Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Notices

Old January 26th, 2012, 11:12 PM

Megapower999 knows what's in an order marker Megapower999 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Question Dump: Post Your Questions Here.

i was curious about phantom falling through leaving engagement, entering engagement and phantom landing in engagement.

Tourney History: 1-8, 3468 points slain.
Old January 26th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megapower999 View Post
when i said ice cold wasnt triggered, i meant that he wasnt on water.
And sorry, but my house rules say build ladders wherever you want
That's fine. Your question still had valid points even without water at the bottom of the ladder. Shiori may survive the fall, keeping the situation basically the same.

Last edited by GaryLASQ; January 26th, 2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old January 26th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

So ... is it agreed that Phantom Walk does allow the figure to fall (not just move down without falling) through (or onto and then step away from) an opposing figure? The fact that it is a fall does make me pause.
Old January 26th, 2012, 11:47 PM

Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Gary, read this, and then this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosChild View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomo6
Wow, that's quite a thread! (I think the way to think about RotV Drake's grapple gun, given Craig's answers, is that he goes straight up, then over one space.)

I'm left with several questions on falling, though... anyone have any thoughts/answers for the following?

1. Can I fall/jump/be thrown off of a ladder onto the landing space below?

2. Can I fall/jump/be thrown through an opposing figure on my way down?

3. Can I fall/jump/be thrown PART-WAY down a ladder? (I decide to grab on to rung number 7 on my way down.) Would that count as just one move? (So if I had 6 moves, could I take 6 of these fall/hops down a very long ladder?)

4. Can I jump off the ladder and land on a space adjacent to the landing space? If so, I'd take engagement swipes from any opposing figure lower than me on the ladder, right?
(So I go over one space, then straight down, no "going through" anyone. Sort of the reverse of RotV Drake going up.)
No jumping. Jumping is not a mechanic in heroscape. The monks can leap, but that is an ability specific to that unit and the mechanics of the ability are on the card. Same goes for any other movement ability including throwing. Examples of special movement can be found in the castle rulebook (pg. 7). The following answers are for falling only.

1. Yes.

2. No, you can't fall through an opposing figure.

3. No, falling has a specific meaning in heroscape and you can't fall onto a ladder. If a figure is moving down a height equal to or greater than its own height, it is falling. If the height the figure is moving down is less than its height, it is not "falling" and you have to count each rung. No skipping that last 1 or 2 rungs.

4. If you fall off a ladder to a space next to the ladder, you would only take leaving engagement strikes from figures you are engaged to prior to falling. Edit: After reading the answers to the Drake questions better, I have to change my answer. You would take leaving engagement strikes from opposing figures while falling past them.
Haven't find anything to contradict this yet.
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:12 AM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedim Kabal View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Wow, that's quite a thread! (I think the way to think about RotV Drake's grapple gun, given Craig's answers, is that he goes straight up, then over one space.)

I'm left with several questions on falling, though... anyone have any thoughts/answers for the following?

3. Can I fall/jump/be thrown PART-WAY down a ladder? (I decide to grab on to rung number 7 on my way down.) Would that count as just one move? (So if I had 6 moves, could I take 6 of these fall/hops down a very long ladder?)

4. Can I jump off the ladder and land on a space adjacent to the landing space? If so, I'd take engagement swipes from any opposing figure lower than me on the ladder, right?
(So I go over one space, then straight down, no "going through" anyone. Sort of the reverse of RotV Drake going up.)
No jumping. Jumping is not a mechanic in heroscape. The monks can leap, but that is an ability specific to that unit and the mechanics of the ability are on the card. Same goes for any other movement ability including throwing. Examples of special movement can be found in the castle rulebook (pg. 7). The following answers are for falling only.

1. Yes.

3. No, falling has a specific meaning in heroscape and you can't fall onto a ladder. If a figure is moving down a height equal to or greater than its own height, it is falling. If the height the figure is moving down is less than its height, it is not "falling" and you have to count each rung. No skipping that last 1 or 2 rungs.

4. If you fall off a ladder to a space next to the ladder, you would only take leaving engagement strikes from figures you are engaged to prior to falling. Edit: After reading the answers to the Drake questions better, I have to change my answer. You would take leaving engagement strikes from opposing figures while falling past them.
Haven't find anything to contradict this yet.
How about the FAQ? From page 4:
Quote:
Can a figure standing on a ledge and not
adjacent to any other figure fall off the
ledge, fall past another figure and take a
leaving engagement attack from that
figure?

No. You check for adjacency on each space as you
move, when that figure was on the top of the cliff it
was not engaged, and when it landed it was not
engaged, thus no leaving engagement attacks
occurred. Remember, the only things considered
spaces are actual hexes a figure can stand on, and
ladder rungs. You never check for adjacency as you
climb a battlement, as you climb up terrain, or as
you fall. You only check adjacency on each space as
you move.
~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:30 AM
Spin Master

Quote:
Hey, I'm going to have to agree with that answer.

Quote:
Quote:

1. Yes.

That Drake ruling here on the forum is older than the last FAQ, and has definitely been reversed! See page 4 of the FAQ under Movement. There are several questions answered about checking for adjacency and when the leaving engagement attack occurs.

You only check for adjacency on spaces where figures are, or plan to be. You do not check adjacency (or engagement) while falling down or grappling up, or climbing up, or moving down, or just plain moving.

Healthy Drake starts on a grass space, adjacent and engaged with Ne-Gok-Sa. He grapples up 6 levels (higher than Ne-Gok-Sa's height) over the ruin and down onto the grass space on the other side, which is still adjacent to Ne-Gok-Sa. (He rolls for falling damage and might get a wound.) Drake never left engagement. If he was not grappling over the ruin to another adjacent space, and planned to grapple way up to a higher non-adjacent space, you would have to declare that he is moving to a non-adjacent space, and wait for the opponent to roll for leaving engagement first before making the movement.

The exception to determining leaving engagement attacks, by checking adjacency of the planned destination space, is when the card specifically says "when figure X starts to Y, if it is engaged, it will take any leaving engagement attacks." ... like where Y = Flying, for example. Drake's card does not say "when Drake starts to grapple...".

Heh, I just noticed, cmgames did a Ninja post above mine.

Last edited by GaryLASQ; March 15th, 2022 at 12:52 AM.
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Spin Master

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLASQ View Post
The Ice Elemental being on the landing space does raise an interesting question about Phantom Walk, in general. If a figure with Phantom Walk moves down (say from a ledge) onto an opposing figure that has an Engagement-Strike type ability, and it has not become engaged prior to moving down, is the Engagement-Strike triggered at all.

I would say "yes" as soon as it takes the first step out, away from the space occupied by the opposing figure, because that is the point at which they become engaged. HA! ... unless that first step is another ledge the puts the figure with Phantom Walk too far down to be engaged with the opposing figure. Wow, my head hurts.
Agreed.
Sweet! So, if nobody disagrees, the image below shows a successful and 100% safe Ghost Walk (from the high space to the water space) without the need for Disengage. Carr never entered or left engagement while passing through the opposing Marro Warrior, and he didn't even need to roll for falling damage (Carr height 5, Marro height 4).

Last edited by GaryLASQ; March 15th, 2022 at 12:51 AM.
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:25 PM

Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgames View Post
How about the FAQ?
I should have snipped better. Sorry, this is all I was adding:

Quote:
Move through with ghost walk is fine (as in Gary's image), but not with falling from what I can find.
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:28 PM

Thewink 45 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Why would WOTC or hasbro not want to give up rights to other companies if they are going to do nothing more with heroscape?
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewink 45 View Post
Why would WOTC or hasbro not want to give up rights to other companies if they are going to do nothing more with heroscape?
Do we know that they are going to do nothing more with HeroScape? Ever?

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:37 PM

Thewink 45 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Seems that way.
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Spin Master

Quote:
Quote:
Move through with ghost walk is fine (as in Gary's image), but not with falling from what I can find.
After giving it more thought...

Falling (if desired) happens while moving normally. It is a part of moving. So you shouldn't need someone to specifically say "You can't fall (and therefore pass) through an opposing figure, unless you have the Phantom Walk ability". It can be safely assumed, I would think.

If you say falling is not a part of normal movement, and you loose an ability or bonus because of that, then it opens up a very messy can of worms.

What about the Road bonus? If you stay on road tiles the entire time, but happen to do a fall during your movement, do you loose the road bonus? That would seem silly.

Last edited by GaryLASQ; January 27th, 2012 at 03:02 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's