Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Notices

View Poll Results: What Video Game System Is The Best?
Microsoft Xbox 360 28 30.11%
Playstation Move 1 1.08%
Playsation 3 18 19.35%
Playstaion Portable (PSP) 0 0%
Nintendo Wii 23 24.73%
Nintendo DS/DSi 8 8.60%
Other (older gaming systems like Gameboy, Playstation 2, SEGA systems, etc.) 35 37.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 11th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: What Is The Best Video Game System? (Poll)

I'm pretty sure FF 11 wasn't on the SNES, since it couldn't go online

Even 9 wasn't on the SNES - Do you mean FF IV? Because that's still my favorite (sorry but the bad acting, storyline, dialog just didn't impress me for 7) or did you mean VI?

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old November 11th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Nostradumbass

DrAwsm is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post

Even 9 wasn't on the SNES - Do you mean FF IV? Because that's still my favorite (sorry but the bad acting, storyline, dialog just didn't impress me for 7) or did you mean VI?
Woops, I'm getting my Roman numerals mixed up. I meant Final Fantasy VI. Thanks for correcting me before I plagued the world with incorrect Roman numerals!
Old November 11th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwsm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post

Woops, I'm getting my Roman numerals mixed up. I meant Final Fantasy VI. Thanks for correcting me before I plagued the world with incorrect Roman numerals!
No problem, I figured that. If you haven't played FF4 yet and have a DS, I highly recommend it. Awesome music and epic storyline!

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old November 11th, 2010, 01:17 PM

Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby!

360-Not bad, but nowhere near worth the hype.
Move-Ripoff of a pretty average system. Fails.
PS3-Like a 360 with less multiplayer.
PSP-Cool, but generic.
Wii-Cool concept, but again not worth the hype.
DS-Cool concept with good applications. Fairly good, b ut the games could be better IMO.
DSi- The single most fail-riffic thing in this poll. Not worth it's price unless you don't own any other handheld system.

Best system: NES. It simply has the best games.

Spoiler Alert!
...In the Dream Cave...
Old November 11th, 2010, 02:15 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwsm View Post
SNES, hands down. That console had so many great RPGs and platformers on it. Final Fantasy XI and Super Mario Bros. World will always hold a special place in my heart.

Earthbound. One of the greatest RPG's ever made.

Well, Mother 3 was probably a bit better, but that was GBA.
Old November 11th, 2010, 02:23 PM

Heroscaper62 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Cat View Post
360-Not bad, but nowhere near worth the hype.
Move-Ripoff of a pretty average system. Fails.
PS3-Like a 360 with less multiplayer.
PSP-Cool, but generic.
Wii-Cool concept, but again not worth the hype.
DS-Cool concept with good applications. Fairly good, b ut the games could be better IMO.
DSi- The single most fail-riffic thing in this poll. Not worth it's price unless you don't own any other handheld system.

Best system: NES. It simply has the best games.
I personally perfer the SNES over the NES. It had some of the greatest games ever, like, Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, and Donkey Kong Country. Obviously most of us here perfer the older gaming systems over the newer ones.
Old November 11th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Dr Feelgood

See, I don't once you take nostalga out of the picture.

I'd take a 3t60/pS3 over a NES. Why? Because just like nowadays, the bulk of the games were just variations on a same theme.

Simplistic Story JRPG with tons of grinding? Check
1-4 player beat em up? Check
Platformer that plainly wishes it was Mario or Metriod? Check

Now, to be certain, there were amazing games that created new genre's but most of them aren't that interesting if you picked it up today (though there are notable exceptions - Metroid is still a pinnacle of platforming).

Now, best gaming system of ALL time? Easily either NES (for bringing consoles back after the Atari debacles) or the SNES for most overall new innovative games or the PS2 for simply invading almost every home in the world and showing people what a true home entertainment console could be.

Then for the portables, Gameboy for being the first mass appeal portable gaming system and the DS as well.

Slighted as always but for leading the way constantly is the PC, which innovated almost everything except JRPG's and platformers - doing everything long before the consoles ever could pull it off.

They all have their strengths though and we all have special things in our heart (I remember opening the NES for Christmas and pulling out that beautiful Gold Legend of Zelda cartridge out, all shiny ) Ahhh...memories.

Old November 11th, 2010, 05:12 PM

Wonderball68 knows what's in an order marker Wonderball68 knows what's in an order marker Wonderball68 knows what's in an order marker

@jschild We... AGREE on something?

The only thing I would add is that yes, I'm sure the PC innovated plenty of things (such as online multiplayer) but it can never innovate controls like the Wii and DS did, simply because it isn't soley for gaming.

Personally I voted for the Wii. Revolutionary titles such as Super Mario Galaxy and Metriod Prime 3 are too much to pass up for me.
Old November 11th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Dr Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderball68 View Post
@jschild We... AGREE on something?

The only thing I would add is that yes, I'm sure the PC innovated plenty of things (such as online multiplayer) but it can never innovate controls like the Wii and DS did, simply because it isn't soley for gaming.

Personally I voted for the Wii. Revolutionary titles such as Super Mario Galaxy and Metriod Prime 3 are too much to pass up for me.
What is revolutionary about Metroid Prime other than the Wii controls?

Same with SMG? It's an amazing evolutionary game - but nothing truly original (not that that is bad, almost all games are evolutionary than revolutionary now). I personally have found the vast majority of Wii games would be better served with a real controller than Wiimote.

That said, it's motion controls were revolutionary and games that truly take advantage of it properly are fantastic.

Old November 11th, 2010, 05:57 PM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

One thing that really blows my mind here is the lack of love for the N64. I realize the system was pretty short lived (and not greatly supported by 3rd party developers), but c'mon, the N64 was the console that brought the FPS to non-PC gamers.

Surely me and mine weren't the only guys sitting around having a 4-player split-screen deathmatch on a 13" TV.

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!
Old November 11th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Dr Feelgood

That was the system with the torture controller right? :P

Actually it was the first console to really get a shooter right. Then Halo came next, being the first console game to get online shooters right.

Old November 11th, 2010, 06:16 PM

Wonderball68 knows what's in an order marker Wonderball68 knows what's in an order marker Wonderball68 knows what's in an order marker

@jschild I guess evolutionary is a better term. Prime 3's controls are in my opinion far superior than dual analog sticks and even a little better than a keyboard/mouse combo. Super Mario Galaxy kept the platforming genre alive with its amazing gravity effects. I disagree that it isn't original, there isn't any other game like it. (Unless you count Mario 64, but it completely lacks the gravity effects that made SMG so great)

As for Wii games being better without motion controls, well that's kind of true. There a lots of poorly made games (more so than the other consoles) for the system and I am totally aware of that they exist. However like you said the games that truly take advantage of the motion controls are fantastic. Those games are the reason I prefer Wii.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games