Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old August 21st, 2017, 09:40 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Played 3-player Spirit Island this weekend. Really strong co-op, that I think would be hard to alpha because there is so much going on. Lots of variability with different invaders/settlers and other add-ins. Really interesting fear mechanic which is also very thematic. We had a great time playing it and multiple people wanted to buy it after watching it played.
That seems like an interesting game. I'm sure one or two people in my game group will be getting Spirit Island.

On another note, it looks like I'll be getting into Star Wars Legion

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/e...r-wars-legion/
Funny you mention it as I just pre-ordered it. We had many discussions about whether or not FF will just paste in Skirmish Imperial Assault rules. Most agreed that if it is an updated/refreshed version of the old miniatures game, it will be good enough. The main problem I see is that at least in my circles, everyone has tons of SW minis and will just be printing cards or copying one person who buys it.
Old August 21st, 2017, 10:01 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Played 3-player Spirit Island this weekend. Really strong co-op, that I think would be hard to alpha because there is so much going on. Lots of variability with different invaders/settlers and other add-ins. Really interesting fear mechanic which is also very thematic. We had a great time playing it and multiple people wanted to buy it after watching it played.
That seems like an interesting game. I'm sure one or two people in my game group will be getting Spirit Island.

Funny you mention it as I just pre-ordered it. We had many discussions about whether or not FF will just paste in Skirmish Imperial Assault rules. Most agreed that if it is an updated/refreshed version of the old miniatures game, it will be good enough. The main problem I see is that at least in my circles, everyone has tons of SW minis and will just be printing cards or copying one person who buys it.
I believe the scale is 32mm, so it might be bigger than existing models. May work fine though for those people. But believe me, there are a tonof people that don't have the minis and will be all over this.

I'm getting it preordered too.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Last edited by Hahma; August 21st, 2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old August 21st, 2017, 10:36 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Played my first game of Emperor's Choice, a Japanese designed game on Chinese history. It was lots of fun, there were a lot of interesting ways to score points, and we learned together. A short game for us, it actually played in 1 1/2 hours as advertised. Sweet!
Old August 21st, 2017, 11:32 PM
Promotable Material

Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I believe the scale is 32mm, so it might be bigger than existing models. May work fine though for those people. But believe me, there are a tonof people that don't have the minis and will be all over this.

I'm getting it preordered too.
I'm planning to preorder soon. After watching ...
... I'm sold. I already have Imperial Assault (and plan to keep with it) but Legion will scratch my wargaming itch. Additionally, the models are bigger and thicker, which will make painting them much more enjoyable, IMO. Sorastro said that Legion Luke stands 35mm high compared to IA Luke at 30mm high.

I understand the frustration some have with the scale being different than IA, but I've come to really enjoy painting larger miniatures after painting the larger Runewars models and the miniatures from Knight Models (for my Heroic Encounters game).

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. Been buying Runewars (it's fun and I've got a little group to play with) but with Legion and the Song of Ice and Fire (I got 2 core sets w/ stretch goals during the Kickstarter since I figured I could resell later, if the game proves to not be my thing) on the horizon, I might have to adjust the hobby budget away from Runewars and the other SW IPs (Armada/X-Wing) as well. Other than an SSD model and a Thrawn card I'm not sure how much more Armada I want ... and X-wing has always been a casual thing for me anyway.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 07:13 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

@Hellfire

Yeah, seems the minis are going to be bigger than I had originally thought. I thought they were going to be 32mm, but it seems more like 34 or 35mm.

Actually, being bigger will make it easier for new painters to work on, as I'm guessing there will be a lot of Star Wars fans that want this game but aren't hobbyists, but are willing to learn. I have a buddy that is like that. He has everything X-Wing and Armada, but is stopping collecting those. He's going to start practicing his painting skills before this comes out.

Old August 22nd, 2017, 02:01 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Just played my first enjoyable game of Emperor's Choice with 3 Players last night. I had gone over the rules and prepped the game, then we learned together. One of us went for Tribute cards, another cornered the market in carriage tokens, but the third collected all three Imperial Treasures. Lots of action and fun.

Today my copy of Iki came in the mail! What with the new Star Trek Ascendancy Expansions just played for the first time, its like a miniGenCon around here right now! Got to go get some more card sleeves...

I was very lucky to find the two rare but highly rated Asian themed games at the BGG Store, just before they sold out.

Last edited by chas; September 1st, 2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 07:40 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

I've been looking at Arena for the Gods since Origins and managed to get in a demo at GenCon. Picked it up shortly thereafter (with bonus promo Captain America's Shield and a AftG related card for King of Tokyo). It's a simple, quick arena battle, but has tons of replayability and some good rules. Everyone bids their life points on weapons, mounts, armor, and spells. The more you bid the better your equipment, but the more likely you are to fall in battle. There's a good balance here. Then they enter the arena and battle it out. The game ends when the first hero falls, and the hero with the highest health remaining is the winner. This prevents ganging up on a single hero, as you need to make sure you're the healthiest if you knock someone out. There are also rules for team (2v2) games and "all against the Titan" where one player gets combined health and multiple activations, for variety. I'm really loving it.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 23rd, 2017, 03:40 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I'll throw in a good word for Lovecraft Letter, which I got to play at GenCon.

It's similar to Love Letter, in that it's a social deduction game. It has some *significant* differences, though, that make it a much better game. And I love Love Letter, so that's saying something.

First, it plays up to 6. For a light game, that's a good thing.

Second, it plays faster. Not faster per-person, but faster. A very clever mechanic pushes the game quickly and will wrap up a 6-player game significantly faster than a 4-player game of the original version.

Third, there's more going on. Despite the speed, there's also more complexity than in vanilla Love Letter. And it's all thematic, too, with players going insane, and sometimes reaping the rewards and sometimes suffering the dark consequences of being in contact with the Old Ones.

Highly recommended.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 23rd, 2017, 04:06 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Gen Con Gaming

Epic x 6 - Just discovered this game about a month ago. I believe it is a huge step up from magic. My kids really enjoy it as well.

Too Many Bones x 1 - I really was planning on picking this up, but I have this internal struggle with this game because the minis are basically poker chips and for whatever reason I can't seem to pull the trigger despite the great component and game.

Hero Realms x 1 - Was really hoping the Ruins of Thandar campaign would be available at gen con. Looks like I have to wait a few more months.

LotR LCG: x 7 - I always enjoy this one. The Gen Con exclusive event was difficult but we did eventually manage to beat it.

One Deck Dungeon x 1 - This game is a lot more fun than I anticipated and the price point is great a well.

Welcome to the Dungeon x 1 - Decent filler game. Nothing too exciting.

Aventuria x 3 - My favorite of the con. It's a nice mix of an adventure card game with a light RPG. Perfect for me and the kids.

Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG - We died, we fought, we died more, we explored, and we all died again...

Pathfinder ACG x 1 - We played their custom scenario and had a blast playing it.

Heroscape x 10 - The game that rises above the rest. Great game and a great community.

Unlock x 2 - I was half asleep when we played this game, it seemed like it could be decent I just wasn't into it at the time.

Dragon Dice x 5 - The 2nd best game there is. Oh and I happen to win Worlds again... (4 x Dragon Dice World Champion)

Dark Souls x 1 - I never played the video game but this game is hard. We made it to the mini boss 3 times, and died 3 times...

So 43 games in a 4 day(ish) period. Not bad. As always Gen Con was a blast and as always I wish I could have gotten more gaming in but I'm getting old and have to sleep nowadays...

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old August 23rd, 2017, 04:21 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Congrats on Dragon Dice, Matthias!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 23rd, 2017, 05:41 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Well done MM.

I am curious how much of that was events, demos or just pick up games?

What is the RPG element of Aventuria?

I played a card game at Gen Con.

Thought I was playing a mass mech mayhem version of Battletech but instead ended up in a new D&D card game called Dragonfire.

OMG - just saw it is $90. Wow.

Not exactly my cup of tea but the people that were there to play it, loved it, really loved it. Each player selects a character class that means little early but becomes more important as time goes on.
It is cooperative and everyone works together to vanquish the foes.
Some interesting mechanics which felt a bit like Go Fish to a novice card gamer like me but everyone seemed to really enjoy offering what they could to help you defeat your individual foe.

I just wonder what the guys we were talking to before the demo, thought when they asked if we had played before and we responded "No, but we have played a lot of Battletech."

I still did not know what was going on until they asked me to pick a character.
Fun experience that I would have never chosen to do on my own.

Also played in some d20 Starship Troopers game on the field of Lucas Oil Stadium.
Great experience except for the game.

Got into a couple RPGs also. 4 events is like a record for me.
Old August 23rd, 2017, 06:24 PM
Prickly Cactus

Monday night at game night I played a few games I haven't tried before:

Einstein: His Amazing Life and Incomparable Science - This was different. A spacial puzzle game of sorts. Each player has a deck of cards and each deck represents a different age of Einstein, so each player has different cards. On the cards you have "Ideas" that you are trying to formulate, and they are represented by different combinations of pieces places in certain relation to each other. Depending on how many they require, you can get 3-5 points for an accomplished Idea. Each player also has stacks of 4 different shape pieces, and each player has the same shape and number of these. So you draw 3 of your cards and on your turn, you will place 2 of your pieces to a growing communal puzzle. So after the first player starts placing 2 pieces, each player will add 2 of their own in order to try to complete one of the Ideas on one of the cards in their hand. You can complete it by connecting with other player pieces, but yours has to be the final piece that completes it. Each piece that belongs to someone else in your Idea, gets a star token (vp) for each of their shared pieces. After you complete an idea, you set that card aside to score later and draw another from your deck. There are also 4 common cards that people can try to score with, and they refill when one is completed. It's kind of neat, but certainly tricky in trying to get the right combination of pieces together to match a card, and also without someone screwing you over by placing pieces that might block you out of your plan. So while you can try to set yourself up for a next play, there's no guarantee it will be available when it comes back to your turn, so then you have to think on your feet.

King Domino (x2) - This one was really fun, light and quick. Each player has a little castle piece and a single space square tile to place it on. Then there are a bunch of double spaced tiles and you draw 3 of them randomly and arrange them in ascending order based on the number on the back. The front of these tiles will have various types of landscape represented; there's grain fields, grasslands, forests, swamp, mountains, and water. Some of them are full of one type of terrain, but most of them are split half and half between 2 terrain types. Some of them have one or more crowns on half of the tile. So the first player gets their choice of tile and places their meeple on it, and then the others follow. Then 3 more tiles are drawn and shown in order. Then the player that chose the lowest numbered tile will place their tile in their play area and then place their meeple on one of the newly revealed tiles. So you will get the first choice this time, but if you chose the lowest numbered tile next time, then you will get the last choice of tiles for the following round. You have to place your tiles branching out from your castle tile, though your castle tile doesn't have to be in the center by the end, but your first tile has to touch it and you can only end up with a 5x5 single space play area, so you will likely touch your castle tile on a few sides. When placing a tile next to your castle tile, it doesn't matter what the terrain type is, but when placing tiles next to other tiles, at least one half of the tile much match up with half of any tile it is placed next to . So as far as the scoring goes, you are trying to connect like terrain pieces so that you have a bunch of them connected, because for each crown in any of that terrain type in that bunch is a multiplier times 1 for each of that connect terrain type. Sometimes you can have 3 or more crowns x maybe 6 or 8 halves of terrain types, as while the tile is double spaces, you count each half as one for scoring purposes. Fun and quick game.

Ethnos - I won't get into too much detail with this one, as there is a lot more going on. It's not a difficult game, but there is a lot of things. Basically it's an area control, card drafting, set collection game. Various types of fantasy creatures have their own decks of cards and at the start of the game you randomly choose 6 of those creature types and shuffle all their decks together. There are six different colored cards and 6 different colored regions on the map that match the colors of the cards. Each type of creature or whatever card has it's own ability when played as the top card of a set you put down. You draw cards in a way similar to Ticket to Ride (sort of) and when you choose to play a set (of any number of same named creature cards despite the colors, or any number of the same colored cards despite the type of creatures on them), you can place one of your markers in a region on the map that matches the top card you played, and you enact the ability of the top card. Then you put your set aside for later scoring and discard any other cards you had, but you discard them face up individually so that others can see them all and have a choice to draw one of them or one from the deck. So you get to draw a card or lay down a set on your turn. There are 3 dragon cards shuffled in with the bottom half of the draw deck, and after the 3rd one is drawn, that ends the era and various scoring is done for the various means of getting points, including the area control aspect on the board. You play 3 eras and that's it. Great game!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games