Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old June 7th, 2015, 09:42 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

On Saturday June 6 we held our Second Annual Memoir 44 D-Day Landings game with all 12 players at our FLGS. The Germans actually managed to win, to the amazement of both sides! I was Germans again, this time defending Utah beach, while serving as Assistant Event Runner/Rules Expert for half of the other players.

The Germans had won so infrequently in all the 1 and 3 map games I'd played previously (and in last years 6 mapper) that I thought we'd need to change the rules a bit. So it turns out the game is more well balanced than it would appear, at least for the full game!

I picked up a second Mediteranean Expansion to get some more Brits, and 22 free Heroclix Supers at the store. These included a very cool figure "Monkey King," who is a minor Marvel character it turns out. But I'll be using it for my own version of the original MK (see my supers custom thread).

Then TW got a game from the discount shelf and we played it: Space Pirates (Siruis). You need pick up and delivery strategy, visual acuity for navigation on the table, and even flicking! I ended up buying it from TW after our first play. The flicking skills and tactics reminded me of playing the bottle cap flicking "Skully" on the pavements of Queens, NY back in the late Fifties and early Sixties.

So I got to use my old street smarts once again...
Old June 7th, 2015, 09:50 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Let's see.... I brought La Citta, Buy Low Sell High, Venture Forth, Time Pirates, Sunken City, Tower of Babel, China, Feudo, Fits, and Quo Vadis?

I came home with some stuff I want to try out: Hobbit Tales, World Conquerors, Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords, and Earth Reborn.

I also came home with some stuff that's going on the sell/trade pile: Carnival, Eaten by Zombies, Last Night on Earth, Livingstone, Settles of Catan Historical Scenarios: Cheops and Alexander, and Star Fleet Battles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old June 7th, 2015, 10:17 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Played Mission Red Planet, Dead of Winter and Chaos in the Old World today.

Finished painting these this week.

Two more royal guard champions are ready to enter the fray.

I think this is my best Vader yet, but I don't think the picture does it justice.

It is kind of hard to tell in the photos, but the boots, belt and gloves are darker than the suits.

The Nexu are a lot of fun to paint. The big mouths make for an interesting focal point.
Old June 7th, 2015, 10:18 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
On Saturday June 6 we held our Second Annual Memoir 44 D-Day Landings game with all 12 players at our FLGS. The Germans actually managed to win, to the amazement of both sides! I was Germans again, this time defending Utah beach, while serving as Assistant Event Runner/Rules Expert for half of the other players.

The Germans had won so infrequently in all the 1 and 3 map games I'd played previously (and in last years 6 mapper) that I thought we'd need to change the rules a bit. So it turns out the game is more well balanced than it would appear, at least for the full game!

I picked up a second Mediteranean Expansion to get some more Brits, and 22 free Heroclix Supers at the store. These included a very cool figure "Monkey King," who is a minor Marvel character it turns out. But I'll be using it for my own version of the original MK (see my supers custom thread).

Then TW got a game from the discount shelf and we played it: Space Pirates (Siruis). You need pick up and delivery strategy, visual acuity for navigation on the table, and even flicking! I ended up buying it from TW after our first play. The flicking skills and tactics reminded me of playing the bottle cap flicking "Skully" on the pavements of Queens, NY back in the late Fifties and early Sixties.

So I got to use my old street smarts once again...
Sounds like fun Chas. Glad to see that there ended up being some balance by getting a win for the Germans. Of course, perhaps your leadership skill may have had a big part in that

Some of the guys in my game group are going to be playing D-Day Landings tomorrow night. Of course it has to be a rare Monday night that I'm not going to be there

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Let's see.... I brought La Citta, Buy Low Sell High, Venture Forth, Time Pirates, Sunken City, Tower of Babel, China, Feudo, Fits, and Quo Vadis?

I came home with some stuff I want to try out: Hobbit Tales, World Conquerors, Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords, and Earth Reborn.

I also came home with some stuff that's going on the sell/trade pile: Carnival, Eaten by Zombies, Last Night on Earth, Livingstone, Settles of Catan Historical Scenarios: Cheops and Alexander, and Star Fleet Battles.

A lot that I'm not familiar with Q.

Though I do have Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords (been awhile since playing though), and I had Earth Reborn but sold it. I liked Earth Reborn, as it had a bunch of neat ideas and things going on. But it takes a bit of setup and then my nephew that I had played it with a few times got too busy with school/work and now college, that I decided to sell it to get funds for other stuff.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old June 8th, 2015, 12:24 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post

Sorry that I couldn't make it into NYC to join you or to just observe the action for a while. Besides your masterful strategic coaching of the German players, how did the Nazis manage to pull off a win this time? I'd like to hear more about the tactics employed and which beachheads succeeded and which ones stalled- that allowed SS Panzer Div's to arrive as reinforcements.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old June 8th, 2015, 12:26 AM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post

Is that Pathfinder the Card Game or the Roleplaying game?

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old June 8th, 2015, 12:55 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

It's the card game. 1st printing and looks like there's quite a bit of errata.

I did pick up a roleplaying game though. A pretty obscure one called Battle Dragons where you get to design your own dragon character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old June 8th, 2015, 09:27 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

JohnGee,

Since you asked about the M44DDL game, the answer is a combination of things that happened in a fortuitously order. We Germans were leading the whole time. I didn't inspire anyone else much, as in this game there isn't as much interaction between players as you'd think; I mostly clarified basic and expansion rules. And since I was defending Utah Beach, I sure wasn't aware of what was going on at the British beaches! I was playing against a pal from Long Island who was a newbie, so I spent a lot of time helping him through some rules. I did start out with an artillery shoot card, which let me big and regular artillery fire twice, and got great die rolls to start off with, so he had to come back from that!

The Americans did well on their Airborne map. On Utah, I didn't get the cards I needed and my tank counter was stalled for quite a while but finally got rolling. I did knock out all the Rangers at Pointe du Hoc.

Meanwhile on Omaha, the US couldn't move ahead. My German counterpart there got lots of flags, and was able to reinforce his beach defense line, so it never fell. Elsewhere, while we moved ahead on points in general, we also took back beach control here and there, except for Sword beach. Juno apparently saw the biggest turn around, according to after action comments. The Allies did well on both airborne beaches--Taeblewalker himself was the Brits on Sword at my recommendation. Since he's a very aggressive player, I had him play US on American Airborne back at my house one time, and he did well there too. This time he faced the event runner, who being a transplanted Scot, had even placed a piper figures with the Brits as last year.

On my board the US had linked up across the causeways after knocking out my garrison units, and the paratroops were reinforcing Utah, rather than the other way around! I got to attack them finally, but didn't do as well with the dice as I'd have liked. Then I played the sandbag card I'd been holding since Turn One all across the front, and they weren't going anywhere! This included on an infantry unit my partner on the airborne map sent to be over the map boundary from his area.

The Germans have only one once or twice in all the one and three map games I've played or solitaired at home. I was even suggesting to our chief that we implement the simple "fix" rules many seem to be using on board game geek: give the US only one point for Beach Control, and let reinforcement table stars rolled optionally count as flags as desired for both sides. But we played it straight, and that's why I was so surprised that we won.
Old June 8th, 2015, 01:35 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I haven't posted here in awhile because things had been so busy with work and kids and life that last week was the first real opportunity to play any games since Tabletop Day in April.

However, last Tuesday,I was able to attend game night at a local comic store, I arrived late, so I paired up with one of the guys that wasn't playing a game. He wanted to teach Android: Netrunner with some decks he had prebuilt, so I played three games with him. I really enjoyed the games, and I actually have the core set and the first two expansion cycles, but I never had anyone to play with. If there were more opportunities nearby, I could definitely see playing this more.

We also played a game of Pixel Tactics, followed by several rounds of Bang: the Dice Game. It was nice to get some games in again.

Over the week-end, I was able to play even more stuff. My son and I played our first game of Specter Ops, which was a blast. I look forward to playing that more. Then the whole family played some light games, including Sushi Go (X 3), Dead Man's Draw, and Chopstick Dexterity Mega Challenge 3000. They were lots of fun, but Sushi Go was the favorite. I'm hoping the summer will open up a little more free time for gaming.
Old June 8th, 2015, 02:18 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
I haven't posted here in awhile because things had been so busy with work and kids and life that last week was the first real opportunity to play any games since Tabletop Day in April.

However, last Tuesday,I was able to attend game night at a local comic store, I arrived late, so I paired up with one of the guys that wasn't playing a game. He wanted to teach Android: Netrunner with some decks he had prebuilt, so I played three games with him. I really enjoyed the games, and I actually have the core set and the first two expansion cycles, but I never had anyone to play with. If there were more opportunities nearby, I could definitely see playing this more.

We also played a game of Pixel Tactics, followed by several rounds of Bang: the Dice Game. It was nice to get some games in again.

Over the week-end, I was able to play even more stuff. My son and I played our first game of Specter Ops, which was a blast. I look forward to playing that more. Then the whole family played some light games, including Sushi Go (X 3), Dead Man's Draw, and Chopstick Dexterity Mega Challenge 3000. They were lots of fun, but Sushi Go was the favorite. I'm hoping the summer will open up a little more free time for gaming.
I'm always available.

We have been playing Force of Will TCG almost religiously, but I was able to talk the kids into Splendor and Sheriff of Nottingham yesterday.
Old June 8th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post

I'm always available.

We have been playing Force of Will TCG almost religiously, but I was able to talk the kids into Splendor and Sheriff of Nottingham yesterday.
Thanks.

These days, it's lack of time that is winning out over availability. With your place only an hour away, the start up of a twice-monthly game night at a local comic shop, and biweekly Dice Master tourneys at another nearby shop, I now have more opportunities than ever to play. I just don't have any time. Woe is me.

But that hasn't stopped me from continuing to buy games.
Old June 8th, 2015, 06:28 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Now that's the spirit!

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games