Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old August 8th, 2007, 02:45 PM

dafe31 is surprisingly tart
Deadly Waters at Durgeth Swamp question

I haven't heard back from Hasbro on this yet and I wanted to throw this out to the forum to get the opinion of the masses.

We played the new "Deadly Waters at Durgeth Swamp" this past weekend and ran into a dilemma. To quote the game description:

Goal: Player 1 must prevent the other armies from stealing the Divining Rod. Players 2 and 3 must find the Divining Rod and carry it back to their own starting zone.

Here is the question. Players 2 & 3 obviously need to get into the water and search the glyphs to find the Divining Rod. In his/her effort to secure the Divining Rod, can Player 1 also search for the Rod and then, if found, run away with it? I can believe that Player 1 could pick up the Rod if dropped by the attacking armies, but I think that, by the spirit of the game, the searching would need to be limited to the invaders, not the defenders.

Thanks for any input you guys have.

DAFE
Old August 8th, 2007, 03:14 PM

sachsen Woo who?
Re: Deadly Waters at Durgeth Swamp question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafe31
I haven't heard back from Hasbro on this yet and I wanted to throw this out to the forum to get the opinion of the masses.

We played the new "Deadly Waters at Durgeth Swamp" this past weekend and ran into a dilemma. To quote the game description:

Goal: Player 1 must prevent the other armies from stealing the Divining Rod. Players 2 and 3 must find the Divining Rod and carry it back to their own starting zone.

Here is the question. Players 2 & 3 obviously need to get into the water and search the glyphs to find the Divining Rod. In his/her effort to secure the Divining Rod, can Player 1 also search for the Rod and then, if found, run away with it? I can believe that Player 1 could pick up the Rod if dropped by the attacking armies, but I think that, by the spirit of the game, the searching would need to be limited to the invaders, not the defenders.

Thanks for any input you guys have.

DAFE
Hmmm. Good question. Obviously the goal is ambiguous. All it says is that Player 1 "must prevent the other armies from stealing the Divining Rod." I don't know about you, but if I wanted to stop someone from stealing something, I would pick it up myself and protect it any way I could. So I'd vote yes, Player 1 could pick it up and secure it elsewhere. But I can see going either way.
Old August 8th, 2007, 04:55 PM

Will T is surprisingly tart
I just read through the scenario for the first time. I do not know why player 1 would not be able to seach for the Rod. Depending on player 2's strategy, it may or may not be to player 1's advantage to find it, though.
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:52 AM

Thanks for the two cents

Thanks for weighing in on this. It is really vague and, like you said, I could see it going either way. When it came into play was when we had searched all but two of the glyphs and my son (the defender) wanted to search the final two when his turn came around. A good plan in that case, if it's legal. It just doesn't seem to follow the storyline provided. I guess we'll have to just make a house ruling on it and go from there. Thanks again.

DAFE
Old August 16th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Welcome to the boards, dafe31!

On behalf of our mechanical and engineered community I extend to you a laurel and a hearty handshake.

As a new member, you can begin your journey on the path to the fellowship, praise and respect of your Heroscapers peers by checking out this announcement: http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=6970

~Aldin, who wishes he could shed further light on the subject

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 28th, 2008, 03:47 PM

Official answer from WOTC

When I posted this question originally to Hasbro, I guess it was in the transition to WOTC, so I sent it in directly to the Wizards question center. Here is the official answer from on high:

-------------------------

Hi there David,

Thank you for contacting Wizards of the Coast game support!

Player 1 cannot search for the Divining Rod. The scenario specifically states that Players 2 and 3 are the ones specifically trying to find it. Player 1 has a different purpose in trying to prevent them from stealing it. This does not include finding it themselves in the first place. Player 1 can pick the Divining Rod up if an enemy drops it though.

Take Care and Good Gaming!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's