Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old May 17th, 2020, 10:53 PM

Doop knows what's in an order marker Doop knows what's in an order marker
Doop's Map Database

Being new to Heroscape, it can be a bit overwhelming looking at the massive number of maps in the Downloads section on this awesome site. I tried looking for a tool to quickly sort through the maps based on sets you own, and while some exist, they all seemed extremely outdated, or lacked the vast majority of files.

I really wanted to have a tool that could show me what I could build and help me figure out what terrain sets I should get as I don't have a large variety of them.

So I went through every single file in the Battlefields section of the Downloads, and catalogued what each map requires as best I could.

This spreadsheet can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...vxp0BWui1WDKs/

To use it, just copy it to your drive and enter the sets you own and it will auto load what you can build on the tab called "Maps You Can Build".

Some notes about what is there currently:
  • I so far have only entered the set requirements. My first goal with this database was to get every map catalogued with what it requires, and then do later passes adding more info. I felt like most projects that tried to do this got caught up in trying to do everything all at once which is extremely overwhelming. This way, even if the project gets forgotten in the future, it's still usable for at least something.
  • The link that says "PDF" is also not just PDF links. I haven't gone through and sorted all the files yet, that will be done in the future, so be aware that column is a dirty liar right now.
  • You'll notice that there are other areas where I plan to add in data in further passes, but right now, as of 2020-05-17, they're blank for all maps.
  • Also, anything that said "1/2 [insert set name]" was rounded up. Anything that said "random expansion tiles" had another RotV add to it.
  • Right now there are definitely some dupes, further passes would clean this up.
Now that all the caveats are out of the way, let's talk about some of the fun facts this project has shown me:
  • I looked through a total of 3391 maps.
  • 13.7% of them didn't have set requirements I could easily find and therefore aren't catalogued.
  • Of the maps that did have info, RotV is the most popular Master Set being used in 67.7% of them, while M:tCB was the least popular being used in only 10.3%.
  • The most popular terrain expansion was RttFF in 43.7% of the maps, and the least popular was TT in 14.8%.

All these stats and more can be seen in the spreadsheet as well for your viewing pleasure.

Hopefully somebody else can get some use out of this spreadsheet as it stands now, as I'll probably take a bit of a break before updating with more data. It took quite a bit of time to go through over 3000 maps, lol.

Last edited by Doop; May 21st, 2020 at 03:11 PM.
Old May 17th, 2020, 11:05 PM

Re: Doop's Map Database

Now that the OP is up, there are a substantial number of HSC files that didn't have set reqs. At first I thought this could be easily solved since VirtualScape seemed to output what it required when you verified the map, but quickly realized this was flawed and didn't split out master sets properly.

I searched in the forums and saw this was a known bug, but never saw a fix or workaround for it. So my question to all the veterans here, is there a way to get a quick and correct output of what a HSC files requires?

If so I'll be able to add a few hundred more maps without much trouble.
Old May 17th, 2020, 11:51 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Thanks for your work on this! This must have taken a lot of time! Really appreciate it.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22

Last edited by Dysole; May 18th, 2020 at 04:03 PM.
Old May 19th, 2020, 12:07 AM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Nice work! Thanks for taking the time to do it!

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old May 19th, 2020, 08:56 AM

itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby!

I would first like to start out saying I took a look at your sheet and it is more than amazing. I attempted to do something similar with all of the competitive maps but I started my organization with a flaw and therefore my sheet needs some work. Could you tell me how you compiled the sheet as you did? I am honestly not very adapt with excel in ways of formulas and scripts but would like to learn to help my own sheet. My sheet should be in my google drive link in my signature.

Keep doing what you're doing, but do it better. ~Self

Classic Card Scans & Tourney Map Building Requirements Excel Sheet
Old May 19th, 2020, 10:35 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

@Doop - Great resource! I love that you even have Mtg:AotP and Lexan as sets and in maps. Only thing that I think it needs is more "types" such as BoV, ARV, C3G, HoSS, WoS, MOP, etc, so people can filter by those, but otherwise better then all these combined:
Old May 19th, 2020, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I've been adding in other info about maps like author, size, and player counts (player counts are still something I'm not 100% sure how I want to setup filtering on them) and gathering images for thumbnails. Once I have thumbnails for every map I'm going to figure out the way I like them fitting in there the best and bulk transform all the images to fit that template. This is probably a long way off though as this info is much slower to fill out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
@Doop - Great resource! I love that you even have Mtg:AotP and Lexan as sets and in maps. Only thing that I think it needs is more "types" such as BoV, ARV, C3G, HoSS, WoS, MOP, etc, so people can filter by those, but otherwise better then all these combined:

Is there a list/threads somewhere that says what maps belong to each type? If so, that'll be a pretty trivial thing for me to add. I had actually only added the Type column last night so I could mark official ones, but knew there were other things it could be used for as well like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbuzzi View Post
I would first like to start out saying I took a look at your sheet and it is more than amazing. I attempted to do something similar with all of the competitive maps but I started my organization with a flaw and therefore my sheet needs some work. Could you tell me how you compiled the sheet as you did? I am honestly not very adapt with excel in ways of formulas and scripts but would like to learn to help my own sheet. My sheet should be in my google drive link in my signature.

So I started off with a simple concept and built on it. First I just took the map name, link, and set requirements and put them in one row.

Then I went through the downloads section doing that for each map, and downloading every file along the way as well so I have a copy. This helped me to not get spammed with the "You're downloading too fast" message, as between downloads I would fill out info.

Then each column that needed to be used to determine if it fit, I created a name range for for simplicity sake in formulas. I also made a named range for each of the inputs for what you own, again for reference simplicity.

Then I created a new sheet where column A use the filter formula on the maps list based on what is owned. In the filter formula each condition is enclosed and a * is put between them. In the filter formula a * translates to "and" and a + translates to "or" I believe. I also made it so it output the row that the match belonged to.

Then in column B I have an array formula that returns all the columns from the row specified in column A from the Map Data sheet.

It's probably not the most efficient or cleanest form of doing things, but I wanted it to not be affected by any sorting operations on the Map Data and to be easily expandable.

For your spreadsheet, it looks like you essentially transposed what I have, where your columns are what my rows are, and your rows are what my columns are.
Old May 19th, 2020, 01:17 PM

itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby!

Yeah for my sheet what I wanted to answer was: "I have this terrain in my collection, how many maps and which ones can I build". I suppose because that's the question I wanted answered I have the terrain in columns and the maps in rows. The sheet helped out a lot with figuring out what I can bring to tournaments but can use a lot of work as many functions are basically read-only or manual as I haven't the slightly clue on how to compose complex formulas. My repertoire consists of simple formulas. The main draw to my sheet that I like is the addition of the specific terrain pieces as many maps doesn't use a whole set and may only use the small or large ruin of the first master set.

Old May 19th, 2020, 01:39 PM

Yeah, I considered doing terrain counts as well as sets, but I just came to a decision that that was just too far out of scope due to most sets listing requirements by set and not by terrain type.

I also just came to that decision because I don't have enough stuff to catalogue it by terrain type (I wish I did, that'd be cool, lol), I have everything sorted and recorded by set.
Old May 19th, 2020, 01:52 PM

[MENTION=6527]lefton4ya[/MENTION] I just noticed your post had some links to some threads. I did all the BoV maps and will do ARV next, but if you have threads for all the other types let me know.
Old May 19th, 2020, 04:00 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

@Doop - Awesome! I think maps are on various project threads.
C3G Maps & Scenarios
HoSS Maps & Scenarios
Wargrounds of Scape (WoS)
MOPs
Old May 20th, 2020, 08:24 AM

The reasoning I've done mine by tiles and not set is because my personal collection has many pieces that didn't come from a full set. Many acquisitions over the years led to many incomplete sets so to use each piece I have effectively I just did it by tiles which is a hassle because most authors of maps list by set if they do, not by terrain.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios