Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs
HoME Customs A place for Heroes of Middle Earth Customs

Old October 14th, 2021, 07:32 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Aragorn - Rough Draft

ARAGORN Rough Draft 1.2

NAME = ARAGORN

GENERAL = JANDAR
SPECIES = HUMAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = RANGER
PERSONALITY = VALIANT
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/5

LIFE = 6
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 6
ATTACK = 3
DEFENSE = 4
POINTS = 140

UNYIELDING
If Aragorn begins his turn unengaged, add 2 to his Move value this turn. If Aragorn begins his turn engaged, he may attack one additional time this turn.

ANDÚRIL, FLAME OF THE WEST
Aragorn adds 2 to his attack dice when attacking an adjacent figure.

HANDS OF HEALING
After moving and before attacking, you may choose a wounded figure adjacent to Aragorn and roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an 11 or higher, remove one wound marker from the chosen figure.

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Last edited by TheAverageFan; October 18th, 2021 at 09:20 PM.
Old October 14th, 2021, 07:32 PM

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Aragorn - Rough Draft

[reserved]

~TAF

Old October 14th, 2021, 07:45 PM

Design Thoughts:
Aragorn is a classic fantasy ranger, possibly the one who defined fantasy rangers, and as such I designed him to be highly versatile. I'm not certain if HoME's plan is to have a single design for each figure for the entirety of the trilogy or to have different ones for different phases. If it is the former then the design may have to be overhauled to account for Aragorn the King rather than Strider the Ranger.

Tracking is an obvious choice, though Aragorn could simply be given a high default Move value if it needs to be lost in favor of another power. Unlike in the movies Aragorn gains Narsil very early on, so it seemed appropriate as a power to boost adjacent attacks. Lastly some form of healing power seemed like a good idea, as it is one of Aragorn's skills as a Ranger as well as a sign to the people of Middle Earth that he is the rightful king of Gondor and Arnor. At present it is mostly similar to Rhogar's Lay On Hands.

For the stats 6 Life is average for strong heroes, 5 Move works with Tracking, 6 Range and 3 Attack for his bow (boosted to 5 with Andrúril), and 4 Defense which is also average for heroes of his kind. 140 Points, similar to Eltahale, seemed appropriate.

Ranger could be traded for King, Adventurer, or Champion for KoW bonding. Valiant could be traded for Resolute.

Other Power Ideas:
Some Form of Double Attack: If one attack a turn is too few for such a hero.
Fellowship or Three Hunter Bonding: Likely OM-revealed Movement Bonding for easier use of either adventuring party.
Bow Special Attack: Trade the current Range/Attack for Range 1/Attack5-6 and give Aragorn a Ranged SA.
Healing Hands Mark II: Better healing with an Instead Of Attacking clause? This may be more appropriate.
Tracking: Obvious power for a Ranger or Hunter

Let the workshopping begin!

~TAF

Last edited by TheAverageFan; October 15th, 2021 at 04:53 PM.
Old October 14th, 2021, 11:15 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Here are my thoughts on this one: Tracking is a bit constrictive, although I like the direction. The addition to attack dice for melee is good, the Healing hands, I'm lost on. Its been quite a few years reading the books but don't remember him healing anyone? The double attack on the other two of three heroes helps represent them being able to take on squads. What if you combined the tracking in with a multi attack option. For example: If Aragorn starts his turn engaged, he may attack one additional time, If he starts his turn unengaged, he may add X to his move number? Keep the extra melee attack dice, and I'm not sure what to tell you about the healing power. I thought that was an Arwen thing? Pennies away!

EDIT: My biggest love of custom characters following pre existing stories and plots is if they nail the theme of the character.

EDIT 2: Also, With the above suggestion for a double attack, if Aragorn is only engaged to one opponent he dispatches, he is still able to use the lesser ranged shot to pop off another ranged opponent. Seems Very thematic.
Old October 15th, 2021, 12:12 AM

I very much like your idea for a double-attack version of Indomitable for Aragorn.

Healing is definitely a thing in the Return of the King book which Aragorn used to great effect after the battle for Gondor. But whether or not it deserves a power on the Army Card is up to debate.

~TAF, will update accordingly

Old October 18th, 2021, 07:51 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think that it comes up enough, even as Ranger Aragorn, that it could definitely have a place. This looks a lot like Aragorn earlier in his career and I think the idea was that we could do a second version for some of the characters that had diverse identities. Aragorn falls into that for me.

Part of me wants to see the healing at a higher roll but that's something that can be sorted out when he is placed on the board. He has some Sonlen vibes but communicates ranger really well for me.
Old October 19th, 2021, 09:59 AM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Some initial thoughts:

- I like the current direction of this card a lot.
- I would re-name the Anduril power to "+2 Broadsword" (it's the same power Tandros Kreel has) - whenever we can re-use a power name, I think it's good to do so because it makes HoME fit better with classic 'scape
- Do we still want to have 2 different versions of certain figures? Aragorn was one of those we had originally pegged to get 2 cards (i.e. Drake I & Drake II). This current card certainly seems to be a one-size-fits-all (ranger + King of Minas Tirith), so it would likely change considerably if the plan was to have 2 versions.
Old October 19th, 2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Perkins
Some initial thoughts:

- I like the current direction of this card a lot.
- I would re-name the Anduril power to "+2 Broadsword" (it's the same power Tandros Kreel has) - whenever we can re-use a power name, I think it's good to do so because it makes HoME fit better with classic 'scape
I assumed it could fit under a unique name for card identity the way Sword of Reckoning does for Carr since Aragorn is a character with a unique weapon (if his sword gave him +4 dice instead of +2 I wouldn't want to use Sword of Reckoning as the power name for example). In that same line of thinking "+2 Broadsword" is definitely a D&D-style name with the +2 in front as opposed to the usual Scape wording. It's meaning to say that Tandros has a +2 Broadsword magic weapon from D&D.

That being said I'm fine with switching it if it's a point of contention for others here. Hell, my own thread's version of Aragorn has the +2 Broadsword power. Just thought I'd squeeze a reference to Andruil in there somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Perkins
- Do we still want to have 2 different versions of certain figures? Aragorn was one of those we had originally pegged to get 2 cards (i.e. Drake I & Drake II). This current card certainly seems to be a one-size-fits-all (ranger + King of Minas Tirith), so it would likely change considerably if the plan was to have 2 versions.
I designed this under a one-size fits all assumption. If we're gonna have multiples for different sets though we should definitely decide in advance as well as which characters are included in that and which aren't.

Lastly does anyone have any contentions about Unyielding's power name? I thought of it on the fly without much thought so if anyone has a better idea for the name of said power I'm all ears.

~TAF

Old October 19th, 2021, 01:22 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
If we're gonna have multiples for different sets though we should definitely decide in advance as well as which characters are included in that and which aren't.
We did actually have a pretty detailed release schedule (which included Aragorn, Gimli, & Legolas as the only 2-version cards). The thread's a bit buried so you may have missed it, but it's located here:
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=57358

That being said, I was probably the least enthusiastic member at that time about having 2 versions of any cards (I was pretty insistent that we cap it at 5 max, if any), so I'm not opposed to revisiting the inclusion of 2-version figures. But in general I do think that release schedule is set up quite nicely (albeit admitting that I'm bias since I'm the one who put most of it together).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Lastly does anyone have any contentions about Unyielding's power name? I thought of it on the fly without much thought so if anyone has a better idea for the name of said power I'm all ears.
Strategic Tracking? The tracking part is obvious and I stole the 'strategic' part from the axegrinder's conditional bonding power.
Old October 19th, 2021, 04:35 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I mean, can we post a vote about that in out general thread or just respond with thumbs up or down? We arent locked into making 2 versions of a figure and I think it stemmed from the idea that we wouldnt be able to completely nail a mixed identity like this.

I'd vote for singular figures to avoid fatigue.

I dont mind Strategic Tracking for a name but I feel like Unyielding is a pretty good descriptor for Aragorn. Neutral but lean towards unyielding. Same assessment for Anduril, I like the descriptor it brings and would compare it to Agent Carr, +2 Broadsword to me is just the name of Tandros' equipment. Also, I am pretty sure that Anduril is not a broadsword from most depictions because Tolkien was very specific about its categorization as a Longsword.
Old November 3rd, 2021, 03:26 AM

ARAGORN BATTLE REPORT

Spoiler Alert!

OVERALL THOUGHTS: Aragorn has strong stats for his price: above-average Life, good Move, decent Range, good Attack, and above-average Defense; and two attacks when engaged. Still he struggled to find a place in the four games I played. He was able to kill some squaddies here and there, and move fast enough to grab glyphs, but his armies overall either lost or won by the grace of Cyprien or Q9 respectively.

He’s not bad—oftentimes his early deaths were merely a result of bad dice—I simply couldn’t find a role for him in my armies. His Healing Hands didn’t find much use (he’s often too fast to end up alongside other allies), and while two attacks of 5 is very powerful he never seemed to be able to defeat the squads he faced. He did do well against the high-life, low-defense Ogre Warhulk, where his high attack could build up some wounds fast.

Aragorn performed badly; he is not bad. I blame myself, not knowing where to place him at present. Where his place in an army should be. Perhaps someone else can find his place, or maybe further playtesting can prove his potential.

~TAF

Old December 9th, 2021, 12:00 PM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Are you going to do a 2nd version of Aragorn as King? Because if there's only 1 Aragorn imo he should be a champion not a ranger... but I'm not sure.

I think a figure like this works much better with some sort of bonding. You could make it such that after using Aragorn you may use 1 Elf or 1 Dwarf hero you control - with some sort of restriction in place like "if you use this ability, the ONLY figures you may use this turn are Aragorn and the hero chosen for this power" to prevent him stacking with Ulginesh

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs