Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old November 29th, 2017, 12:20 PM

Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby! Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby! Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby! Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Why Heroscapers should buy Magic:Arena of the Planeswalk

I am buying multiples because of the board. Now that the game is under $20, it's worth it for me. Our scape terrain is breaking. Slowly, piece by piece, the plastic is becoming brittle and snapping no matter how careful we are. I've tried gluing it but it doesn't last forever

I'm going to save my plastic terrain for when it's specifically needed. The cardboard terrain from Magic AotP is a quick put up and take down and is fine for a lot of our games.

The other pieces- minis, dice, etc, we'll use. The minis will get painted and customed and we've worn the paint of off all of our 100+ scape dice and I'm tired of repainting them.
Old November 29th, 2017, 01:12 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomCarrot View Post
Hopefully things get ironed out as the game progresses and it becomes its own confident game.
AotP is a SUPER dead game at this point. Honestly not sure why WotC even bothered in the first place other than to hold onto the Heroscape/interlocking terrain license. It failed at being Heroscape and it failed at being Magic, making it an awkward abomination. That being said, of course the terrain and minis are worth it to use for Heroscape customs, especially as cheap as it's gotten.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old November 29th, 2017, 02:24 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvano the Wasabus View Post
I am buying multiples because of the board. Now that the game is under $20, it's worth it for me. Our scape terrain is breaking. Slowly, piece by piece, the plastic is becoming brittle and snapping no matter how careful we are. I've tried gluing it but it doesn't last forever

I'm going to save my plastic terrain for when it's specifically needed. The cardboard terrain from Magic AotP is a quick put up and take down and is fine for a lot of our games.

The other pieces- minis, dice, etc, we'll use. The minis will get painted and customed and we've worn the paint of off all of our 100+ scape dice and I'm tired of repainting them.
I did the same thing here. It was $5 for the base set so I grabbed 2 specifically for the boards. We originally thought they'd make great travel maps. Now I'm thinking that I'll paint over the backs and create a modular urban setting for C3G.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old November 29th, 2017, 05:13 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Most every point you made was geared towards ease of entry/ good for new players. Why should I, as someone who has played HeroScape for 12+ years, buy a new game that is like HeroScape minus the variety?
If you read the blog, only one bullet point (one beginning with “However, it is a lot easier for new people...”) is geared towards newer players. I won’t quote the entire blog that answers your question, but just the point that hopefully will tip you over the edge:
Quote:
The spell cards, summoning, multi-life squads, and cryptliths add something new to the game. If you want you can play with Order Markers, use your Heroscape terrain, and paint the figures, so the only thing you are “loosing” from Heroscape is common squads and theme and synergy options of all the expansions, but you can even mix the armies and make custom synergy where general=color and tweak some of the species/personality/class to not lose anything. It may turn some people off as spells seem more “swingy” or if deck-building is not your thing, but for those who want a new strategic challenge without taking away the strategy of Heroscape, this is for you.
Old November 30th, 2017, 02:45 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

From my perspective, AoTP loses significant elements of Heroscape strategy with the lack of OM management and the lack of any need to incrementally develop your army (since units just appear in a developed position). It is, also much more swingy, due to the addition of draw luck and the reliance on the planeswalker figure.

That said, it's still a decent game, interesting in its own right, and has good fodder for customs. I own all the sets, although I won the main set as a Gencon prize and got the expansions for very cheap.
Old November 30th, 2017, 07:47 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

I agree that OM loss is a negative but I do think there is some strategy gained relative to Heroscape in the uncertainty of the cards your opponent holds. It's not entirely analogous to order markers but I think it is interesting.

The swinginess, draw luck, and faster games makes AotP lend itself to the same tournament style that MtG and Hearthstone use (three or five game series with changing matchups each game).

I think had AotP grown it could have had as good of a tournament scene as Heroscape. But I really have no idea what they were thinking with how they rolled out this game and it makes even less sense now that they aren't making it anymore.

I will always have my copy signed by the designers for when it becomes a cult hit
Old November 30th, 2017, 10:17 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Most every point you made was geared towards ease of entry/ good for new players. Why should I, as someone who has played HeroScape for 12+ years, buy a new game that is like HeroScape minus the variety?
If you read the blog, only one bullet point (one beginning with “However, it is a lot easier for new people...”) is geared towards newer players. I won’t quote the entire blog that answers your question, but just the point that hopefully will tip you over the edge:
Quote:
The spell cards, summoning, multi-life squads, and cryptliths add something new to the game. If you want you can play with Order Markers, use your Heroscape terrain, and paint the figures, so the only thing you are “loosing” from Heroscape is common squads and theme and synergy options of all the expansions, but you can even mix the armies and make custom synergy where general=color and tweak some of the species/personality/class to not lose anything. It may turn some people off as spells seem more “swingy” or if deck-building is not your thing, but for those who want a new strategic challenge without taking away the strategy of Heroscape, this is for you.
I read the blog, and sure, while that is the only one specifically about newer players, most of the other points are only relevant to them. It's cheap is a moot point if I already have Scape which is free at this point. I keep a map set up and only play it at my house at this point, so ease of setup doesn't matter. I don't care about customs. It looks like more of a Scape variation than a standalone game to me. The only interesting thing is the spell cards and summoning.

All in all, doesn't seem like much reason for a seasoned Scape vet to get into it. The only real positives I see are that it's cheap and easy to set up, which matters a lot more for newer players than someone with the quantity of Scape that I have.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion