Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old March 1st, 2010, 01:31 PM

Skeletor knows what's in an order marker Skeletor knows what's in an order marker Skeletor knows what's in an order marker
Good Demo Armies to hook new players

Do you guys have any thoughts on what would be good armies to have in que ready to go to teach someone a quick game of Scape?

I typically always have a board set up and people naturally ask. Whats this??

I say it a game and talk about it but it never is really "Set up" and ready to go since all my armies are organized and put away.

If I where to have 2 armies ready to go in case some one is interested in a demo match who would you pick?

I want to keep the armies basic yet still show the dynamics of the abilities.

I was thinking Romans and Marcus for a small army or maybe a Hero Marro plus a squad that works with them?

I think no more then 200pt armies and a couple of rounds should give a person the feel of scape.

What quick armies have you guys used to hook new players?
Old March 1st, 2010, 01:43 PM

Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Good Demo Armies to hook new players

hmmm. well let me think of something. You don't want to give people who are new something that is very intricate otherwise they start to complain, "It's to confusing!" and don't want to play anymore.
I like the Knights of Weston and perhaps toss in Either Concan, or Sir Denrick as their hero. An opposing army could be Grok Riders and Me-Burq-sa. heck if you really wanted to, you can pit Templar knights and Sir Dupuis vs Grok Riders and Me-Burq-sa. Nothing like mounted combat. lol

(I'm rushing to post this before I have to leave and go to class so It's not perfect but these armies are simple, and work together well.
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:48 PM

land.scape is surprisingly tart

I'd say go to 300 pt armies so you can show some range. For a start, I'd have a dragon because everyone loves a huge, eye-catching monster! Maybe some samurai and Raelin to help him? Then to oppose, Sir Denrick and knights, plus protectors and Marcu. Winged warriors look cool too, and anything knights is gonna go over well.

Good trades: Just_A_Bill x3, Gypsy x2, Django, outforblood, eternaldream, Gromazeka, Sup3rS0n1c, jordy40 x2, BobofDeath's Dad, CheddarLimbo, delphic, Jesusfreak13, Tysac, GeneralRolando, Frylock.
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:25 PM

LMB knows what's in an order marker LMB knows what's in an order marker

I agree that each army should have at least one, large, eye-catching unit. I would also suggest limiting the armies to what can be built from the 2 original master sets. I think many newbies would be disappointed to get hooked on a game only to find out the figs they first used are very difficult to purchase.

My custom Terrain and Units.

My HS pics
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:32 PM

dart48 knows what's in an order marker dart48 knows what's in an order marker

I didn't think of that LMB. Very good idea. +rep.

Keep your hints rational!
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:45 PM

Chardris is surprisingly tart

As above posters have said, large, eye-catching units and using pieces only from the original master sets is a good idea. Also, make sure both armies have simple powers so everything is easy to remember.
Sample 200 pt. armies

DW9000 and Izumi (They guard, he shoots)

Ne-gok-sa, Tarn Vikings, and marro warriors (Vikings hold someone down while Ne-gok-sa mindshackles or marro warriors shoot)

Krav maga, Agent Carr (Agents shoot, when enemies come close, Carr cuts cavalierly)

Tarn vikings or Marro warriors, Mimring (Vikings hold down units while Mimring fires away)

Raelin, marro warriors, zettian guards (Ranged units mow down opposition while Raelin protects)
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:53 PM

Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker

Oh, might I suggest playing a basic game? I was thinking all of this time about playing the advanced game, because that's all that I play. Basic is so boring, but to someone who is new; it might not be half bad. They won't have to worry about remembering what how all of the abilities work.

Last edited by Chardris1287; March 1st, 2010 at 07:56 PM. Reason: bad grammer
Old March 1st, 2010, 08:19 PM

adbirk19 is surprisingly tart

i agree but i would make yours not the best. it can be thinking your good that makes you addicted. a good way to start to like something (like heroscape).

stingers>everything else

Last edited by adbirk19; March 1st, 2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old March 1st, 2010, 08:27 PM

ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker

I prefer to use the draft with players I am introducing. It shows off one of the cool things of 'Scape, variety. Do I want Samurai or Elves, Robots or Knights, Aliens or Agents? The one imporant thing with this that if you have a massive stack of cards you don't hand them all of it, just use a sampling.

The one drawback is time crunch and some people will insist of reading every card even though they know not what it means. That's when demo armies are a good idea.

I'd use builds with cores like...
Marcus, Legos, Ne-Gok-Sa
Grimnak, Blade Gruts, Tornak
DW9K, Zettians, Warden
Tarn, Finn, Thorgrim
Old March 1st, 2010, 08:28 PM

chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness

you need to capture the essence of HEROscpae. Do this a small boards that can sport basic gameplay and advanced. Then you can use these armies in either version. For advanced it would be 400 points.

A1 Evil/Cool Army of Swarming
SBN 160
Stingers x2 280
Dividers x2 380
Grubs x2 440
Isamu 450

A1 Good/Hero Epic Army
Raelin 80
Sgt Drake ROTV 190
Syvaris 290
KOW x2 430
Marcu 450

Record Count Since First Tourney
Wins 45 Losses 52
Old March 1st, 2010, 09:01 PM
Looking for a ka-tet

Sonlen4MVP is surprisingly tart

I would suggest just sticking with heroes for the most part. The main reason being I have found teaching someone to play the game can be confusing with squads in the fact that when the card is activated you have to move with 3 or 4 squad members and then attack with the 3 or 4 you moved. It can also be confusing about only attacking with the 3 or 4 that you activated if you have more than one set of the same squad like the Knights of Weston. It is easy to take for granted after thousands of games how many illegal moves I made just starting out.
Personally, I would just go with the good guys vs. the bad guys theme. This would appeal to all newcomers.

Team 1
Drake, Raelin, Thorgrim, Syvarris

Team 2
Ne-Gok-Sa, Mimring, DW 9000

This takes from the idea of an earlier post of using the original master set to show the newcomer how fun the game can be just getting started out .

Great Trades : EyeOfSauron, Ryougabot, Draconious x 2, Daddyscaper, Wytefang, Huggable Zombie, Comicgash, jordy40, thestaton, SuperflyTNT and Unicornbrownies.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 04:37 PM

DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonlen4MVP View Post
I would suggest just sticking with heroes for the most part.
Adding a Unique squad would not hurt. But I would leave out Commons.
Imagine playing the game for the first time and getting hooked. Then you are told: "Oh but you have not seen everything yet - You can field multiple Common Squads, there are bonding between a lot of units, and look at all this scenery we left out...".
If a person finds the game entertaining, all those other options should appeal to his/her imagination and seal the deal.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles