Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs
HoME Customs A place for Heroes of Middle Earth Customs

Notices

Old October 1st, 2012, 01:43 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
HoME Brainstorming Thread

Heroes of Middle Earth

Brainstorming

This thread is created for the purpose of serving as a receptacle for all of the rough ideas for units and gameplay mechanics that can be tossed around by the members of HoME. Anything can happen here, from full-blown unit ideas to miniature suggestions to treasure glyph concepts. This is where the most free-flowing discussion will take place.

WorkBook Format:
Spoiler Alert!

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Last edited by caps; July 3rd, 2020 at 06:32 PM.
Old October 31st, 2012, 06:20 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: HoME Brainstorming Thread

UNIT BRAINSTORM LIST
Gandalf (the Grey) - moving out of playtesting
Strider (Aragorn) - in design
Frodo Baggins
Samwise Gamgee
Meriadoc Brandybuck - in playtesting
Peregrin Took - in playtesting
The One Ring (treasure glyph) - in design
Sting (treasure glyph)
Bilbo's Mithril Shirt (treasure glyph)

--
--
--

--

Last edited by caps; November 29th, 2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old November 1st, 2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
UNIT BRAINSTORM LIST
Gandalf (the Grey)
Strider (Aragorn)
Frodo Baggins
Samwise Gamgee
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Peregrin Took
Alright guys. Let's hear your ideas.

--
--
--

--
Old November 1st, 2012, 03:28 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
UNIT BRAINSTORM LIST
Gandalf (the Grey)
Strider (Aragorn)
Frodo Baggins
Samwise Gamgee
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Peregrin Took
Ideas on the composition of the list, or ideas on designing the figures? I've got both, but they'll have to wait until tonight.
Old November 1st, 2012, 03:32 PM

Not sure what you mean.

This is the list we're starting with for now, it will expand as the ERB figures out what the rest of the list needs to look like and as we take figures off of the list.

So we're looking for you guys to start brainstorming on ideas for these characters.

That is, how should we approach them?

Do we want to have synergy between the hobbits? Between all of the fellowship?

If you have power ideas you're welcome to share them as well, but we should brainstorm about the big picture here before we get too deep into specific ideas.

--
--
--

--
Old November 1st, 2012, 03:53 PM

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
UNIT BRAINSTORM LIST
Gandalf (the Grey)
Strider (Aragorn)
Frodo Baggins
Samwise Gamgee
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Peregrin Took
I don't have to much time so here is my quick response:
  • Gandalf: there lots of different directions we can go with him. I'm thinking he will have a power (maybe a special attack) that has to do with fire, also a power that portrays his wisdom, and probably one other power. This power could have to do with his love of hobbits or one of his many other traits
  • Aragorn: If we're making one figure then we'll have to portray him both a Ranger of the North and as a King Elessar. This could be tricky, there are a lot of creative options to explore.
  • Frodo Baggins: A power that ties into the Ring, and a power that has to do with Sting. We could also do a power for his mithril armor.
  • Samwise Gamgee: Something that ties in with Frodo, and a power that has to do with him being his body guard.
  • Meriadoc Brandybuck/Peregrin Took: They should have strong synergies together, and maybe a power that has to do with ents.
Those were just some ideas to get the ball rolling; I'm looking forward to other thoughts.
Old November 1st, 2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infectedsloth View Post
Gandalf: there lots of different directions we can go with him. I'm thinking he will have a power (maybe a special attack) that has to do with fire, also a power that portrays his wisdom, and probably one other power. This power could have to do with his love of hobbits or one of his many other traits
Good thoughts. I'm not entirely sure about the other two powers either, but I think a fireball SA might be a good idea.
Quote:
Aragorn: If we're making one figure then we'll have to portray him both a Ranger of the North and as a King Elessar. This could be tricky, there are a lot of creative options to explore.
I think we will make at least two Aragorn characters. One from the Fellowship and at least one covering his roles in the Two Towers and following.
Quote:
Frodo Baggins: A power that ties into the Ring, and a power that has to do with Sting. We could also do a power for his mithril armor.
I think I would prefer to do the Mithril Armor and Sting as Treasure glyphs. We could specify that Frodo starts with them in specific scenarios; this is good because when we do Bilbo we'll want him to have them, and Sam also takes them in the book for a time.
Spoiler Alert!

Quote:
Samwise Gamgee: Something that ties in with Frodo, and a power that has to do with him being his body guard.
Maybe not Frodo specifically (although we could do that), but I think this is the right direction.

For the hobbits in general, I think they should have some unifying ability reflecting their toughness. Maybe just Tough, per the Gorillinators, or a d20 ability, or just high defense... something.

--
--
--

--
Old November 1st, 2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Gandalf: there lots of different directions we can go with him. I'm thinking he will have a power (maybe a special attack) that has to do with fire, also a power that portrays his wisdom, and probably one other power. This power could have to do with his love of hobbits or one of his many other traits
Good thoughts. I'm not entirely sure about the other two powers either, but I think a fireball SA might be a good idea.
Quote:
Aragorn: If we're making one figure then we'll have to portray him both a Ranger of the North and as a King Elessar. This could be tricky, there are a lot of creative options to explore.
I think we will make at least two Aragorn characters. One from the Fellowship and at least one covering his roles in the Two Towers and following.
Quote:
Frodo Baggins: A power that ties into the Ring, and a power that has to do with Sting. We could also do a power for his mithril armor.
I think I would prefer to do the Mithril Armor and Sting as Treasure glyphs. We could specify that Frodo starts with them in specific scenarios; this is good because when we do Bilbo we'll want him to have them, and Sam also takes them in the book for a time.
Spoiler Alert!

Quote:
Samwise Gamgee: Something that ties in with Frodo, and a power that has to do with him being his body guard.
Maybe not Frodo specifically (although we could do that), but I think this is the right direction.

For the hobbits in general, I think they should have some unifying ability reflecting their toughness. Maybe just Tough, per the Gorillinators, or a d20 ability, or just high defense... something.
Must resist the temptation for long drawn out response, to much school work.

I'm cool with Frodo's gear being T glyphs, in my haste I forgot that was an option. I don't agree on your interpenetration of Sting.

I'm fine with two Aragorn's, but I think we first attempt at making one, to see if it's plausible. If we make two it should be King Elessar and the Ranger, with transitional powers going to which ever one it more fits with.

I'd be fine with the 4 hobbits have a unifying power. I don't like the idea of tough, to me that's more of a dwarven trait. Maybe something to show how stealth they are at moving, because that's prominent in the books and all hobbits share it.
Old November 1st, 2012, 04:23 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Gandalf- I agree that fire has to have a part in his design. However, rather than (or in addition to) a special attack, something relating to the Ring of Narya and the strength it grants those around him. Some sort of resilience aura for heroes near him, perhaps. We can ignore anything pertaining only to Gandalf the White in this design, since creating a second character for him will be necessary later on. The Grey and the White are just too dissimilar to create a single design.

Aragorn- I think this is one of the characters that would require 2 separate designs. Aragorn as Strider and Aragorn as Elessar are completely different. One is a ranger, one is a king. Since we're starting with the fellowship, let's focus on the ranger for now. Since he's out in the wild, Tracking could be on the power table. He should be fairly quick and tough to wound from afar, symbolizing his abilities to elude the enemy. Whether or not to give him Anduril is a decent question here, as it's not reforged until the fellowship sets out from Rivendell. I think he ought to have a ranged attack, the guy does carry a bow. But on the whole, high life/mediocre defense values could work here.

Frodo Baggins- Going a bit more specific here. Three powers ought to characterize this design. Firstly, Sting. The simplest interpretation of this would be adding to your initiative roll if your opponent has any orcs, uruk-hai, etc. Secondly, his Mithril Vest. Best way to keep the ringbearer alive is to give him some dwarven chain mail. This could be anything from auto-shields to subtracting skulls from opponent's attack rolls. Lastly, some sort of resilience to the ring. Conversely, the mithril coat and sting could be treasure glyphs, as Bilbo possesses them for a time, as does Same with sting.

Samwise Gamgee- Sam should have some sort of protection power, whether it be for Frodo, or a more generalized version of his 'master'. I'll come back to edit this later.

Meriadoc Brandybuck- I'll come back to edit this later.

Peregrin Took- I'll come back to edit this later.
Old November 1st, 2012, 04:23 PM

Fair points.

Quote:
I don't agree on your interpenetration of Sting.
I'd like to see yours when you have the time.

Quote:
I'm fine with two Aragorn's, but I think we first attempt at making one, to see if it's plausible. If we make two it should be King Elessar and the Ranger, with transitional powers going to which ever one it more fits with.
Hm... maybe its because I haven't read the Return as much as I've read the first two books, but it seems like Aragorn as a Ranger and then Aragorn beginning when he's hunting the Uruk-Hai and going all the way to Pellenor fields are two more representative ideas. When I think "King Elessar" I think of him mostly after the ring has been destroyed, so maybe we mean the same thing?

I don't mind trying to represent Aragorn in just one character--we can try.

Quote:
I'd be fine with the 4 hobbits have a unifying power. I don't like the idea of tough, to me that's more of a dwarven trait. Maybe something to show how stealth they are at moving, because that's prominent in the books and all hobbits share it.
Stealth is an aspect I hadn't thought of. One of the huge traits for the hobbits, to me, seems to be their resilience--it's something that everyone else notices again and again.
-the way that Frodo (and Bilbo before him) bears the ring for so long and resists its effects so well (relatively speaking)
-the way that Frodo resists the poison of the Nazgul blade
-the way that Frodo and Sam persist against all odds as they journey into Mordor. There was a physical toll, as well as a mental and spiritual one.

It just seems like a really key thing about them, to me.

--
--
--

--
Old November 1st, 2012, 04:37 PM

Added The One Ring Treasure Glyph to the list.

My thought for The One Ring included some sort of hit-zone thing combined with Disengage or Phantom Walk. It wouldn't be "always on" though.

Then on top of that I was thinking something that worked like Marcu's Eternal Hatred or Sir Hawthorne's Stab In the Back. Frodo (and Sam?) could have a resistance to the roll (maybe Sam boosts Frodo's roll?) while characters like Boromir could have a penalty to the roll.

Just throwing it out there.

--
--
--

--
Old November 1st, 2012, 04:47 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Here's an idea for the effects of The One Ring Treasure Glyph (roughly worded):

PUT ON THE RING
After revealing an order marker on this figure's Army Card and before taking a turn with this figure, you may choose to Put On the Ring, or Take Off the Ring.

INTANGIBILITY
While this figure has Put On the Ring, this figure has no visible hit zone and is never attacked when leaving an engagement.

BETRAYAL
Before taking a turn with this figure, if this figure has Put On the Ring, roll the 20-sided die. Add 3 to your die roll if this figure is a Human. Subtract 3 from your die roll if this figure is a Hobbit. If you roll a 17 or higher, choose an opponent. That opponent controls this figure for the duration of this turn.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs