Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

View Poll Results: Do you think my custom abilities are:
a) Clever and unique 0 0%
b) Way over the top 0 0%
c) Too confusing 0 0%
d) Fine as they are 0 0%
e) Good but need a tweak or two 1 50.00%
f) Crap 1 50.00%
g) Ok, but I'd never use them 0 0%
h) A waste of 5 minutes reading time 0 0%
i) Generally good, but I have some suggestions on how to improve them 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 11th, 2008, 04:23 AM

Rice_Merchant has disabled reputation
New Custom Abilities - first idea stage

Hello 'Scapers! Below is a list of ideas for Custom Abilities I've been toying with. Although none are actually customised into fully-fledged units yet, I hope with your thoughts and kind words to unleash a new set of custom units upon my foes very soon!

ANY and all thoughts (criticism or praise) would be most welcome! I must warn you I do have a way of getting too "creative" with my ideas though!

POWER PUNCH: If attacking figure causes a wound to an adjacent defending unit, the defending unit is knocked back 1 space in a direct line from the attack. Any units behind the defending figure are knocked back also.

SNEAKY GRAB: Special attack, Range 2 only, Attack 0. Attacking unit pulls defending unit into engagement with itself. All leaving engagement rules still apply.
(For use with a very low attack rated unit with high defence)

THE MOLE: Add 1 to (this unit)'s attack and defence when attacking or defending with a height disadvantage. (This unit) does not receive the attack and defence bonus for a height advantage.

TRAUMATIC EXPERIENCE: (for use with a unique squad of 4 units - starting attack and defence of 1, move of 5)If one of (This squad's units) dies, place a purple experience marker on this card. For every purple experience marker on this card, add 1 to (this squad)'s attack, defence and move.
(By the time you're down to 1 unit, it's got a move of 8 attack and defence of 4, but still only has 1 life)

FORGOTTEN WINGS: Before moviong, roll the d20 for Forgotten Wings. Roll 1-2, your turn is forfeited - you may neither move nor attack this turn. Roll 3-14, nothing happens and you move and attack as normal. Roll 15-20, you are successful and gain the ability to fly for this turn only. A successful Forgotten Wings roll may be performed once per round only.

CHAMELEONIC GUISE: (This unit) may use any ability (except the ability to fly) on the card of any unit within 3 clear LOS spaces. (This unit) may only use 1 ability per turn, but may use Chameleonic Guise when defending a normal attack from an adjacent attacking figure.

ALTERED REALITY: At the start of the game, (this unit) starts with 1 life, 0 move, 0 defence and 0 attack. Before play begins you must allocate 16 "points" in total to (this unit) for life, attack, defence and move. If (this unit) destroys any enemy, you may allocate an extra "point" to his life, attack, defence or move.

(Use these next 2 abilities together with a hero with 1(?) attack and 6(?) defence)
FORCED HAND: After moving and before attacking, (this unit) must invoke Forced Hand. All enemy units adjacent to (this unit) must attack (this unit) with a normal attack immediately. Roll defence dice separately for each attack.
REINFORCED BACKHAND: When defending any normal attack from an adjacent unit, you may roll FB dice. Any excess shields along with any FB symbols rolled count as unblockable hits on the attacking unit.

TREE SHIELD: (This unit) may not be the target of normal attacks from a non adjacent unit whilst adjacent to a tree.

GREEN THUMB: Whilst adjacent to a tree, roll the d20 dice twice, and add the total of the 2 rolls. Roll 2-32, nothing happens. Roll 33-38, you may remove the tree from the map permanently. Roll 39 or 40, you may remove the tree from it's current location and place it anywhere on the map. You may invoke Green Thumb before or after your move, but before your attack.

Well that's it so far. As I said, any comments would be most appreciated, and if any of you see something here you would like to use for your own customs or modify for your own customs, please feel free!

Happy 'Scaping!

Happening, my Demon??
Old January 11th, 2008, 02:41 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Versatility 1
After revealing an Order Marker on this Army Card, choose one of the following abilities, Move Range, Attack or Defense and add 1 to that ability. The ability stays adjusted until another Order Marker is revealed.
Old January 11th, 2008, 03:21 PM

STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker
Meteor Call

Only 1 time per game you may roll the d20 for this power. If you roll a 1-16 nothing happens. If you roll a 17 or higher choose any 1 figure on the battlefield. That figure and all figures within 8 spaces of it recieve 2 wounds.

My maps:

R.I.P. Ugly-Caco
Old January 11th, 2008, 07:24 PM

areo5000 has disabled reputation
i like the flying ability but it should have a higher succses rate
Old January 12th, 2008, 05:35 AM

areo5000 - I've taken your suggestion and have edited FORGOTTEN WINGS to have a higher chance of success. Thanks for your comment!

Happening, my Demon??
Old January 12th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: New Custom Abilities - first idea stage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice_Merchant
POWER PUNCH: If attacking figure causes a wound to an adjacent defending unit, the defending unit is knocked back 1 space in a direct line from the attack. Any units behind the defending figure are knocked back also.
Moving enemy figures is such a can of worms. What if the power-punched figure has his back to a triple-height castle wall? What if I punch a two-hex figure-- do I move both hexes or one? Does he take leaving engagement attacks?

Quote:
SNEAKY GRAB: Special attack, Range 2 only, Attack 0. Attacking unit pulls defending unit into engagement with itself. All leaving engagement rules still apply.
(For use with a very low attack rated unit with high defence)
A power that can force any size/class/race figure to take disengagement strikes against its will 100% of the time deserves a mammoth price tag. Striking with 3-6 undefended dice is incredible against many figures.

Quote:
TRAUMATIC EXPERIENCE: (for use with a unique squad of 4 units - starting attack and defence of 1, move of 5)If one of (This squad's units) dies, place a purple experience marker on this card. For every purple experience marker on this card, add 1 to (this squad)'s attack, defence and move.
(By the time you're down to 1 unit, it's got a move of 8 attack and defence of 4, but still only has 1 life)
The idea isn't bad; I don't know that it has to cover attack, defense, and move to get the job done, but I like it.

Quote:
FORGOTTEN WINGS: Before moviong, roll the d20 for Forgotten Wings. Roll 1-2, your turn is forfeited - you may neither move nor attack this turn. Roll 3-14, nothing happens and you move and attack as normal. Roll 15-20, you are successful and gain the ability to fly for this turn only. A successful Forgotten Wings roll may be performed once per round only.
Okay-- it's flying with a disadvantage so big it almost swallows the advantage. Not clear how this makes the figure more fun to play. There's no way to manipulate it in my favor-- it just randomly kills the engine on me every once in a while. Could it be made more controllable?

Quote:
CHAMELEONIC GUISE: (This unit) may use any ability (except the ability to fly) on the card of any unit within 3 clear LOS spaces. (This unit) may only use 1 ability per turn, but may use Chameleonic Guise when defending a normal attack from an adjacent attacking figure.
There are a lot of price issues with this-- like copying bonding, for instance. The value of this power just explodes with every attack/defense die and life point the chamelion has. The more life points, the better Rage Smash or Wounded Stomp gets. The more attack dice, the better Deadly Shot/Strike gets. The more defense dice, the better counterstrike gets... etc. Price control will be a problem.

I don't mean to discourage you, but it seems like you're venturing into some tough areas here. Moving the opponent's figures and copying powers are not easy. Good luck!
Old January 13th, 2008, 01:48 AM

Thanks for the feedback rdhight! You make some very valid points, and I must admit I hadn't noticed those quandries myself. So, in answer:

How's about Power Punch only affects single hex figures. No leaving engagement attacks are taken. And what about the castle wall scenario? What would happen to you if you got hit in the open? You'd stumble backwards. What if you were up against a wall? You wouldn't go backwards, but you might feel it a bit more. Hmmmm.... This might need some more thinking....

Sneaky Grab was kind of desaigned that way. I do understand the ramifications, but if the figure who has this ability has an attack of 1 with a defence of, say, 6, slow movement and life of only 3, would that balance it out? Oooooooo I just thought of something. Imagine a 2 hex figure surrounded by 7 Knights of Weston. 14 leaving engagement strikes. Ouch. Might have to re-think this as well....

Yeah I kinda like Traumatic Experience as well. Gives you a quandry of "do I kill that pesky little 1/1 unit that keeps jabbing me in the bum, risking a bigger pesky little 2/2 doing the same thing?" I think that has a scope for some good strategy...

With Forgotten Wings.... I suppose I could drop the "your turn is forfeited" clause. That would at the worst make you have to walk instead of fly. But I still wanted some kind of risk attached to it. The idea that you suddenly learn to fly.... Don't know about you but I'm not sure if I suddenly sprouted wings that I'd be able to soar like an eagle straight away. Maybe lose 1 move if you are successful in remembering your wings?

Chameleonic Guise needs some serious work to iron out the huge kinks. It may be too difficult, I grant you, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Thanks heaps for your thoughts, It's given me a good base to start improving them.

Happening, my Demon??

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards