Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old September 30th, 2012, 02:32 AM

TheExplodingCheez knows what's in an order marker TheExplodingCheez knows what's in an order marker
Gimmick Units/Combos

I consider the following units/combos "gimmicks" because their initial concept is intriguing and seems fun to play on paper, but once they hit gameplay, it doesn't make much of a difference. Their main appeal comes from the mere concept of how cool it will be to take advantage of their effect, when usually the change is inconsequential in relation to the trouble taken to carry out the effect. That is not to say the combos are bad, but they are usually more fun in a home game than tactical in a tournament.

Taelord+Omincron Snipers
"Whoa, with Taelord I can basically give the Snipers TWO extra attack instead of one!" But really, at 180 points, Taelord would probably still be overpriced if he gave 2 attack to every other unit as well. The snipers aren't too cheap themselves, either. (disclaimer: I love using this combo; I just find the concept of it to be very gimmicky and height-reliant)

Werewolf Lord/Mindflayer Mastermind
The idea of taking over your opponent's figures is very cool, but often the circumstances don't alow for this to happen or make a big difference. I suppose shades and mind shacklers should be here too, but at least their effect is permanent.

Warforged Soldiers+Nakita Agents/Greater Ice Elemental
This is probably the biggest gimmick on here. You can use WFS to switch opponents into adjacency with nakitas, thus triggering engagement strike. Seems like a cool way to take advantage of both effects, but it is extremely hard to set up without losing board advantage, and even if you do pull it off, you only have a 1/4 chance of dealing one wound. Yippee.

Torin+Zettian Guards
Another big gimmick, the concept of ranged counter-strikers with 7 defense sounds unbeatable. However, this is rendered useless by any special attack. Furthermore, with the zettians having 7 defense, your opponent is going to be attacking Torin, not the guards.

Iskra+Retchets (note: some people have objected to this entry. I have included it because the concept of summoning a squad is unique and different, but both units are in the C range)
These guys seemed really cool to me at first. A vampire that can summon dragons! However, the order marker management is tricky, and even if you do pull off the summoning, the reward isn't that great.

and some more that have recently been brought to my attention:

Iron Golem+Zelrig/DW9000
This is one of the more effective gimmick combos. The idea of attacking your own units seems counterintuitive, but the Iron Golem has more than a 99% chance of surviving unscathed from Zelrig's special attack. Simply place IG adjacent to lots of enemy squaddies and unleash the fire. This is especially effective since IG is double-spaced. Even though this can be a powerful combo, I do consider it a gimmick because it is situational and out of the ordinary.

Tagawa Samurai (thanks Garanex)
Leveling up your units to give them more attack is another unique effect that seems great. A potential 6 attack and 5 defense on a squad! But that's just the problem, they are a unique squad, and they often die before they can level themselves up high enough.

Dzu-Teh, Obsidian Guards, and Fyorlag Spiders (thanks Porkins)
The main reason these units are a gimmick is because they come with terrain packs and are therefore tied to them. As the power rankings index attests, pretty much the only way the Obsidian Guards can win is if you reveal that that map you're playing on is composed entirely of molten lava. The Spiders' effect almost never happens, and their stats are terrible. The Dzu-Teh are probably the best of the three squads, but they still have no abilities that work outside an ice map. These units are also gimmicks because they are so rare (effectively, each one costs as much as the entire terrain pack it comes in, which is now around $75). So, the terrain-based squads are more thematic than useful, making them huge gimmicks.

Any other units or combos you think are gimmicks? Any objections to the units I put on here? Again, I am not saying that gimmick combos are not good, but merely that they have a cool or unique effect or take advantage of another unit's effect, but often the setup isn't worth the reward, or they are too situational. Just wanted to introduce the concept of gimmick units.

My Satirical Strategy Review (dedz to Bothi, stay tuned for more!)

~TheCheez

Last edited by TheExplodingCheez; October 2nd, 2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:02 AM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Gimmick Units/Combos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExplodingCheez View Post
Iskra+Retchets
These guys seemed really cool to me at first. A vampire that can summon dragons! However, the order marker management is tricky, and even if you do pull off the summoning, the reward isn't that great.
I agree with a number of what you call gimmick combos but not with Iskra + Retchets.

To me the combination is a great way to move figures across a board without too much limitation (similar to the Airborne) and the ability to drop figures with height advantage into immediate adjacency should never be under-rated.

Granted, I'd normally play the AE before these guys but if I don't have the extra 10 points to spare these critters can be a deadly combo as well. With a little luck the Lethal sting itself can take down such powerhouses as Sgt Drake and Siege with one attack. And while an attack of 3 is average (although it should be 4 if placed correctly) against low defense units you can still get some damage done while defending with 3/4 dice.
Iskra's the weak link here but even then with her blood lust (if she sticks to bumping off the weaker defence units) she can last until the retchets come into play easily enough. This just needs too be done relatively early in the game to make sure it's worth it.

As for the others:
Why play Taelord without Runa and his Minions? I've never thought of Snipers before but Taelord's just too pricey unless your using him as part of a theme army.

Werewolf and Mindflayer - I've never had any luck with either so a combination would probably be twice as bad for me .

Warforged and Nikitas - Just sounds strange to me. Never tried this combo either but...

Torrin and Zettian's - Tried this once and got beat down badly - but that's not too unusual.

Another gimmick combo that doesn't make too much sense -
Dund and Sudema wouldn't be too good - but I like the idea of both of them together - on your team.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; October 1st, 2012 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Just saying Retchet leaves a bad aftertaste in my mouth.
Old October 1st, 2012, 10:54 AM

Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I agree with AMIS in regards to the retchets, in that if you can pull it off I think the reward is worth it. My problem though has been pulling it off, as I remember one game where I spent probably 12 turns attempting to summon them and failed every time, and thus she ended up dying prior to getting them in game.

Warforged and Nikita: I also have never thought about this strategy, but it sounds really fun, but obviously very tricky to pull off.

Mindflayer I've had trouble with, but I find the Werewolf Lord worthwhile, assuming you are facing an appropriate army (meaning hero-based, which often is not tournament armies). The 50% chance to get an extra turn with an enemy hero after merely inflicted one wound can provide you with many extra attacks. Other things that make this worth it is the ability to make your opponent lose bonding, and since Werewolf Lords are uncommon you can have multiple of them.

The Tagawa Samurai is a squad that I would call a Gimmick, as I tried them many times and only a few times was actually able to pull off getting them "leveled up" prior to them dying.
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:04 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

You've mostly nailed it, ExplodingCheez. For the Werewolf Lord, I think having a second one (or even a third one) in your army helps a lot. The C3V's Van Nessing helps a lot also.

The Mind Flayer's greater strength is Psionic Blast--Enslave is just a nifty add-on.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old October 1st, 2012, 12:25 PM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Find theoryscape awesome combos is one of my favourites exercises!

Most of this are almost unplayable in a tournament game, but what a fun.

Warforged+Zelrig: set the opponents figures next to each others and fire in the hole!

Warforged+Microcorps(or Omnicrons Snipers): Put the opponents in the water thanks to tacticall switch, then attack using height!

HSB+Wolves of Badru: Bounce with wolves, barge into the battle with HSB, repeat infinite times.

Cutters+Cyprien: Take the map control with the cutters no need to do damages, then send Cyprien and uses the Cutters as potions for the Lord Esenwein. When Cyprien is dead, clean'up with the Cutters.

Thanos+lots of Rats: OH NOOOO! You killed my Thanos, fortunately, you've to kill all my rats before he comes again, good luck!

Shurrak+Kurrok+Fire elementals: Throw the ennemis in the fire!!! Very themathic moreover.

Brunak+Finn+Fen Hydra: It's always awesome to see a 4attacks of 5 Hydra destroy all the opponent's army.

Myrrdin+Kelda+Jotun(or Charos): Myrrdin give ranged support and more chances to see Jotun or Charos full restored.

Have fun with scape!

Old October 1st, 2012, 12:47 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foudzing View Post

Cutters+Cyprien: Take the map control with the cutters no need to do damages, then send Cyprien and uses the Cutters as potions for the Lord Esenwein. When Cyprien is dead, clean'up with the Cutters.

Thanos+lots of Rats: OH NOOOO! You killed my Thanos, fortunately, you've to kill all my rats before he comes again, good luck!
Both of these are legitimate armies that have had tournament success in the past.

Cyprien with Werewolf Lord: Wound Cyprien with Werewolf Lord to turn him into a Lycan, then you can take turns with Cyprien to get his life back.

Last edited by infectedsloth; October 1st, 2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: see post below
Old October 1st, 2012, 12:50 PM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by infectedsloth View Post

Cyprien with Werewolf Lord: Wound Cyprien with Werewolf Lord to turn him into a Lycan, then you can take turns with Cyprien to get his life back.

Key word "Opponent's" Unique Hero....

Tournament Record:128-54 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Old October 1st, 2012, 12:55 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by boromir96 View Post
Quote:

Key word "Opponent's" Unique Hero....
I even looked up the card to make sure undead were affected, I guess that's why nobody has ever used that combo before.
Old October 1st, 2012, 12:58 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

While Iskra+Rechets is far from a power combo, just feeding Iskra OM3s means that you can switch over to Rechets in the following round if you hit the roll.

Zelrig+Iron Golem is a great example of an awesome in theory/very tricky in practice combo. The HSB/Cutter combo is also similarly awesome in theory but tricky and inconsistent in practice. Same with Snipers and Repulsors (unless you're playing C3V's Omegacron, who smooths things out considerably).
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:37 PM

vikinglad knows what's in an order marker vikinglad knows what's in an order marker

I use the Nakitas+Warforged combo every once in a while because I really like Vydar themed armies. The Nakitas provide smoke screens for the Warforged as they march in. Keeping them adjacent for smoke screens also helps set up the infinitely annoying switch-to-engagement strike. This hardly happens, and rarely matters, but it is fun to try to set up. 1 time I even got to roll for 2 strikes, but only 1 hit.

Good trades with nbxfan, Porkins, lonewolf, and wilabill1
Good card trades with Grison, Fedex worker, and capsocrates.
Old October 1st, 2012, 05:27 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foudzing View Post

Both of these are legitimate armies that have had tournament success in the past.

Cutters and Cyprien is especially nasty. The Cutters can have full map control very quickly, allowing Cyprien to fly in and out without too much trouble of death. Just make sure Cyprien doesn't get terrible rolls.

Mimring>Krug. 'Nuff said.
Old October 1st, 2012, 07:47 PM

TheExplodingCheez knows what's in an order marker TheExplodingCheez knows what's in an order marker

thanks for the feedback guys; added some more based on what people have told me

My Satirical Strategy Review (dedz to Bothi, stay tuned for more!)

~TheCheez

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units