. I’m looking forward to seeing everyone's creations!

Tags:
Spoiler Alert!

Maps:

Last edited by infectedsloth; April 21st, 2022 at 04:37 PM.
Old April 17th, 2021, 10:37 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: ScapeCon Map Contest: Deadline May 8th

Hey this is way cool! Thanks for doing this! Were you going to limit it to maps that have previously not been posted? To be more specific, I have a map or two in development that I haven't posted that are split start zone - would those be fair game to submit?

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old April 18th, 2021, 12:19 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Are we allowed to use a master set as an expansion?

Something like Swarm/Dungeon/Road or Dungeon/Dungeon/Lava?

Also, uncapped pillars, yes or no?

Last edited by superfrog; April 18th, 2021 at 12:59 AM.
Old April 18th, 2021, 12:21 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post

Uncapped pillars is a great way to make bigger ruins. ARV has allowed them in our contests.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old April 18th, 2021, 01:00 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

This is Nathan's project, but yes, uncapped pillars are allowed. It's his call on the other things.

Personally, I'd like to see 2 MS + 1 Exp maps allowed, because those are honestly easier to build with the GenCon terrain pool than 1 MS + 2 Exp maps. We have so many RotVs and SotMs. My advice would to just be conscious about size, and know that you don't have to use all the terrain (nor do you have to use 3 sets).

Last edited by OEAO; April 18th, 2021 at 04:33 PM.
Old April 18th, 2021, 11:10 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post

I've updated the OP. Uncapped pillars are allowed, as are two master set+1 expansion maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Hey this is way cool! Thanks for doing this! Were you going to limit it to maps that have previously not been posted? To be more specific, I have a map or two in development that I haven't posted that are split start zone - would those be fair game to submit?
As long as they haven't been posted, then your good to submit them.
Old April 19th, 2021, 02:25 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Just Gonna Say

I don't think you want me designing maps since I said I'd probably do something like put a bunch of Proftkas scattered across the high ground. ~_^

Still appreciate the tag.

~Dysole, admitting that map assessment and building is one of her weak points in this game
Old April 19th, 2021, 12:24 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Thanks for the tag. Explain why the Capuan Arana map wouldn't be acceptable due to double blind army rules.
Old April 19th, 2021, 12:59 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Thanks for the tag. Explain why the Capuan Arana map wouldn't be acceptable due to double blind army rules.
It’s technically acceptable, but my understanding (as someone who admittedly hasn’t played it) is that it’s a Turret Rocks/Hot Heights scenario where it just isn’t that good for traditional tournament games.
Old April 19th, 2021, 01:02 PM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEAO View Post
Quote:
It’s technically acceptable, but my understanding (as someone who admittedly hasn’t played it) is that it’s a Turret Rocks/Hot Heights scenario where it just isn’t that good for traditional tournament games.
Also cannot accommodate the hive.

Tournament Record:124-50 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Old April 19th, 2021, 08:03 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEAO View Post
Quote:
It splits up armies too much, and that warps matchups and leads to highly initiative-dependent early games. Every startzone area is quickly reachable by another startzone area which doesn't leave you with much way to keep particular figures safe, so armies with lynchpin figures like Kurrok or Ulginesh are very vulnerable. For successful split startzone maps, it's important to have a space where certain figures can be safe.
Old April 19th, 2021, 09:26 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I certainly agree with what's previously been said regarding the rationale behind avoiding maps like Capuan Arana in a double-blind tournament setting, but I wanted to add one more thought about a generalization (in the way I think about it, at least) to the root issue:

If the map ends up making a significant number of figures move up or down the power rankings more than a half a grade, then it's not ideal for this type of format.

For example with Capuan Arena, Ulginesh & Kurrok would drop down in power rankings considerably (as Vegie mentioned), and flying figures would jump up considerably (i.e. Einar Imperium are actually decent, as they can jump from one SZ pod directly into the next, kill most of the figures, and avoid being engaged by any kind of mele); comparably, mele squads drop considerably and have almost no chance against good flying squads or ranged squads. If one A/A- army has almost no chance against another A/A- army on the given map, then that's an issue.

In general, I feel the best split-SZ maps enhance & decreases just a few key heroes (Cyprien & Kursus for example) but don't affect the overall power-rankings level of most of the 'whole' competitive armies (i.e. Knights v. 4th/10th).

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games