Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old March 21st, 2009, 11:38 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Castle assault strategy that works well

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
The elf wizard posse "works" if you just throw Theracus in there to get you up the wall. The base would be:

40 Theracus
50 Arkmer
80 Emirroon
20 Kyntela Gwyn
150 Ulginesh

Then you could add either more wizards (Jorhdawn/Chardris/Morsbane), and/or Syvarris, or squads of Aubrien Archers, or Raelin.
While I came around to dissing the wizard army along with the Saylind build, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the possibility of using the wizards for a Yo-Yo attack. It's not what the original poster was talking about, but it is an effective way to draw out a castle defender. This speaks to the broader point that a castle defender can't afford to be out-ranged.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:37 AM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!

I suppose if I had to attack the castle and the only resources at my command were my Ullar/Aquilla bucket and Waster Moo and the Monks were busy meditating then we'd be looking better. As is, I think it leans way to heavily on the D20 to have much of a fighting chance.

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old March 22nd, 2009, 11:30 AM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMoochie View Post
I suppose if I had to attack the castle and the only resources at my command were my Ullar/Aquilla bucket and Waster Moo and the Monks were busy meditating then we'd be looking better. As is, I think it leans way to heavily on the D20 to have much of a fighting chance.
I disagree; the wizards only depend on the d20 to the degree that you use Morsbane or leave Emirroon out to dry. The core of that army is Ulginesh activating Chardris/Jorhdawn/Arkmer, and that doesn't require any use of the d20. The real weakness of the elf wizards is low defense.

That said, there's some evidence that while the wizards are not the strongest army ever, they can be very effective in the right hands.

I think a pure castle assault is one situation where the wizard posse shines, and can work. The YoYo attack allows extended range and renders the castle advantage more or less moot.

Let's say we play the two-player siege scenario from FotA, with their suggested 3:2 attacker:defender point ratio. Say the attackers get 675, and take all the wizards except Acolarh, plus Raelin. What are you taking at 450 to beat that? If you go ranged and sit on the wall, I'll yo-yo attack and whittle you down to nothing. You have to come to me.

(I suggest Knights or Stingers, but with that point spread, there's no guarantee you can pull it off.)
Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:07 PM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
You have to come to me.
But in the FOA scenario it's actually the other way around. The defender is fully within his/her rights to wait for you to storm the castle. This is not an indictment of the Yo-Yo strategy except as it pertains to a strict "storm the castle" scenario. The wizards just haven't got the oomph to really storm the castle since only one of them flies and they'll never break the door down. Only a knucklehead will sit on the wall waiting for his guys to die one by one when they can't return fire.

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:23 PM

Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby!

The best castle assault strategy is to be annoying with Zetacron and Syvaris until those on the wall are dead.

Elf_Archer is the Sacred Band...
in the GARNET CAVE...
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You have to come to me.
But in the FOA scenario it's actually the other way around. The defender is fully within his/her rights to wait for you to storm the castle. This is not an indictment of the Yo-Yo strategy except as it pertains to a strict "storm the castle" scenario. The wizards just haven't got the oomph to really storm the castle since only one of them flies and they'll never break the door down.
Why not? Even if we assume that I have to yo-yo to avoid figures jumping up on the wall to return fire, I can still hit it with Chardris's fire strike each turn. As that's a special attack, the door doesn't get it's "tough" enhancement. On average, I'll destroy the door in 7.5 turns, i.e. two and a half rounds.

Quote:
Only a knucklehead will sit on the wall waiting for his guys to die one by one when they can't return fire.
True, which is why the elves can use their extended range to draw figures out of the castle and force a flat ground fight. You could stash some figures on ladders or other inaccesible places, but only some, so the others would be vulnerable to a yo-yo attack, at least after the door was broklen. So the castle becomes less relevant.
Old March 24th, 2009, 05:40 PM

kpotassiumk19 is surprisingly tart

Here is a ground assault:
Knock the door down with Krug and send in high move, high defense figures (Izumis are probably the best), and tie up the range. Then rain down on the range figures from afar with multiple attacks of course. Then fly up with a powerful figure such as Nilf. Fill up the rest of he army with squads to anyone who tries to escape or sabotage your plans. I've never tried this because I don't play on castle maps often so I'm not sure it will work. Tell me any changes you might have.

If your opponent is 4th Mass happy, then send up Cyprien with Sonya on support. It is wise to go OM happy with him because otherwise he will die. 3 attack against 2 def and a d20 roll that only needs 11 can kill 2 figs a turn pretty easily and his 4 def 6 life and life drain will hold up for awhile. But then again, when doesn't Cyprien dominate?

"The greatest advice ever given to me was don't be an idiot. Before I do anything, I always think, would an idiot do this? If they would, I don't do it."

~Dwight, The Office
Old April 18th, 2009, 01:53 PM

PTHoorah Woo who?

Just started playing on the castle maps... what's the best way to knock down the door. Fliers to get inside is fun, but the knocking the door down and sending in attackers seems so much cooler.
Old April 18th, 2009, 05:47 PM

Darkness1717 is surprisingly tart

I'd keep everything the same except VW and Theracus. Ditch them and get DeD and Syvarris. Use them to pick off people on the wall.
Old April 19th, 2009, 01:37 AM

4winds Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTHoorah View Post
Just started playing on the castle maps... what's the best way to knock down the door. Fliers to get inside is fun, but the knocking the door down and sending in attackers seems so much cooler.
I use DW7 to self-destruct I have pretty good rolls with the d20. Then I use DW8 rapid fire to finish off the door
Old April 20th, 2009, 08:23 PM

Zhoom45 Woo who?

Brunak/Theracus+DW7K=door gone.
KMA and Nakitas run in and snipe guys off the walls from the inside, while protected by stealth dodge and smoke powder. The smoke power can also let you run in DED to snipe or Syvarris just to go crazy.
Saylind brings in Jotun, TKN, or some other tank.
castle=stormed
Alternate strategy, Saylind brings in Emiroon, and he takes in your whole elf army.
AE never hurt.

Zhoom45 is every character in his own little world which no one has heard of, or wants to enter for that matter.
Old April 25th, 2009, 09:29 AM

Ullar/utgar own is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief View Post
Hey everyone heres my on a castle assault strategy. Just to let you know right off the bat that this has always really worked for me. First off you have to have the right team. So ill list a good 500 and a 600 since thats what we usually battle around. From there add what else you want after you have finished reading. Any units with a * you have to have for this strategy to work.

500 army
Theracus* 50
Saylind* 80
Major Q9* 180
Venoc Warlord 120
any filler

600 army
Theracus* 50
Saylind* 80
Mimring* 150
Venoc warlord* 120
Major Q9* 180
any filler

Alright now lets get down to it heres the basic setup I suggest to have you're figures in. At the front put Theracus and Saylind together. Major 9 right behind then Venoc in the back. IF you have mimring put him to the left of Theracus right in front of Q. Alright now when the game starts off you want to follow these instructions.
1 send Theracus out as fast as possible to the castle and keep him behind cover. Do this as much as you need while carrying Saylind. Then in one round send him in let Saylind try to summon up Q9 onto an available High ground spot. If it fails be ready to have Theracus pull out one full move. Then on you're next round strike let saylind try to summon again then pull out.

2 now these are the possible scenarios that you're in.
1 no one is summoned and the two are hiding.
2 no one is summoned and they are killed.
3 someone is summoned and you are hiding
4 someone is summoned and the strikers are dead
5 two biggies in a 600 point army is summoned and you're hiding
6 two biggies are summoned and you're strikers are dead.

If you're in 4,or 6 you're ok just do what damage you can hold the door and start bringing in other guys. Then just fight.

If you're in 1 keep striking and trying to summon until you're in 2,3,or 4 and then follow that advice.

If you're in 3 then you're gold. Just follow the advice of the 4,and 6 also
using the strikers to summon others into the castle and support you're biggie.

If you're in 2 you're screwed and should just do what you can on you're own

if you're in 5 you're really good and follow the advice of condition 3.

Now make sure if you do summon in you're first run or so that you are calling in Q and/or Mimring. This is the whole point of the strategy. Rush you're fast guys call in you're best by saylind and start pounding them in there own castle. This easily gets you 3 figures in there defense and you can immediately give them death while you call in more attackers and move in you're other guys. This gives an over all good match that you're opponent cant easily counter due to the speed and sheer force in it. If executed right and a little luck this strategy should let you get a good advantage and win the game. Its never failed for me.

Well anyway let me know what you think guys advice is always great.

Chief
imho i do not think that this would work.if someone did this to me i would take out saylind asap.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles