Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old July 28th, 2023, 05:04 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Kolakoski’s Pre-SoV Custom Corner

Well met!

Vydar_XLIII did a wonderful job with this.

SPREADING DEATH SONG
When Hjordis Muirgen would be destroyed, do not remove her from the battlefield. Hjordis then sings the Spreading Death Song. When a figure sings the Spreading Death Song, roll 1 Combat Die for each opponent's figure within 4 spaces on the singing figure. If you roll a skull, that figure receives a wound. If you roll a blank or a Valkyrie symbol, that figure sings the Spreading Death Song once all dice for the current singing figure have been rolled. If you roll a blank or a Valkyrie symbol for multiple figures in one song, you may choose the order in which the figures sing. A figure can only be affected by Spreading Death Song once per turn. When all dice for every figure singing the Spreading Death Song have been rolled, remove Hjordis Muirgen from the battlefield.

The figure below is the bard figure originally chosen.

Also available is one for a long ago custom that had a Sonic Sword special attack. Her name was Sirenia, which rolls a lot easier off the tongue than Hjordis Muirgen.

I'm wondering which you all prefer.

It would be a shame if this brilliant power should fade into obscurity. Sirenia was Undead, and had Enslave 17, which would fit a siren. Rename it perhaps? I also considered Mindshackle [19]. I'm thinking Aria of Despair is a good name for a special power, but a simpler power, say one that wounds on a 20-sider roll within a certain number of spaces might be preferable. Or one that moves figures involuntarily. I like Singing Sword Special Attack (maybe called simply Singing Sword), which is sort of Elricish, but wonder whether the range of the 20-sider should be reduced.

Singing Sword Special Attack
Range 1, Attack 4
When Hjordis Muirgen attacks with Singing Sword Special Attack and inflicts a wound, roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 17-20, inflict an additional wound, and roll again. You may continue inflicting wounds in this manner until you no longer roll 17-20.

What do you all think?

Old July 28th, 2023, 06:45 PM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Further thoughts on a Valkrill bard:

Such a bard could be expected to sow chaos and confusion in general in addition or instead of being aimed at individual units. Order Marker shifting or removal are the most obvious ones I left out of the previous post. Some sort of Runa-like low percentage, high volume power that would do the former or cause units to turn on one another, for instance.

Old July 30th, 2023, 01:08 AM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Oh, cool; you're working on Hjordis Muirgen. I nearly voted for her in Dr.Goomonkey's poll.

The Bard figure you chose for the contest sells the bard theme better than the one you chose for your older custom, but it less convincingly portrays a Demon. I think this would be a matter of personal preference.

Aria of Despair might be a little too strong. The Skull Demon's Frightening Presence and 3L/4D stats can be brutal against weaker figures; Aria of Despair applies the same effect to a larger area, ignores the Common Squad and targeting restrictions, and adds a Defense penalty as well. Given that you can drop Muirgen into a convenient position with the Acolytes of Vorganund, it might be a little too easy to weaken an opponent's army.

Singing Sword Special Attack is very similar to Sujoah's Poison Sting Special Attack, which isn't exactly a game-breaking power. You could probably use that SA's 20-sider range as a model for Muirgen's. It should definitely be called Singing Sword Special Attack, though, unless you want it to apply to Muirgen's normal attacks instead.

Honestly, I have no idea how to gauge the value of Spreading Death Song, as it's an incredibly high variance power dependent on all players' figure placements. Statistically, you're likely to rack up a couple of wounds due to its effective 8-space threat range and large radius, and it shouldn't be that hard to spread the song at least once if Muirgen is destroyed in the earlier parts of a game. I'd think of it as a significantly improved version of Runa's aura unless you're playing against several high-value Unique Heroes.

Order Marker disruption powers are interesting, as are Mind Shackle-style figure stealers, but their high power level and ensuing balance complications could be more trouble than they're worth for this unit. Besides, I think Hjordis Muirgen's existing powers already represent the concept of a Valkrill Bard splendidly. As I understand it, she sings magically disorienting and enfeebling songs with Aria of Despair until she's about to die, at which point she switches to the song that kills everyone who hears it. She readily spreads mayhem across the battlefield, and then spends her last moments sacrificing herself to ensure that her enemies suffer just a little bit more. That's very fitting for Valkrill's army.
Old July 30th, 2023, 11:43 AM

Well met!

Thanks, Blue Trails! As I believe I said, I thought Aria of Despair might be a bit strong. I agree with you about Singing Sword Special Attack. Sujoah's Poison Sting Special Attack. is even stronger than Singing Sword Special Attack, but OK. So . . .

Singing Sword
Range 1, Attack 4
When Hjordis Muirgen attacks with Singing Sword and inflicts a wound, roll a 20-sided die for additional wounding. If you roll a 1-9, the defending figure receives no additional wounds from Singing Sword. If you roll of 10-19, add an additional wound to the defending figure's Army Card and roll again for Singing Sword additional wounding. On a roll of 20, destroy the defending figure.

Could be worded better.

Aria of Despair
After moving and attacking, you may roll a 20-sided die for each opponent's figure within 4 spaces of Hjordis Muirgen. On a roll of 11-20, that figure must be moved its full movement allowance by its owner by the shortest route back towards its Start Zone.

As usual, looking for advice on 20-sider range.

Spreading Death Song
When Hjordis Muirgen would be destroyed, do not remove her from the battlefield. Hjordis then sings the Spreading Death Song. When a figure sings the Spreading Death Song, roll 1 Combat Die for each opponent's figure within 4 spaces on the singing figure. If you roll a skull, that figure receives a wound. If you roll a blank or a Valkyrie symbol, that figure sings the Spreading Death Song once all dice for the current singing figure have been rolled. If you roll a blank or a Valkyrie symbol for multiple figures in one song, you may choose the order in which the figures sing. If you roll a blank or a Valkyrie symbol for multiple figures in one song, you may choose the order in which the figures sing. A figure can only be affected by Spreading Death Song once per turn. When all dice for every figure singing the Spreading Death Song have been rolled, remove Hjordis Muirgen from the battlefield.

Are we sure Spreading Death Song isn't too complicated. Maybe it would be easier to modify Quahon's Lightning Breath Special Attack.

Spreading Death Song
When Hjordis Muirgen would be destroyed, do not remove her from the battlefield. Hjordis then sings her Spreading Death Song. Choose a figure within 4 spaces of Hjordis. You may also choose a second figure within 4 spaces of the first figure, a third figure within 4 spaces of the second figure and a fourth figure within 4 spaces of the third figure, all to be affected by Spreading Death Song. Roll an attack die for each figure. If you roll a skull, that figure receives a wound. When all dice for every figure affected by Spreading Death Song have been rolled, remove Hjordis Muirgen from the battlefield.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by kolakoski; July 31st, 2023 at 07:15 PM.
Old July 31st, 2023, 07:20 PM

Well met!

So, after Help With Wurdz:

Hjordis Muirgen
General: Valkrill
Demon, Unique Hero, Warrior, Merciless, Medium 5
Life 4, Move 6, Range 1, Attack 4, Defense 4

Aria of Despair
After moving and attacking, you may roll a 20-sided die for each opponent's figure within 4 spaces of Hjordis Muirgen. On a roll of 11-20, you may move that figure its full movement allowance plus 3. It must end its movement closer to its Start Zone than it began. You may not move it into Molten Lava or such that it would take falling damage, and it will take no leaving engagement attacks.

Note: See Help With Wurdz. This is a guess.

Singing Sword
Range 1, Attack 4
When Hjordis Muirgen attacks with Singing Sword and inflicts a wound, roll a 20-sided die for additional wounding. If you roll a 1-9, the defending figure receives no additional wounds from Singing Sword. If you roll of 10-19, add an additional wound to the defending figure's Army Card and roll again for Singing Sword additional wounding. On a roll of 20, destroy the defending figure.

Spreading Death Song
When Hjordis Muirgen would be destroyed, do not remove her from the battlefield. Hjordis then sings the Spreading Death Song. When a figure sings the Spreading Death Song, roll 1 Combat Die for each opponent's figure within 4 spaces on the singing figure. If you roll a skull, that figure receives a wound. If you roll a blank or a Valkyrie symbol, that figure sings the Spreading Death Song once all dice for the current singing figure have been rolled. If you roll a blank or a Valkyrie symbol for multiple figures in one song, you may choose the order in which the figures sing. A figure can only be affected by Spreading Death Song once per turn. When all dice for every figure singing the Spreading Death Song have been rolled, remove Hjordis Muirgen from the battlefield.

P.S.: Previously asked:

Are we sure Spreading Death Song isn't too complicated. Maybe it would be easier to modify Quahon's Lightning Breath Special Attack.

Spreading Death Song
When Hjordis Muirgen would be destroyed, do not remove her from the battlefield. Hjordis then sings her Spreading Death Song. Choose a figure within 4 spaces of Hjordis. You may also choose a second figure within 4 spaces of the first figure, a third figure within 4 spaces of the second figure and a fourth figure within 4 spaces of the third figure, all to be affected by Spreading Death Song. Roll an attack die for each figure. If you roll a skull, that figure receives a wound. When all dice for every figure affected by Spreading Death Song have been rolled, remove Hjordis Muirgen from the battlefield.

Of course, I have no idea how many points to assign her.

Last edited by kolakoski; August 2nd, 2023 at 03:11 PM.
Old July 31st, 2023, 09:32 PM

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
This is a "pre-SoV" design? One intended for submission to the SoV?
Yes. I have a great respect for the people, process and, for the most part, for the results, of SoV. We in the Gang, due to previous customs experience, with very few exceptions, such as testing and AoA (which is sort of semi-official), do not play with anything but Classic and VC. I want any custom I produce to be a real part of the game. It was very gratifying to get Kha inducted. Without the SoV protocols, I'm pretty sure Kha would have ended up being too strong, unbalanced, or otherwise unsuitable. Already, Captain Xuè has evolved into what appears to be a fun, balanced unit, from the confused, unfocused set of ideas that she started out with. And, although not quite there yet, Hjordis Muirgen seems to be on the right track.

Old August 1st, 2023, 06:37 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

While that's generally true for The NYC Gang of Four, we all have our own customs and occasionally will put one in. Sherman Davies, who used to be part of the C3V Inner Circle, will fairly often run Superhero games with only his own customs in the game--he has two separate long Supers customs threads; one for DC and one for Marvel, and a general customs thread as well as one for Lord of the Rings.

Taeblewalker and I have done extensive customs testing for C3V as well, and influenced some of the final designs. TW is involved in the Heroes of Fiction group. I've been designing since the game was published. For example, I have an entire dwarf army from the days before any dwarves were published officially, and an Orc army to fight them from the days when there were only Gruts and some creatures.
Old August 1st, 2023, 08:26 AM

Well met!

Taking this discussion about customs in general to the The New York City Gang Of Four thread.

Last edited by kolakoski; August 1st, 2023 at 08:56 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2023, 09:47 AM

Well met!

"As I understand it, she sings magically disorienting and enfeebling songs with Aria of Despair until she's about to die, at which point she switches to the song that kills everyone who hears it. She readily spreads mayhem across the battlefield, and then spends her last moments sacrificing herself to ensure that her enemies suffer just a little bit more. That's very fitting for Valkrill's army." ~ Blue Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Whatever you end up with will be a big power, text-wise. It's a lot to put that on the same card with Death Song, which is also going to be text-heavy. I would pick one to keep and drop the other.
Is there were some way to make Aria of [Whatever] appropriate and short? Originally, I was going to merely reduce defense by 1. Maybe still do that, but nerf it with a 20-sider roll, a la Whip 12?

Old August 2nd, 2023, 03:16 PM

Well met!

I think Hjordis Muirgen good as is for testing, letting Aria of Despair go.

Hjordis Muirgen
Demon, Unique Hero, Warrior, Merciless, Medium 5

Singing Sword
Range 1, Attack 4
When Hjordis Muirgen attacks with Singing Sword and inflicts a wound, roll a 20-sided die for Singing Sword additional wounding. If you roll a 1-9, the defending figure receives no additional wounds from Singing Sword. If you roll of 10-19, add an additional wound to the defending figure's Army Card and roll again for Singing Sword additional wounding. On a roll of 20, destroy the defending figure.

Dirge of Spreading Death
When Hjordis Muirgen would be destroyed, do not remove her from the battlefield. Hjordis then sings the Dirge of Spreading Death. When a figure sings the Dirge of Spreading Death, roll 1 Combat Die for each opponent's figure within 4 spaces on the singing figure. If you roll a skull, that figure receives a wound. If you roll a blank or a Valkyrie symbol, that figure sings the Dirge of Spreading Death once all dice for the current singing figure have been rolled. If you roll a blank or a Valkyrie symbol for multiple figures in one song, you may choose the order in which the figures sing. A figure can only be affected by Dirge of Spreading Death once per turn. When all dice for every figure singing the Dirge of Spreading Death have been rolled, remove Hjordis Muirgen from the battlefield.

P.S.: Just wish I had a better name for Spreading Death Song.

P.P.S.: Thanks to Dad_Scaper, we have Dirge of Spreading Death.

Last edited by kolakoski; August 3rd, 2023 at 07:45 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2023, 06:59 PM

Well met!

"Chorus of Spreading Death
When Hjordis Muirgen is destroyed, before removing her from the battlefield, roll the 20-sided die once for each figure within 2 clear-sight spaces of her. If you roll a 1-10, place one wound marker on that figure. If you roll an 11-20, that figure is a Singer. Roll the 20-sided die once for each figure within 2 clear-sight spaces of a Singer. If you roll a 1-10, place one wound marker on that figure. If you roll an 11-20, that figure is now a Singer. A figure can only be affected by Spreading Death Song once per turn. When all dice for every figure singing the Chorus of Spreading Death have been rolled, remove Hjordis Muirgen from the battlefield.

"Using combat dice for this type of thing introduces all kinds of problems. The d20 is safer.

"Thoughts?" ~ Dad_Scaper

"Make it opponents' figures. Any reason you changed it to 2 from 4 spaces? I like Dirge though." ~ kolakoski

Tentatively:

Dirge of Spreading Death
When Hjordis Muirgen is destroyed, before removing her from the battlefield, roll the 20-sided die once for each opponent's figure within 4 clear-sight spaces of her. If you roll a 1-10, place one wound marker on that figure. If you roll an 11-20, that figure becomes a Singer. Roll the 20-sided die once for each opponent's figure within 4 clear-sight spaces of a Singer. If you roll a 1-10, place one wound marker on that figure. If you roll an 11-20, that figure now becomes a Singer. A figure can only be affected by Dirge of Spreading Death once per turn. When all dice for every figure Singing the Dirge of Spreading Death have been rolled, remove Hjordis Muirgen from the battlefield.

Last edited by kolakoski; August 3rd, 2023 at 07:46 AM.
Old August 3rd, 2023, 08:03 AM

Well met!

Created an Aria. Created some more alliteration.

Hjordis Muirgen
Demon, Unique Hero, Bard, Merciless, Medium 5

Evil Eye Aria
When any small or medium Valkrill figure within 4 spaces of Hjordis Muirgen rolls defense dice against a normal attack from a non-adjacent attacking figure, all excess shields count as unblockable hits on the attacking figure. Evil Eye Aria does not affect Hjordis Muirgen.

Singing Sword
Range 1, Attack 4
When Hjordis Muirgen attacks with Singing Sword and inflicts a wound, roll a 20-sided die for Singing Sword additional wounding. If you roll a 1-9, the defending figure receives no additional wounds from Singing Sword. If you roll of 10-19, add an additional wound to the defending figure's Army Card and roll again for Singing Sword additional wounding. On a roll of 20, destroy the defending figure.

Dirge of Disseminating Death
When Hjordis Muirgen is destroyed, before removing her from the battlefield, roll the 20-sided die once for each opponent's figure within 4 clear-sight spaces of her. If you roll a 1-10, place one wound marker on that figure. If you roll an 11-20, that figure becomes a Singer. Roll the 20-sided die once for each opponent's figure within 4 clear-sight spaces of a Singer. If you roll a 1-10, place one wound marker on that figure. If you roll an 11-20, that figure now becomes a Singer. A figure can only be affected by Dirge of Disseminating Death once per turn. When all dice for every figure Singing the Dirge of Disseminating Death have been rolled, remove Hjordis Muirgen from the battlefield.

Too much text?

Last edited by kolakoski; August 3rd, 2023 at 12:45 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards