Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old July 15th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Yep, just a bit of gentle razzing.

Letting us know which games you found fun and why does help those of us to determine whether we should investigate those games to see if they might be fun for us.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old July 15th, 2015, 12:15 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Yeah Q, I see what you mean and I'll try to do better to take the time to give better impressions of games played when I post them here. I have been linking them to BGG for people to check it out there if they were unfamiliar. I often also do my group's Geeklist for games played on Monday night or on our monthly all day Saturday events, so that takes up some of my time too and can get me to rush comments here.

This one for example, NWIBGA Monday Night Game Night Geeklist , is from this past Monday. My group has score sheets made up so that players can fill them out and leave them in a central spot to be collected at the end of the night. I grab what's there when I leave (anywhere from 9:30 to 11is) and someone else will grab any others left from later games played, and then add them to the Geeklist already started. I post the link to the Geeklist on our group's FB page (we have 4 separate ones for various categories) and then people can go to the Geeklist and add something or comment on specific games played whenever they get time.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:03 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Letting us know which games you found fun and why does help those of us to determine whether we should investigate those games to see if they might be fun for us.

Thank you!
Yes Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
I have been linking them to BGG for people to check it out there if they were unfamiliar.
I know it's not the responsibility for those on here to give me their opinions but I do really enjoy reading them. BGG is nice an all and I do go there a lot from your links but those reviews are mostly from "strangers" who I know nothing about...these I feel like are from people I know a little about and I can base their opinion on what I have observed and get a better idea.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old July 15th, 2015, 11:03 PM

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

And at the very least, there's one game that we all like.

Quote:
Old July 15th, 2015, 11:33 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
And at the very least, there's one game that we all like.
Uno?

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old July 16th, 2015, 12:22 AM

Yes, one.

Quote:
Old July 16th, 2015, 08:53 AM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Games I will be playing later: Summoner Wars iOS app just updated with the remaining six factions!!! Only $3.99 for all six and I believe that includes their reinforcements as well.
Old July 16th, 2015, 09:15 AM
A Man of Taste

Quote:
Yes, one.
I meant uno the game... as an answer to your comment about the game we all like.

Old July 16th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

The most fun game I've played recently is definitely Arena of the Planeswalker. I love that the squad are a bit more durable (often with 2-3 life) and I especially like the card play. The game gets quite interesting as you invoke new powers at just the right time.

[Did I do better this time, @quozl ?]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
<snip>

Good looking list of games there V. Of those, I've only tried Medieval Academy (last week in fact), and I liked that one quite a bit. I remember the KS for it and wish I would have gotten in on that one.

I've seen people at game night playing Castles of Mad King Ludwig and it looks pretty neat. I have Suburbia and enjoy that, though I know Castles is somewhat different.

I've been wanting to try Spyfall for awhile now. Others in the group always seem to play it when I'm already engaged in other games, and all I hear is lots of laughing and good times from over there. I know it's been played at least 6 times there and it has always sounded like one I just have to get into and try sometime.

Elysium looks like a neat one too that I would really like to try.
Elysium has a lot more player interaction than Splendor--it's definitely a more intense experience, though it does add to game length in the process.

Spyfall is a lot of fun. Again, I don't really think the scoring works all that well, but its the experience of either (a) trying to ask questions that reveal you are an "insider," but which don't give the spy too much into or (b) trying to bluff your way to victory as the spy that makes it just a riot--hard, but so fun.

Castles just didn't quite work for me. I wanted it to. I love Suburbia, but Castles feels lighter and less meaningful and slower paced.

I have now preordered Medieval Academy from CoolStuff. Looking forward to when it comes out. Just an excellent family-style drafting and board control game. (And I will order Code Names as soon as I can.)

@chas , thanks for the link. I got my sons Memoir (with Eastern Front) for their upcoming birthdays. We'll be using those scenarios soon, I hope.
Old July 16th, 2015, 02:13 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Last night was another Wed. and we had another Family Carcassonne session . . . it took 2 hours and 20 minutes to place the 240 tiles. I took an early lead and practically had double they're scores, then things bogged down they eventually caught up to me around 150 points. However, I was still in the lead with 272 vs. 253 vs. 234 vs. 219 points until we added in the Farmers. In passive-aggressive protest to my wife's badgering and belittling comments last week, I intentionally place zero farmers on the board, so that was my final score. Brenda who was off by herself had 3 Farms to add +28 +28 +9 for a final score of 299 pts.; Carol boosted her score with only two farms +12 and +60 for a final of 325 pts.; while Tom managed to sneak his Big Guy Meepel into his mother's huge farm to share in the +60 pts. plus a nice +44 in the center between the two River segments that he held onto since the beginning and his last tile played enabled another Farmer on the edge of the map to gain +9 pts. which gave him the win by only 7 pts. at 332 total.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old July 16th, 2015, 02:22 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

A other games from Dice Tower Con:

Specter Ops - definitely enjoyed this one. If you like hidden movement games, this is great. It's different from others, because it adds in some combat and special powers that make it feel over interactive and less of just a guessing game. It's on the wishlist (if only my wife/daughter had liked it more...).

Nations: The Dice Game - enjoyed this as well. I feel like it's a nice step up from something like Roll Through the Ages. I like the process of building your civilization, though I'll admit that it still felt a bit too truncated. It's on my interested list.

Goblins Drool, Fairies Rule - quite a fun, thoughtful (though lighter) card game. It's a good family/kids game that requires some fun thinking. (I worry that if you owned it you might be able to begin to memorize the backsides of cards, though).

Red7 - I've played before (and liked it), but it was fun to teach my wife and play again. It's a brainburner and some turns it just won't go well for you, but if you want a really thought-inducing card game that plays fairly fast, this is it. If you only play a quick one-off, it's good, but I think it's better if you play it to a score, as recommended in the rules and if you use the variant that gives you a card draw if you play a larger card to the center. This is on my buy list.

Camel Up - I liked this quite a bit--but as a lighter game. A tricky betting game that hard to master--just so much going on. I love the fun, silly, and yet still meaningful actions and choices. It's hard to win, but I've enjoyed every game of it! (Bought it at the DTC Flea Market.)

Mayday! Mayday! - a challenging social deduction game where you are trying to figure out who is a bomber on the plane and stop them from entering the cockpit. Never released in the US (wonder why!), but quite a tough social game.

I also purchased Rattlebones and Steam Park--two of my favorites in the family-style game category. Rattlebones is a carnival setting where you are actually building your dice--changing the sides as you gain new powers for your dice (quirky and fun) and Steam Park has you building up an amusement park for robots (sort of like Zooleretto), as you try to attract new robots to your park, all the while trying to keep yourself from drowning in dirt. I like the frantic dice-rolling (to get actions and bonuses) followed by more thoughtful park building.
Old July 17th, 2015, 06:23 PM

We've been running through the scenarios in Earth Reborn. They add a little more rules in each scenario. This past scenario has LoS and interruption rules. Really cool how it works as you need to hide from figures if you don't want them trying to interrupt your turn and come over and attack you.

Next scenario we get to learn equipment and shooting!

Quote:

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games