Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old November 4th, 2014, 03:58 PM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!
Tournaments for <5 people?

So my friends and I like to play heroscape. We usually play for fun. I mean, we like to win, but the armies we use tend to be not on the competitive side most of the time. That's fun and all, but we also would like to have something competitive between just us friends. The thing is, none of us know any good formats for a "tournament" for just the four of us (sometimes there are only two or three of us, but we have four at max). So I bring the question to you, intelligent scapers:
Are there any good formats or ways of playing that would be good for 2-4 players to have a tournament?
If you think that there's already enough variations of tourneys, don't leave!! I will always be glad to hear a new recommendation, and I'm sure anyone browsing this thread would too. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas!!!!!

Last edited by mtl1998; November 5th, 2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old November 4th, 2014, 04:37 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Tournaments for a <5 people?

If you have enough terrain one thing we do is to create two tables and play with a winner table and a loser table. After the first two rounds the winner at the winner table picks the table to play at and the losers play the other. If you have a lot of terrain we have done 4 tables...First you would make a round robin three match match-up and have one person from each group randomly draw (from a hat or whatever) to find out which map you play on. I have also read somewhere on here where they run sort of a fantasy league where each player has a "home" field and with 4 players you could create a 6 "week" season where each player plays everyone else twice, Once at home and once away. If you have a regular group I think that would be pretty cool. Not necessarily tournament like but you could start getting use to using your home field and have an advantage.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old November 4th, 2014, 04:39 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Are you asking for a 1 day tournament with a given (small) amount of people or asking about a multi-week event where there may be a different number of people each event?
Old November 4th, 2014, 04:50 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

You could organize a game of RiSkape....
Old November 4th, 2014, 05:10 PM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Tournaments for <5 people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
Are you asking for a 1 day tournament with a given (small) amount of people or asking about a multi-week event where there may be a different number of people each event?
1-2 day tournament with a given (2-4) amount of people.

Last edited by mtl1998; November 5th, 2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old November 4th, 2014, 05:11 PM

Re: Tournaments for <5 people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshMEL View Post
You could organize a game of RiSkape....
I have seen that before, and it looks interesting, but I think we would all prefer plain ol scape. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Last edited by mtl1998; November 5th, 2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old November 4th, 2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
If you have enough terrain one thing we do is to create two tables and play with a winner table and a loser table. After the first two rounds the winner at the winner table picks the table to play at and the losers play the other. If you have a lot of terrain we have done 4 tables...First you would make a round robin three match match-up and have one person from each group randomly draw (from a hat or whatever) to find out which map you play on. I have also read somewhere on here where they run sort of a fantasy league where each player has a "home" field and with 4 players you could create a 6 "week" season where each player plays everyone else twice, Once at home and once away. If you have a regular group I think that would be pretty cool. Not necessarily tournament like but you could start getting use to using your home field and have an advantage.
I like that fantasy league idea. It sounds fun. We usually play games one or two days straight, but that could change.. We did a double round robin once with 4 people and three maps, then compare points killed to decide winner.
Old November 4th, 2014, 06:21 PM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Here's what I want to do sometime soon, perhaps Christmas/Thanksgiving, take a listen.

I wanted to set up a 2000ish point draft pool consisting of figures of MY choice, full of some overused and some underused figures of all kinds. Bring the three guys and myself together to do a draft for the four of us, probably drafting 400 point armies. Maybe write the armies down if you wish to do this over a few days...

I want to set up three maps that vary in size, LOS blockers, height, and terrain. These maps will probably include at least some sort of bigger castle map (a mostly fair one,) and a lava map. I want to make each map look and play unique. Include treasure glyphs on one or two of the maps.

I want games to go like this:
-Game 1: Standard kill the opponent
-Game 2: Capture the flag OR Heat/Chaos of battle (yea there's a bit in the air here, leaning toward chaos of battle, I find it very unique)
-Game 3: Reverse the whip-swap armies with your opponent, standard kill match. You get to fight against your own army here!

This is just what I'm planning, since we are looking to have 4-5 guys around for a scape marathon one day for the holidays (gotta find a way to get the wives busy, though.) Feel free to pick and choose pieces that you like, or copy the whole thing, or ignore me and move along...

I don't plan on tracking who wins/loses the most, we simply get together for fun.
Old November 4th, 2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwiker View Post
Here's what I want to do sometime soon, perhaps Christmas/Thanksgiving, take a listen.

I wanted to set up a 2000ish point draft pool consisting of figures of MY choice, full of some overused and some underused figures of all kinds. Bring the three guys and myself together to do a draft for the four of us, probably drafting 400 point armies. Maybe write the armies down if you wish to do this over a few days...

I want to set up three maps that vary in size, LOS blockers, height, and terrain. These maps will probably include at least some sort of bigger castle map (a mostly fair one,) and a lava map. I want to make each map look and play unique. Include treasure glyphs on one or two of the maps.

I want games to go like this:
-Game 1: Standard kill the opponent
-Game 2: Capture the flag OR Heat/Chaos of battle (yea there's a bit in the air here, leaning toward chaos of battle, I find it very unique)
-Game 3: Reverse the whip-swap armies with your opponent, standard kill match. You get to fight against your own army here!

This is just what I'm planning, since we are looking to have 4-5 guys around for a scape marathon one day for the holidays (gotta find a way to get the wives busy, though.) Feel free to pick and choose pieces that you like, or copy the whole thing, or ignore me and move along...

I don't plan on tracking who wins/loses the most, we simply get together for fun.
Well, I'm definetley not going to ignore and move on...
If we would do a pool, we would either do a smaller pool or just use everyone we have (our collection is smaller than most as we got into scape a little later than we would've liked). I like the idea with three completely different maps. I'm not sure how the others would like different formats of games, but I'll have to check and see what they think (we just about exclusively play kill em all).
Thanks for the ideas! Much appreciated!
Old November 4th, 2014, 06:58 PM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I don't know what you have, but I bet you could get a 1500 pt pool out of the figures from rotv and sotm, I haven't done the math, though. Regardless, if you are doing draft pool, have more figures/points in the pool than you'll actually need (aka don't make a 1500 pt pool when you have three players vying to make 500 pt armies, someone is bound to end up real short on points. Instead,make an 1800 point pool.)

You should totally mention heat/chaos of battle to your buds. And reverse the whip. Those are technically still kill'em alls, just with slight twists.
Old November 4th, 2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwiker View Post

You should totally mention heat/chaos of battle to your buds. And reverse the whip. Those are technically still kill'em alls, just with slight twists.
Yeah, I think those will go over well.
Old November 4th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1998 View Post
So my friends and I like to play heroscape. We usually play for fun. I mean, we like to win, but the armies we use tend to be not on the competitive side most of the time. That's fun and all, but we also would like to have something competitive between just us friends. The thing is, none of us know any good formats for a "tournament" for just the four of us (sometimes there are only two or three of us, but we have four at max). So I bring the question to you, intelligent scapers:
Are there any good formats or ways of playing that would be good for 2-4 players to have a tournament?
If you think that there's already enough variations of tourneys, don't leave!! I will always be glad to hear a new recommendation, and I'm sure anyone browsing this thread would too. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas!!!!!
Tournament format with 4 people? Easy-peasy. Round robin. Everyone plays everyone else, compare records at the end. Use partial card scoring for tiebreaks. At the end of the game, the loser gets 100 points for killing all the Krav Maga Agents, but if he killed 2, he still gets 66 points. Similarly, he gets 30 points for putting 1 wound on Kaemon Awa (1/4 of his life). The winners always get the 440 (or whatever) army size, and the losers get points for the damage they did.

If it's you & your buddies, and you're used to each other and share units, why don't you do a draft? 440 points, 24 hexes, 1 unit at a time; keep it very simple.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion