Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old February 2nd, 2007, 02:33 PM
2-time GenCon Mindshackle and Main Event Champion

spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwars
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_poison
Quote:
Originally Posted by playa1
I propose Spider's Nightmare: An army of all his D's and F's (reminds me of my high school years)

Sudema 140
Morsbane 100
DW 7000 100
Shades 100
Dund 110

Total 550

So, what do you think? Could it take out 3 Q9's???

I'd be willing to give it a try!
There's a thread "what would beat my army"...here's a challenge: What 550 point army would lose to this army? Only one restriction, no Deathreavers or Swog Riders.
OK, here you go...

Ornak - 100
Acolarh - 110
Hatamoto Taro - 130
Obsidian Guards - 100
Marcus - 100
I think you've done it. Acolarh and Hatamoto are just pure genius. However, I think maybe at least one soul devour might be needed to still lose. As long as Sudema avoids the Obsidians, she could probably school most of your army. Great thinking!
Old February 2nd, 2007, 03:29 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
You specialize in excellence....I specialize in crap. :P
Old February 2nd, 2007, 04:49 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwars
Quote:
Quote:
I propose Spider's Nightmare: An army of all his D's and F's (reminds me of my high school years)

Sudema 140
Morsbane 100
DW 7000 100
Shades 100
Dund 110

Total 550

There's a thread "what would beat my army"...here's a challenge: What 550 point army would lose to this army? Only one restriction, no Deathreavers or Swog Riders.
OK, here you go...

Ornak - 100
Acolarh - 110
Hatamoto Taro - 130
Obsidian Guards - 100
Marcus - 100
I think you've done it. Acolarh and Hatamoto are just pure genius. However, I think maybe at least one soul devour might be needed to still lose. As long as Sudema avoids the Obsidians, she could probably school most of your army. Great thinking!
I like how you actually thought about which matchup had the better chance, and what which army would have to worry about most.

I jut looked at them both and said what crap and didn't give them any more thought
Old February 2nd, 2007, 05:37 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin
Tremendous! Thank you, sir!

~Aldin, who always finds that stuff like this makes him want to craft a superior squad of the "bad ones" (must have been watching "Dirty Dozen" with my dad as a kid)
Yes, I agree. I propose Spider's Nightmare: An army of all his D's and F's (reminds me of my high school years)

Sudema 140
Morsbane 100
DW 7000 100
Shades 100
Dund 110

Total 550

Yeah, yeah, yeah - think you're funny, eh?

On a more serious note, how about this army comprised entirely of units receiving a C- or worse:

Sudema
Deathwalker 9k
Runa
1xDeathstalkers
500 points

It'd be a blast to play and annoying as anything to defend against. The 'Stalkers are fast enough and have a good enough defense to tie stuff up while DW9k makes things explode. Meanwhile, the threat that Sudema and Runa represent can't be ignored. Oddly enough, one of the perfect tasks for the Deathstalkers is the destruction of Raelin. Two lucky rolls and she's toast.

~Aldin, rehabilitating armies since 2007

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:04 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
thanks for posting your rankings up, spider.

Good reading and I find I am mostly in agreement.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Great thread S_P! Love the effort and completeness you put into this.
I agree with a lot of your ratings.

Quote:
Shades of Bleakewoode- Though a high “cool” factor, the Shades are the worst thing to come out of wave 6. Seven stealth flying can be handy at times, though. D+
Shaolin Monks- Give the monks one more defense and they could be some of the best units out there. As it is, Monks fall too easily to just about anything. C+

I think you're dinging the Shades a little too much. The idea of a Mind Shackle ability in a common squad is definitely a high cool factor, and the Stealth Flying with 7 move lend them to a variety of last minute strategies on the board.

And the Shaolins? I'd love to see them with 4 defense. When Wave 3 was unveiled at GenCon '05, the Marrden Hounds and Monks were the most exciting units to me. But those darned monks hardly get drafted in our games!!! C+ hurts, but I think it's fair - especially when representing how little they are drafted.
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:14 AM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I thought the shades had to be a little better than SP gave them credit for too, but I played him with a couple sets, and I don't think I will be playing them again anytime soon. They are kind of neat but not very effective and pretty spendy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour
Great thread S_P! Love the effort and completeness you put into this.
I agree with a lot of your ratings.

Quote:
Shades of Bleakewoode- Though a high “cool” factor, the Shades are the worst thing to come out of wave 6. Seven stealth flying can be handy at times, though. D+
Shaolin Monks- Give the monks one more defense and they could be some of the best units out there. As it is, Monks fall too easily to just about anything. C+

I think you're dinging the Shades a little too much. The idea of a Mind Shackle ability in a common squad is definitely a high cool factor, and the Stealth Flying with 7 move lend them to a variety of last minute strategies on the board.

And the Shaolins? I'd love to see them with 4 defense. When Wave 3 was unveiled at GenCon '05, the Marrden Hounds and Monks were the most exciting units to me. But those darned monks hardly get drafted in our games!!! C+ hurts, but I think it's fair - especially when representing how little they are drafted.
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:47 AM

spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Yeah, the Shades do deserve a better rating than D+, but I was ranting about how bad they were before wave 6 came out, and so I'm trying to exaggerate a little just to prove my point . However, I still think they are the worst squad in wave 6, but maybe they need a C or something like that.
Old February 7th, 2007, 01:47 PM

playa1 knows what's in an order marker playa1 knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Yeah, the Shades do deserve a better rating than D+, but I was ranting about how bad they were before wave 6 came out, and so I'm trying to exaggerate a little just to prove my point . However, I still think they are the worst squad in wave 6, but maybe they need a C or something like that.
Wow, that almost sounds like a concession -- Your "anti-shade" point is well-taken. They are very difficult to use: The whole idea that they can only use their ability "before" they move make the "mindshackle" thing nearly impossible to achieve except in very unusual situations.

The bottom line in all of this is the point cost: If you compare the shades to Rats, you have very similar stats as well as abilities (insofar as the disengage); however the incredible 60 point cost difference makes the rats look good and the shades look lousy. So, when you look at it that way, the "grade" is always dependent on the point cost (and the abilities/survivability that you get for the cost).

Thus, we can jump to the discussion on Taelord . . .
Old February 7th, 2007, 02:27 PM
has been BANNED

Stealth Dodge is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
The Shades like other units are highly situational. Obviously against a heavy squad army they would not be nearly as good, they obviously are designed as a counter for expensive Heroes. With their movement they should often get height giving them 3/5 for stats and they should often be able to surround their Hero Target, which leaves an interesting decision for your opponent: "Do I risk 3 or so disengagement attacks or do I allow them to roll for their game breaking affect on their next turn"
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:20 PM

Okay, so I went through and made it a little easier to read...I'll probably continue to format it so it'll be easier to read and more pleasing to the eye. I also added an explanation for the rankings at the bottom of the list. Lastly, I adjusted a few rankings. They were:

Going Up

Dund- Yes, he's very bad, but there are a few situations where he can do okay. Credit goes to johnny139 for Dund going up 3 letter grades to a D+.

Kelda- Kelda is much better now with Raknar's Vision out. I didn't take that into much consideration. Credit goes to jacob_j_p for Kelda increasing from a D+ to a C.

Syvarris- I was pretty cruel to him when I first made the list. Sure, he dies easily, but a good player won't park him in a pond in the middle of a map. SW8K and jdtenor think he's much better and so he deserves a B instead of a C+.

Gorillas- Perhaps I was taking Q9 too much into the equation when giving them a C+. Plus, I don't want to offend Chimpy's kind . C+ to a B-.

Shades- I still hate them, but a C- is fairer.

Going Down

Agent Carr- Maybe he's a B because was one of the first units to be rated. Though still not a bad unit, Carr was overrated by a little. B to a B-.
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:47 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Gorillas- Perhaps I was taking Q9 too much into the equation when giving them a C+. Plus, I don't want to offend Chimpy's kind . C+ to a B-.
Chimpy's kind, eh? Nice to see that we are finally getting some recognition.

"Clay lies still, but blood's a rover; / Breath's a ware that will not keep.
Up, lad: when the journey's over / There'll be time enough to sleep!"
~"Reveille", A.E. Housman

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion