Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old January 30th, 2008, 04:15 PM

whipmaster is surprisingly tart
you know what i ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post
YOU don't seem very good.
Old January 30th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Dude, ace is a tennis obsessed, hot-headed cycopath who has a really scary shed in the back of his house that could contain anyhting.
Old January 30th, 2008, 04:30 PM

aerofool Woo who?
I don't understand why in 16 pages few have come to terms that the reason for the terrain pack(s) is to stop the continual, multiple master set purchases that are being made for the land tiles only. There is little money being made on master sets at this time. No matter how many we buy, there is not enough margin to make the master sets profitable. With the new terrain packs, they are basicly telling us to stop buying the master sets up for the land tiles we need which is not making them money. Instead buy your tiles in these sets and get an extra LOS blocker or two or three in a format in which WotC can actually make money on selling land tiles to the players.

Best way I can explain it is computer printers. Epson, Lexmark, Canon, etc do not make any money on selling printers. They make their money on the ink. When we are buying 2, 3, or even 10 master sets for the land tiles, that is like us going and buying another printer just for the ink cartridges enclosed. It's a lose-lose situation for all. WotC is not making their money on master set sales, and you are stuck with extra figures, dice and turn markers that you will never use. This way, we're getting the opportunity to get the land tiles we need without the extra dice, figures, turn markers or rule books and WotC is making profit, which keeps new things coming.

It's time we change our way of thinking on this. The old expansions would give us LOS blockers, terrain with extra rules and a squad. Each element was a selling point in itself. With the new terrain packs, the land tiles are the main selling point, not the rocks. If you have multiple master sets already, chances are you will not buy it. What are you going to do with extra land tiles anyway? However, if you only have one master set, you may find this many extra land tiles in one pack with no strings quite appealing.

****! I must be having a bad week!
Old January 30th, 2008, 04:35 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barradas
To me WotC is talking about the death of Heroscape.
I think that NOT having a masterset is a STUPID idea, as it was a way to get newbies into the game with one swift purchase.
Absolutely nowhere has it been suggested by WotC that they're doing away with the master set. In fact wotcpbarcaly said they'd be working on MS #3 in the near future and asked for our input on what we'd like to see in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofool
I don't understand why in 16 pages few have come to terms that the reason for the terrain pack(s) is to stop the continual, multiple master set purchases that are being made for the land tiles only. There is little money being made on master sets at this time. No matter how many we buy, there is not enough margin to make the master sets profitable. With the new terrain packs, they are basicly telling us to stop buying the master sets up for the land tiles we need which is not making them money. Instead buy your tiles in these sets and get an extra LOS blocker or two or three in a format in which WotC can actually make money on selling land tiles to the players.

Best way I can explain it is computer printers. Epson, Lexmark, Canon, etc do not make any money on selling printers. They make their money on the ink. When we are buying 2, 3, or even 10 master sets for the land tiles, that is like us going and buying another printer just for the ink cartridges enclosed. It's a lose-lose situation for all. WotC is not making their money on master set sales, and you are stuck with extra figures, dice and turn markers that you will never use. This way, we're getting the opportunity to get the land tiles we need without the extra dice, figures, turn markers or rule books and WotC is making profit, which keeps new things coming.

It's time we change our way of thinking on this. The old expansions would give us LOS blockers, terrain with extra rules and a squad. Each element was a selling point in itself. With the new terrain packs, the land tiles are the main selling point, not the rocks. If you have multiple master sets already, chances are you will not buy it. What are you going to do with extra land tiles anyway? However, if you only have one master set, you may find this many extra land tiles in one pack with no strings quite appealing.

Great post aerofool, I've tried myself to explain this several times, but no matter how plain you make it some still won't get it, or wont 'want' to get it.

EDIT: 500th post... cool!
Old January 30th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
To me WotC is talking about the death of Heroscape.
I think that NOT having a masterset is a STUPID idea, as it was a way to get newbies into the game with one swift purchase.

You're telling me that a newbie is gonna see the game in the hobbie shop then run to WalMart to get the masterset so they can then go BACK to the hobbie store to get extra stuff? No, i think they'll just look for another game.

Also, the new terrain looks very lame to me. If that is what they're going to do, it shows a lack of creativity and commitment to the game.
FIGURE OUT how to make the jungle do-able. START mass producing RttFF since EVERYBODY wants em and CANNOT find them. START mass producing Waves 1-7.

Is that really hard?

You can keep thinking about how you can repaint old stuff and sell it to us as new later. Just give us what you obviously already have the ability to put out.
When you get a chance, could you please post WOTC's five year plan for the Heroscape? Because you obviously have inside information about the game. I mean, no way could you get all of the above knowledge and prophecy regarding Heroscape's demise at the hands of Wizards just from seeing one preview image of one terrain set that hasn't yet been finalized.

You can pull whatever hidden meanings you want from the answers Paul Barclay has given us when asked about the game. But at this point, a LOT of what has been discussed is still being worked out. The complete transition of Heroscape from Hasbro to WOTC is still two months out. The fact that WOTC is throwing out ideas to see the game grow in markets not yet completely tapped should make us excited! At this, the very beginning, they are using what resources they have to establish HS in game stores as fast as possible, and by spending as little money as possible. One terrain set isn't going to DEFINE how they approach the game from here on out.

Regarding a way to make the jungle set "doable". You don't think they're trying to do that already? Do you also have inside knowledge about the budget they've been given for Heroscape, and the profit margins that need to be met to see the game continue, as well as the current cost of production for all of these items to be put together? I know I don't.

People, rant and rave as much as you'd like. Let it all out. Become frustrated with all of that which hasn't even happened yet, except that which you see in your frightened, over active imaginations.

Or... be patient. Wait about five months to see how all of this goes. Give them a chance before voicing yet even MORE damnation and even MORE doomsday prophecies about Heroscape, so you can look back and say, "See! I told you so! I KNEW it was the end!" Even though you had no clue whatsoever.

Such posts have burdened Heroscape forums throughout the years. They're really nothing new. And through all the whining, the game still lives.

Why?

Because everybody who is whining and quivering in fear within the rants and laments of their posts no NOTHING about what is really going on behind the scenes.

So please... stop your b****ing.

Thanks.

.:: .H3X.™ | aka, PushesPixels :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."
Old January 30th, 2008, 04:59 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by hextr1p
So please... stop your b****ing.
b****ing? B****ING? ... THIS! ... IS! ... INTERNET!!!

*Boom chockalockalocka Boom chockalockalocka*

Environmentalists make great compost.
Old January 30th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
b****ing? B****ING? ... THIS! ... IS! ... INTERNET!!!

*Boom chockalockalocka Boom chockalockalocka*

Apologies for my abhorrent language.

.:: .H3X.™ | aka, PushesPixels :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."
Old January 30th, 2008, 05:10 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by hextr1p
Because everybody who is whining and quivering in fear within the rants and laments of their posts no NOTHING about what is really going on behind the scenes.
Double
Old January 30th, 2008, 05:24 PM

Barradas has disabled reputation
I am unable to reveal my sources.

Nevertheless, you really think Heroscape is going to best WARHAMMER for shelfspace at the local comic store????
The consumer friendliness was in the fact that it was sold at walmart and appeared "consumer freindly" with an "ages8+" on the box.

Taking it into the hobby store will kill the game, and you have to think they know that. They've killed other things in the past... don't think they might not do it with this.
Old January 30th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun
Personally I don't get why anyone would complain about terrain sets. Terrain is absolutely necessary to make good maps and without it there are less good maps available. Yes, we want the Fyorlag Spiders and Sujoah (among every other thing we have seen) and I'm sure we will get them at some point. Until then I can make some customs to use for them if I feel I must have them now.

R~

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old January 30th, 2008, 05:40 PM

Barradas has disabled reputation
i dont think anybody's opposed to terrain sets, but they better be worth it, and not repaints of old molds.
They should be unique in look and play, and include more than the land itself, as the lava and ice sets showed.
Old January 30th, 2008, 05:47 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
i dont think anybody's opposed to terrain sets, but they better be worth it, and not repaints of old molds.
They should be unique in look and play, and include more than the land itself, as the lava and ice sets showed.
I'm looking forward to a desert or rocky map. So far the figs included with the past terrain expansions have seen zero play in my armies, excluding the Dumutef, of course. No, I, for one, will buy these "repaints" gladly.

Environmentalists make great compost.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News