Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Notices

Old February 11th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: How to Host Your First Heroscape Tournament

The prize for "Most Apologies Per Post" goes to... ... Joseph Sweeney!

I wanted the OP and second posts to myself. I hope people will offer their own experience and perspective elsewhere. Thanks, boromir and js, for your contributions. I'll get to my own thoughts later when I'm not phone posting.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 11th, 2013, 02:01 PM
...continue to abuse you with my mod powers (until Jim bans me).

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
The prize for "Most Apologies Per Post" goes to... ... Joseph Sweeney!
I don't apologies that much.....do I?

I only apologize when I am/or could be at fault. I don't like to fight or argue with people.

Last edited by Joseph Sweeney; February 11th, 2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old February 11th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

No worries. I was just messing with you a little bit. Thanks for your input!

= =
Old February 11th, 2013, 02:40 PM

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
No worries. I was just messing with you a little bit. Thanks for your input!
I knew that. But I was just asking if...perhaps...ah, never mind.
Old February 11th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

There ya go. Now you're getting it.

= =
Old February 11th, 2013, 06:18 PM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Not sure why another stickey as we already have:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=2117

Which has alot of good information on hosting HS tournaments.

I can agree with much of what was posted, however I have to say I would not get put a lot of emphasis on holding the tourney at a Hobby Shop or Game Store... while they are ok I think public areas give the game much more exposure as well typically give your gamers more room and most likely a nicer venue to play - IMO.

I'm good with a nomial fee to get in they tourney ( which goes 100% toward prizes ) but you stopped short of having the tournament host also look for other prizes in the way of donations or better yet promotions. I've taken pride that the Tree Town Open always have sent all the gamers home with many more $$ worth of prizes than they spent in their entry fee.

I can go on forever talking about tournament planing... I think even the First Tree Town Open was planed well, but I can say every tournament we learn something and can use that to improve the next. Basically just ask your self what did you like about a tournement you attended. What would have done to make it better... it is a simple recipe.

Anyway look forward to more HS tournaments ... hope more spring up here in the upper mid-west.

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023
Old February 11th, 2013, 06:19 PM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Sorry double post ... use to be able to delete these.

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023
Old February 11th, 2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman View Post

Well, for one it doesn't have any mention of BoV, or Sov/C3V.

Last edited by Joseph Sweeney; February 11th, 2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old February 11th, 2013, 07:19 PM

tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper

2.f. Maps: Choose good maps. This is important. Playing on maps that aren’t competitively balanced is the single most frustrating thing for me at tournaments. Look at the BoV, look at maps that have been used in tournaments before with positive feedback. Look at maps from the masters of competitive mapbuilding. I know it sounds terrible to say because there are so many fine mapmakers with fine maps on this site, but keep your standards high. Remember the good ones and reuse them sometimes.

There are good maps all over the place. I don't care for all the maps in the BoV and there are many outside it I like very much. I, personally, am a big fan of maps by mad_wookiee, gamebear, and dignan; if you realize there are maps you like you should look for others created by the same people.
Just wanted to post a small follow-up comment to the thoughts above, as someone who is not a master of competitive mapbuilding but still makes maps that see play at tourneys. I think Dad_Scaper is totally correct about being choosy - if a map determines the outcome of a match before players take a turn that's no fun for anyone. But in the event you do choose a map that shows this kind of weakness, I recommend letting the designer know what the issue was (especially if it was one of mine!).

While the 3 masters referenced are unquestionably capable at their craft, I'd point out that at least 2 of them are from places with very established tourney scenes (GB is a total ninja so I'm not sure about him). Being part of a solid tourney scene gives the benefit of more intense scrutiny and playtesting than realized through casual play amongst weaker players. It also exposes a map to match-ups the builder may not have thought of - and this is likely to happen more frequently as SOV/C3V catch on.

So be a friend to your map-making brethren and tell them about the issues. For myself, I expect and can handle the criticism - it's the silence that kills.

Cheers,

~tgx
Old February 11th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
I *love* the "number one goal" reality check. Terrific.

There is no local Heroscape scene that I've been able to find, but your post has inspired me to try and start one. I've got lots of questions, but will start with just a few. They are random, and not necessarily the most important issues, but I'll circle back round and get to everything eventually.

1) Regarding the #1 goal. Any recommended venues for advertising your tournaments beyond heroscapers? Do you have luck on BGG or in FLGS bulletin boards, etc?
Good question about BGG! I've gotten a few people off my BGG announcements, including Sagrilarus, who showed up with his whole family and said such nice things about us at Fortress Ameritrash. So I recommend it.

You're in a college town with nothing, which makes it tricky. The goal would be exposure for the game. Find one or two people to play with, go to a public-ish place, see what happens. There are lurkers here, but I wouldn't count on enough of them to fill out brackets. Maybe a game day?

Quote:
2) Does the $5 turn anybody off that you're aware of?
No. Next question.

It sounds like you may be doing a game day or something anyway, just to see what action turns up. You can also, if you're worried about it, offer a pack or some extra stuff you have laying around as a prize for first place and skip the entry fee.

The only thing that matters is Rule 1.

Quote:
3) FLGS may not be an option for me. One has no tables (I think?). The other recently moved and I'll have to check them out. Regarding the library option, you didn't exactly give it a ringing endorsement. "I’ve attended one of those, it works." Is there something inherently better about the FLGS? I'm pretty sure our library is going to have a cleaner facility! (I'm also considering hosting it on campus since rooms are available cheaply). Any concerns with hosting it at someone's house if they have the tables and generous space in the basement beyond the risks of inviting complete strangers to your house?
I've hosted an event for my kid, a few of his friends, and a friend of mine at my house. It was fun! And the library was my first ever tournament. It worked fine, with lots of space. Very clean. The great thing about a FLGS is the built-in prize system of gift certificates, and normally nearby food options. Which may not be the case at the library.

But check it out.

If you're at a college campus I 100% guarantee that there are many suitable locations on campus, many multi-purpose rooms, which would give you the advantage of exposure, too.

Quote:
4) Recommendations for the "flow" of the tournament? People show up, check-in at a table, get registered/armies looked over (?), get name tag, then...
You make it sound so orchestrated!

I normally have a deputy or two collecting money while I try to make sure everyone's filled out a tournament sheet. Then about half way through round 1 I realize I didn't count up all the money, so I'll count the money and be short $5, at which point I stand up and say "Hey, did everybody give me money?" And then what happens is one of my kid's buddies will say "No, I forgot." And then I'll say "Ok, don't forget," and then he gives me money.

Your mileage may vary. Also put the name tags with markers next to the sign up sheets. People know what to do.

Quote:

It certainly does. It's a good thread packed with some helpful information. It is not, however, a primer for newbie tournament directors, and I wanted to put together what I knew for some one-stop-shopping.

Quote:
I can agree with much of what was posted, however I have to say I would not get put a lot of emphasis on holding the tourney at a Hobby Shop or Game Store... while they are ok I think public areas give the game much more exposure as well typically give your gamers more room and most likely a nicer venue to play - IMO.
Funny, I read this right after I posted for Xorlof, above. I agree 100%. For me, in my area, the game shop works great. We are not starving for players and people like the easy access to the game shop and the gift certificates, and they have dedicated gaming space and open gaming night right after we're done on Saturdays.

Your mileage may vary; clearly Xorlof's may; the number one rule is do what's right to get people in your community to come to your event.

Quote:
I'm good with a nomial fee to get in they tourney ( which goes 100% toward prizes ) but you stopped short of having the tournament host also look for other prizes in the way of donations or better yet promotions. I've taken pride that the Tree Town Open always have sent all the gamers home with many more $$ worth of prizes than they spent in their entry fee.

I can go on forever talking about tournament planing... I think even the First Tree Town Open was planed well, but I can say every tournament we learn something and can use that to improve the next. Basically just ask your self what did you like about a tournement you attended. What would have done to make it better... it is a simple recipe.

Anyway look forward to more HS tournaments ... hope more spring up here in the upper mid-west.
Yeah, the Tree Town Open is something pretty special. You guys have so many people coming that it's a completely different experience. It's great to see that many people gather every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannergx View Post
Just wanted to post a small follow-up comment to the thoughts above, as someone who is not a master of competitive mapbuilding but still makes maps that see play at tourneys. I think Dad_Scaper is totally correct about being choosy - if a map determines the outcome of a match before players take a turn that's no fun for anyone. But in the event you do choose a map that shows this kind of weakness, I recommend letting the designer know what the issue was (especially if it was one of mine!).

While the 3 masters referenced are unquestionably capable at their craft, I'd point out that at least 2 of them are from places with very established tourney scenes (GB is a total ninja so I'm not sure about him). Being part of a solid tourney scene gives the benefit of more intense scrutiny and playtesting than realized through casual play amongst weaker players. It also exposes a map to match-ups the builder may not have thought of - and this is likely to happen more frequently as SOV/C3V catch on.

So be a friend to your map-making brethren and tell them about the issues. For myself, I expect and can handle the criticism - it's the silence that kills.
I try to put a few words about maps in my tournament reports, but I normally forget. That is outstanding advice, tgx. I also try not to reuse maps too much just to spread out the love for our fine cartographers.

And there are precious few good maps for the multiplayer FFA format I like so much...

= =
Old February 11th, 2013, 10:35 PM

tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
And there are precious few good maps for the multiplayer FFA format I like so much...
Hint noted. One of the things about the multiplayer format is there aren't standards for start zones and set limits. One of the draws of publishing 2 player maps is you know what's expected, and that they have a chance of being used if you meet those standards. The lack of standards is the reason I've never published any.

I'm also sure more than 1 map maker started building maps in pursuit of BOV honors. No such credential exists for multiplayer maps, so that excludes the glory seekers. When put together, I think these 2 issues explain why there are so few multiplayer maps published to choose from.

The above noted, I really like to play multiplayer casually, and will admit to mainly using Dignan's maps. Consequently, I've also become a fan of 14-hex startzones, which I think is also great for skirmish style maps - leaves room for a hero plus henchman and games go quickly.

I actually do have a few of my own multiplayer builds lying around. Perhaps I'll dust a few off and post them.

~tgx
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

The issue with dignan's multiplayer maps is that they are, as he will tell you, designed for team tournaments, because that's what they play in Texas.

There are several good 3 player maps from a guy named Piherculis (I think that's the spelling). The only 4 player FFA map I am really happy with is Mergaine's Redoubt.

There are probably others around I'd like, but I haven't found them yet.

Have a look at the tournament thread linked in my sig to see what I've been looking at recently; we have this event coming up soon.

= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events