Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old April 12th, 2010, 04:54 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Gen Con 2010 Main Event Armies

I still like my stupidly simple Hydra army:

80 Raelin RotV
120 Fen Hydra
120 Deathreavers x3
180 Major Q9
500, 17 hexes

Deathreavers give you board control and pace control. Q9 gives you a counter for ranged squaddies and a way to deal with opposing rats. The Fen Hydra is your counter to anything that breaks through the rat screen.

@600, add KMA (20) or Kelda+Marcu (19).
@620, add KMA+Marcu (21) or AE + Isamu (22) or Fen Hydra (19) or Kelda + Deathreavers (22).
@640, add KMA + Deathreavers (24) or Kelda + Marro Warriors + Isamu (23) or AE + Drow Chainfighter/Air Elemental/Guilty/Eldgrim (22) or Fen Hydra + Marcu (20).
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:59 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Personal preferences aside, there are some very good aspects of the Romans, though.

If you keep them bunched together, they're 3-4 just like the Knights.

You don't have to activate Marcus or have clear sight to get his movement bonus, which you can rely on to always be 1 space. You can activate Mogrimm until he's dead and still get the movement bonus.

Since they're cheaper, you can afford 4 squads, 2 heroes AND Raelin, which is something the Knights and Orcs can't do at 500/510. Plus, they like to bunch up anyway, which makes Raelin's job easier with them.

They get +3 to initiative as long as Mogrimm is alive, and if the opponent doesn't have a special attack, that'll be a while, especially with Raelin.

The addition of NGS + Romans is a symbol is rolled is pretty darn sickening (of course, so is the symbol add-on for my KoW army below). The thought of having to kill Mogrimm and NGS, both protected by Raelin, and 20 Romans seems daunting.

Here's the best KoW army I can come up with quickly - I'm not sure which one I like better:

Sir Gilbert - 105
Knights of Weston x3 - 315
Nilfheim - 500, 15 hexes

600 - Knights + Eldgrim, 20
620 - Knights + Marro Warriors, 23
640 - Knights x2, 23

This one has some range and a way to deal with Deathreavers, but less figures on Day 1 and no Raelin.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:14 AM

Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Today I played the Phantom Knights against Q9 (and Rats/Krav) and they are a very even match up. Needless to say, this says a lot about their anti-range capabilities. This leads me to:

3x Phantom Knights 210
Major Q9 390
3x Rats 510

23 hexes, a bit high, little room for reinforcements but whatever

+Raelin 590
+Raelin/Guilty 620
+Raelin/Arkmer 640

The Phantom Knights are effective against range, and rats+Q9 is good against... a lot. Send out the agile PK's to assassinate Raelin or Q9 or any range, really, then let Q9 be Q9.

Handle origin: I used to film comedy skits with my friends. I didn't want any cursing in them, so I made up new insults, like "dendrik". Then Sir Denrick came out, and the rest is history.
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
I still like my stupidly simple Hydra army:

80 Raelin RotV
120 Fen Hydra
120 Deathreavers x3
180 Major Q9
500, 17 hexes
I played this army last night against

7xPK
Cyprien
Isamu

and even though the Deathreavers couldn't hold down the PKs due to stealth flying and were basically glyph grabbers, it was a close game.

I like the PK a lot, but even with their stealth flying I feel like they aren't game openers.

Anyone have any thoughts on Phantom Knights as openers or closers?

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:28 PM

1red2blue4 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Wait, you pitted a 500 pt. army against a 650 pt. army?

I have a solution to shun PK's:

x3 Roman Archers 165
x3 4th mass. line 210
Tandros Kreel 120
Total: 495 Hexes: 22

But that's about all it does. It might work nicely against defesive abilities that defend against normal attacks.

The 4th mass. also get the defense bonus.

Last edited by 1red2blue4; April 13th, 2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:53 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulp View Post

Anyone have any thoughts on Phantom Knights as openers or closers?
I see them as going in right after the Deathreavers in an air mobile army . . .

140 PKs x 2
120 Kaemon
110 AE
80 Deathreavers x 2
40 Theracus
10 Isamu
Old April 14th, 2010, 07:46 AM

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1red2blue4 View Post
Wait, you pitted a 500 pt. army against a 650 pt. army?

I have a solution to shun PK's:

x3 Roman Archers 165
x3 4th mass. line 210
Tandros Kreel 120
Total: 495 Hexes: 22

But that's about all it does. It might work nicely against defesive abilities that defend against normal attacks.

The 4th mass. also get the defense bonus.
How do you figure? They have the Valiant defense bonus - it's the Sacred Band that get the Disciplined defense bonus.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old April 14th, 2010, 03:42 PM

Oh, oops...
Old April 14th, 2010, 04:27 PM

Man, I'm not good at remembering. Hopefully this set works the way I hope:

Marcus Decimus 100
Taelord 180
x3 10 Reg. of Foot 225
Total: 505 Hexes: 14

@ 600, x1 Reg. of Foot + Marcu Esenwein 19 hexes
@ 620, x1 Reg. of Foot + x1 Deathreavers 22 hexes
@ 640, x1 Reg. of Foot + x2 Water Elementals 20

It can kill figures easier, but it gets killed easier.

(sorry for the double post)

Last edited by 1red2blue4; April 14th, 2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old April 14th, 2010, 04:44 PM

Could you imagine how sick it would be if the 4th actually did get the Disciplined bonus instead of Valiant?

4th Mass x4 - 280
Kaemon Awa - 400
Marcus Decimus - 500, 18

(that army is probably pretty good anyway.....)

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old April 26th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Sort of a Necro, but I have a moral dilema. Okay, I have the supplies to bring the famed x7 Stingers plus x1 Raelin. My only problem is that when I play people, or go to tourneys where others play an army like that, the player of said army is generally frownded upon for their lack of creativity and there natural ability to win because of their army. So would you guys suggest that I bring an army that is less prone to a cheap win, because it is more fun in general. I could be the uber-arse and bring this army on a hell bent path to win, and we have seen its success in the past, but I don't to be "That guy playing the Stingers". What do you suggest? I think it comes down to playing to win or playing for fun, and is it fun winning, or winning is fun.

Tourney Record:17-10 (08/02/11)
Old April 26th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GromBloodboy View Post
I think it comes down to playing to win or playing for fun.
Do both-use Stingers like I do: Drain every single turn, even when shooting at things with only 1 Defense when you have height and the +1 Attack glyph. Then you'll be "that guy who brought Stingers but played them like a psycho".

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion