Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old November 4th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilms; plans new movies

Shia ruined the Transformers series.... (movie-wise)

Actually, I take that back. It would have been okay with him in it. Micheal Bay ruined it all.

(And there is a TF4 coming out. Ugh. At least mostly new actors, and some new TFs to buy. But the movie is going to be terrible...)
Old November 4th, 2012, 11:02 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Transformers 1 was only half decent, but I never even bothered to see any of the sequels. Not a Bay fan.
Old November 5th, 2012, 12:33 AM
Your wish is my command, Chief Underpants Eater

ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
As far as the topic goes, I'm withholding judgment, but I find the prospect a little scary. I'm sure I'll watch whatever they put out.
For all the complaints and negative feedback that is floating around, let's not forget that everyone here will still go and see the movies they produce.

“Have you ever hoped for something? And held out for it against all the odds? Until everything you did was ridiculous? "
Old November 5th, 2012, 12:47 AM

ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody Bogle View Post
No offense, but you may be insane. 4 had aliens, and considering that the series was based off of magic, as opposed to science-fiction, automatically takes it down a few notches. On the otherhand, I loved 3.

The movies weren't based off of magic, they were based off of popular myths in the times the movies were based. The religious artifacts were all the rage during the times the first few movies took place. So when 4 came out, taking place like what, 15-20 years after, they had to take the new popular myth, and top of that list for the new time period was Roswell. Perfect, plus it was unexpected. It fit very well, and totally felt like Indy to me. I have no problem with the aliens. (In a world with crazy religious powers and magic, are aliens really that hard to believe? Come on, we're Heroscapers for crying out loud. )

Like I said, 3 was just too campy for me. I watched it with my whole family, and none of us liked it. I was actually really surprised when I saw online it has such good reviews. Nobody I know in real life around here likes it. (I don't mind that you like it, I just don't like hate for the 4th movie just because of the aliens. Shia Lebouf? Yeah, hate him, perfectly fine. )
I have no issues with Indy 4 or 3 or any of the others for that matter. They are great movies and nothing happened in 4 that did not fit perfectly well with the rest of the set. However I also happen to like Shia as an actor as well. So I'm prepared to take attacks on both fronts. I thought he was all wrong for that role however and think his performance only hurt the movie. I did care very much for him as an actor in Transformers though Incoming rage!

“Have you ever hoped for something? And held out for it against all the odds? Until everything you did was ridiculous? "
Old November 5th, 2012, 03:29 AM

screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibechief View Post
I would sure hate to see a round of Starwars films or another Indiana Jones movie with no blood or fighting depicted within them.
Well, I believe I find it disturbing watching children so eager to go to war in Narnia series. And yup, lots of dying in that movie too.
Old November 5th, 2012, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwDriver View Post
Quote:
I would sure hate to see a round of Starwars films or another Indiana Jones movie with no blood or fighting depicted within them.
Well, I believe I find it disturbing watching children so eager to go to war in Narnia series. And yup, lots of dying in that movie too.
depicting vulgar things will have that effect no matter the demographic targeted. Children should no more be fighting war than they should be acting in adult movies. I see no commonality here between children playing war and a film that "should" be geared toward a higher age bracket.

The Narnia movies were geared to a younger audience, which to be honest is also something I'm afraid will occur when Disney pumps out movies in this franchise.

Old November 5th, 2012, 04:19 AM

screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker

I do share the sentiment that a bloodless Star Wars and Indy would be awkward. But do remember that the same feeling may not exists with todays generation. Kids today think of Jar-Jar Binks when you mention Star Wars to them.

While not trying to say it is wrong, I never did understood why Americans were so sensitive with their cartoons. Having to grow up watching cartoons from Japan and US. It sure is weird to see US cartoons that have "war" themes with their high powered weapons and battle tactics and produce not a single dead person. As a kid, I really find that stupid and insulting. I mean, on one hand, those Japanese anime taught me that if you fire a rocket at a tank, those people in those tanks are toast. But in those US cartoons (i.e. G.I. "stupid" Joe), everyone in the tank would get out to safety just seconds before the rocket blew up the tank. Again, while not trying to say it's a wrong mentality, I guess Disney never did get away from that kind of thinking.
Old November 5th, 2012, 08:26 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Lewis clearly wrote the Narnia books for children, albeit in a way he knew kids would enjoy. The movies I saw definitely struck that happy medium.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old November 5th, 2012, 08:36 AM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
Then again, the new Indiana Jones film tried to not cast new actors. And it still sucked.
Indy 4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Indy 3

Sorry, but 3 was awful. 4 still felt like classic Indy. Yeah, I hate Shia Lebouf (However you spell it), but the plot was awesome. 3 had Connery (Who's always awesome to see), but it was SO campy I could hardly stand it. I laughed the whole way through it, and not in the good way.
This might be the craziest thing I've seen in my entire life. I've never met anyone who even think 4 is in the same ball park as the other 3 (though Temple of Doom is actually not that great). Last Crusade is pure gold. 4 isn't the worst movie going, but it doesn't live up to the Indy legacy (IMO).

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old November 5th, 2012, 08:56 AM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
Then again, the new Indiana Jones film tried to not cast new actors. And it still sucked.
Indy 4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Indy 3

Sorry, but 3 was awful. 4 still felt like classic Indy. Yeah, I hate Shia Lebouf (However you spell it), but the plot was awesome. 3 had Connery (Who's always awesome to see), but it was SO campy I could hardly stand it. I laughed the whole way through it, and not in the good way.
This might be the craziest thing I've seen in my entire life. I've never met anyone who even think 4 is in the same ball park as the other 3 (though Temple of Doom is actually not that great). Last Crusade is pure gold. 4 isn't the worst movie going, but it doesn't live up to the Indy legacy (IMO).
I explained myself already, I think exactly the opposite! We can agree to disagree.
Old November 5th, 2012, 09:26 AM

puzzlemonkey rolls all skulls baby! puzzlemonkey rolls all skulls baby! puzzlemonkey rolls all skulls baby! puzzlemonkey rolls all skulls baby! puzzlemonkey rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlemonkey View Post
One reason a company like Disney buys a company like Marvel or Lucasfilm is because they're doing something that Disney can't do, not because Disney feels so strongly that they can do it better that they want to buy them. Disney knew perfectly well who bought Marvel comics, and they never had any intention of "Disney-fying" them. Is there a Disney logo on Marvel Comics? No, because although Disney owns them, it's not part of their "brand."

Will Disney have a logo at the start of a new Star Wars film? Well, yeah, I'd bet they will. Are they going to try to make stuff that's more kid-friendly than previous iterations? Who knows? If you ask me, the prequels were pretty well aimed at adolescents at the high end. Or maybe it was just that they sucked. (I feel that both things are true.) Still, they're going to try to make exactly the stuff that has made Lucas billions of dollars, because that's why they're buying the company. Not because they think that all movies should be for kids.
This is not all true. They do not have the freedom that you propose here. They are very much limited by the bonds placed upon them. The share and stockholders that hold much sway have kept Disney from embracing the more dark side of many of it's acquisitions in the past. I'm not advocating that they will make it geared to ten year olds. I'm just saying that we have almost zero chance of being impressed by any adult themed visuals.
Disney is obligated to make money for its shareholders. Lucasfilm may be gutted (specifically its animation people and ILM divisions), and the shareholders may be a part of that discussion, but again, Disney is very unlikely to make any substantial changes to the Star Wars "brand" as we know it. Disney owns companies like ESPN and ABC as well. They don't put a Disney logo on those stations to let us know they own them, and they certainly don't modify the content of those stations to fit a particular model.

There is never going to be a scenario where shareholders get to demand that Yoda wear a backwards baseball hat and get a musical number in a Star Wars film, or even vote on such a thing.
Old November 5th, 2012, 09:32 AM

puzzlemonkey rolls all skulls baby! puzzlemonkey rolls all skulls baby! puzzlemonkey rolls all skulls baby! puzzlemonkey rolls all skulls baby! puzzlemonkey rolls all skulls baby!

Oh, and there is a reason that "nuking the fridge" will become the big-screen equivalent of "jumping the shark."

That aside, I couldn't bring myself to hate Indy IV. But it was godawful. I just can't hate a movie that has the best score theme ever.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies