Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old September 8th, 2012, 12:59 AM

Zotzman is surprisingly tart
Good or Better 400 pt Armies for Tournament Tomorrow Night

I'd like some thoughts on what a good 400 pt army might be for fairly small maps for a torunament I'm going to be involved in tomrrow night. I've never really done any serious competitive tourneys. I guess this will be such. I'm used to 500 pts or more. Everything I come up with seems like it needs a bit more to be effective.

All thoughts would be great!

One thought I had was to run Orcs.

Edit: Orcs came to mind because I never have tried to play them competitively. So, it was kind of a challenge, of sorts.

Grim 120
Nerak 170
Heaviesx2 310
BladesX2 390
Isamu 400

Run out first with blades and Nerak at a distance to grab or overtake a glyph. And then start munching squadies and small heroes with a steady attack of heavy/chomp. I'd send a few heavies with the blades to glyph and a few blades with grim to give myself a bit more option early on.

Trade List

Good trades: Lord Trask X3, Nirek X2, beholderthedm, OverEngineered, Tiranx, Chill, Silver_Guy

Last edited by Zotzman; September 8th, 2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old September 8th, 2012, 01:02 AM

TheExplodingCheez knows what's in an order marker TheExplodingCheez knows what's in an order marker
Re: Good or Better 400 pt Armies for Tournament Tomorrow Nig

I would never use both heavies and blades in the same army; I would probably ditch the blades for another squad of heavies. easier OM placement, and heavies are better anyway

My Satirical Strategy Review (dedz to Bothi, stay tuned for more!)

~TheCheez
Old September 8th, 2012, 01:17 AM

Ok, that leaves me with 10 pts. Drop Isamu? Pick up Marcu?

I've had some end-game luck running Marcus around on scampering lone squaddies.

Trade List

Good trades: Lord Trask X3, Nirek X2, beholderthedm, OverEngineered, Tiranx, Chill, Silver_Guy
Old September 8th, 2012, 01:45 AM

TheExplodingCheez knows what's in an order marker TheExplodingCheez knows what's in an order marker

I suppose so; I have the misfortune of not having either, so i can't really talk here. I'd assume Marcu would be better due to his points. Plus, I hate having an extra 10 point, or, even worse an extra 5. kind of a heroscape OCD of mine.

My Satirical Strategy Review (dedz to Bothi, stay tuned for more!)

~TheCheez
Old September 8th, 2012, 08:10 AM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The only issue I see is that you have no range. You could try...

Grim 120
Heavies x 2 260
Arrow Gruts x2 340
Swog Riders x 2 390
Isamu 400

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; September 8th, 2012 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Just a thought.
Old September 8th, 2012, 10:00 AM

Interesting. See, I wasnt sure the 2 or 3 atk max(with arrow grut and swog) was worth the points in a 400 pt army. I know it has it's benefits. Just unsure of how to weigh them.

Trade List

Last edited by Zotzman; September 8th, 2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old September 8th, 2012, 10:04 AM

Btw, what role should Isamu play besides filler? Do I bring him out early or just wait until he's needed.

Trade List

Old September 9th, 2012, 12:51 AM

LazySoul4 Woo who?

I am a bit out of practice and have never partaken in any tournaments outside of my old play group, but my suggestion would be to hold him back. Wait until the action is going and then have him come in once attention has been pulled onto the Orcs so that he can move in as an assassin.
Old September 9th, 2012, 07:54 AM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

How about,

Grimnak
Heaviesx3
Marro Warriors
Marcu
400 points/19 hexes

Tournament Record:126-52 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Old September 9th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

That's a solid army. I don't see why you wouldn't switch the Marro Warriors and Marcu for another squad of Heavies, and if you don't have another squad of Heavies, why you wouldn't switch the Marro Warriors for Nerak. Nerak is great for improving Grimnak's survivability, which you will need to fix since you don't have any other Orc Champions.

Last edited by vegietarian18; September 9th, 2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: unless that army is for the draft tournament... then I can see it being good.
Old September 9th, 2012, 11:50 AM

Great idea! Alas, the Tourney is over. We went 5 games before time ran out. Grim, 2x Heavies, 2x Swog, 2x Arrow won all but against 1 Army. The brick wall - Charos, Fen Hydra, Greenscale. So few Chompables!

Trade List

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion