Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction
Fan Art & Fiction Graphic & Literary works bound only by the imagination

Old January 29th, 2019, 12:03 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Post Horizon in Sight: Dan's Tale

Spoiler Alert!

Author's Note
Spoiler Alert!

Acknowledgments
Spoiler Alert!

Posting Note:
I will try to post daily. Do note that this is not the Quest. This is very much Dan's Tale, and has only the slightest resemblance to the Quest. Simply assume you are reading a new unconnected fan fiction (which for all purposes you are).
Bigga has once again been invaluable with his proofreading and editing. Late into the proofreading, we ran into a consistent flaw threaded throughout the fan fiction, and one I very much want to fix. Doing so, however, entails going through the entire story and meticulously rewriting a very large number of passages. That would take a long time, and I don't want to keep you waiting any longer. So here's my plan:
Part one is fine. Part one is eighteen chapters long, which gives me nearly three weeks. In those three weeks, I should be able to find all of the passages in question and revise them appropriately. However, if that does NOT happen, there WILL be a slight pause between parts one and two as I finish it up.
On that note, enjoy! Chapter one is below.

~TGRF.

EDIT: The fiction has been moved here, and all chapters past chapter three will be posted exclusively there. This is because posting lengthy chapters on HSers is difficult due to the way vb code works. I have to manually indent every paragraph (meaning put in a blank line - the indent buttons don't actually work), and all formatting (italics, bold, etc.) is erased when I copy the text over, so I have to meticulously track each of those down as well.

Because of this, I have decided to instead post this fiction on one of my websites, where I will have more control over the formatting. Don't worry, the website is owned by me for strictly testing purposes. No ads or background programs or anything like that.

Also, new readers should be aware that this fan fiction contains 'bonus material' in the form of one picture, one map, and one visual-dictionary-esque entry. All three can be found on the afore-mentioned website. Simply hover over 'Horizon in Sight' at the top, and the bonus material should be the first things listed. Do note that the bonus material is released during the fan fiction, and not all before. It might not all be there yet.

Enjoy!

Last edited by TGRF; June 22nd, 2020 at 06:10 PM.
Old January 29th, 2019, 12:11 PM

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Horizon in Sight: Dan's Tale

Part One
Chapter One - Ignorance

Spoiler Alert!

~TGRF.

Last edited by TGRF; January 29th, 2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old January 29th, 2019, 12:13 PM

@TheAverageFan @Tornado @William099 @Sylvano the Wasabus @hose

Dan's Tale is finally here!

~TGRF.
Old January 29th, 2019, 03:03 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Eeeeeeeeeeeee! More fan fiction!

Exceptional writing as always TGRF. Already a much different beginning to the original story, but just as intriguing a start. I chuckled finishing the chapter, scrolling back up, and seeing the chapter name again. Looks to be a promising start.

Only critique I have is a missed new paragraph about halfway through. You can see the indent in the middle where someone missed pressing Enter. Simple fix of course.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Last edited by TheAverageFan; January 29th, 2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old January 29th, 2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Eeeeeeeeeeeee! More fan fiction!

Exceptional writing as always TGRF. Already a much different beginning to the original story, but just as intriguing a start. I chuckled finishing the chapter, scrolling back up, and seeing the chapter name again. Looks to be a promising start.

Only critique I have is a missed new paragraph about halfway through. You can see the indent in the middle where someone missed pressing Enter. Simple fix of course.

~TAF
Fixed. Cursed VB... Wish I could just enter text normally. I mean, I can make something way better with simple html, and I hardly know what I'm doing...

~TGRF.
Old January 30th, 2019, 02:10 PM

Chapter Two - Escape
Spoiler Alert!
Old January 31st, 2019, 03:01 PM

Chapter Three - Discovery
Spoiler Alert!
Old January 31st, 2019, 04:07 PM

So the posting of this is really difficult. In addition to having to manually indent every single paragraph, all formatting of the text is wiped out. This means no italics or bold, some of which is really important in this tale. I've already missed quite a bit of it.

Because we cannot embed Google Docs (which we could if the admins would enable the option), the only other option left to me would be to post the fan fiction off-site, on my own website, where I would have much more control over how it gets posted and how it looks.

Before I sink a bunch of time into making that happen though, would you guys still read it, or would you prefer it stay here, on HSers? I would of course leave this thread open to comments if I moved it off-site.

~TGRF.
Old January 31st, 2019, 04:52 PM

@TheAverageFan @William099 @hose @Tornado @BiggaBullfrog @Sylvano the Wasabus

Mentioning to get your thoughts on the above post.

~TGRF.
Old January 31st, 2019, 05:08 PM

hose knows what's in an order marker hose knows what's in an order marker hose knows what's in an order marker

I’m probably not your target with that question, as I have been absent from here quite a bit lately. But I have visited other forum member’s web sites to check out their customs, so I wouldn’t have a problem heading someplace else to read your work. Finding the time though...
I have always enjoyed your work. Thanks for sharing.

good trades with rudyvalentine, crazytankster, and Jexik.
Old January 31st, 2019, 05:11 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I have no preference as long as I have a way to easily get to whatever site it would be on, should that be the case.

I myself have never had too much difficultly manually indenting and adding italics and bold (although I do wish there was an easy way to Find all uses of it on Word); it just takes some extra time before uploading. When I wrote The Moon Has Wings on Word I would actually put in the [I] and [B]'s there so it would do it automatically when pasted to this site. That's just me though and I'm unfamiliar with Google Docs as a writing tool and have always Copy/Pasted from Word rather than embedding things so I am hardly an expert.

As stated, no real preference as I will continue to read it either way.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old January 31st, 2019, 06:07 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm also probably not the main concern for this question, since I read it before it hits the site, so it doesn't really matter to me. Although if it's easier for you to put it on another site, and it looks nice at only a click away, I'd say go for it.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction