Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Old December 14th, 2016, 01:01 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness
GenCon - 2017 ideas

Hey someone has to be excited and start the ball rolling.

I think we should make sure we have T-shirts as prizes, it was a shame not to have them last year. I will donate again, and I bet we could get some other people to also. At the cost of making them ourselves, we could offer them at 50% over cost to double the price to people who are not going to GC but would like one ( help pay for the prizes that way, just a thought, but if we can sell them at $10 or $12 and pay for another shirt to be made as a prize, that seems a win win ).

maybe at night , but I would love to see a 1,000 pt. army limit with 500 of it for squads and 500 for hero's. There are a lot of themed armies that need to played in a tournament I feel. AN hour and 20 min. time limit, 10 minutes to switch over to the next game maybe.

Everything else is great IMHO, just wanted to start a thread since I am already excited for next GenCon.

An event for HS'ers where you have to bring a prize and everyone gets a prize, like a HS tournament that we all know and love.

OK people, what else you got in mind for next year?

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old December 14th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: GenCon - 2017 ideas

T-Shirts are always fun.

There may be something else in the works...

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old December 14th, 2016, 02:07 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I would love T-shirts, and like the idea of free ones for winners but allow all participants to buy one at 50% markup. Make enough for about 1/2 the people attending to get, and only people who go to Gencon would be eligible to buy unless there are leftovers that could either be sold on this site or saved to give for NHSD event prizes.

For Heroscape events, my biggest desire is to see an official tournament that allows C3V/SoV. The "Custom events" were a good idea in theory, but really the only people who played in a tournament were ones organized by Dok and Megasilver that were posted on Heroscapers forum but not on Gencon eventbook - so that really hurt the casual scapers from being able to do these event so we might as well make them official. Instead of an open event, maybe just make one tournament be (no material necissary) and we have armies available to borrow for any newbies that are not site regulars.

For Magic:AotP events, I think we should have two events, based off Gencon 2016 Feedback:
  • 600 point kill-em-all - standard pre-build tournament
  • 500 point kill the planeswalker - "mirror mirror" (Magic name for "reverse-the-whip"), where the last two games you swap armies/decks with your opponent and then swap back after the game before going to the next match and doing again.
Also, last year both Magic:Arena events were at bad times and I thought this hurt attendance. We should have one Friday and one Saturday, neither of them too late or conflicting the the Heroscape main event.
Old December 14th, 2016, 02:13 PM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Yeah, most def need more AotP.

I may be able to actually win a match in that.

- Eslo Rudkey
Old December 14th, 2016, 02:46 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I've said it many times, but I'd like more events where the format involves some sort of drafting element - be it pooled draft, army draft ("take 2"), reverse draft, pod draft, etc. I just want more events where the best strategy is not to just take the A/A+ units that fit the format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
For Heroscape events, my biggest desire is to see an official tournament that allows C3V/SoV. The "Custom events" were a good idea in theory, but really the only people who played in a tournament were ones organized by Dok and Megasilver that were posted on Heroscapers forum but not on Gencon eventbook - so that really hurt the casual scapers from being able to do these event so we might as well make them official.
FWIW, my event was classic only - Mega's event was the only one that allowed customs.

As much as I am a backer of the custom projects (and obviously, I am) I think Gencon is a really tough place to make a custom event work. You note that only those who are hooked into the 'scaper forums knew about the custom event, but then, only the people hooked into the 'scaper forums know about the customs, anyway. So I think this is basically OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Instead of an open event, maybe just make one tournament be (no material necissary) and we have armies available to borrow for any newbies that are not site regulars.
That's a really cool idea; some mini-events (maybe 8-max, like the old win-a-waves, or even just 4-max) with prebuilt armies. That's a great way to expand on the learn to play events. (This could be a way to get customs in play, but I like it better as just a way to get newer players in the door in a competitive setting. You could even have some of these "conveniently" scheduled right after learn to play sessions.)
Old December 14th, 2016, 03:39 PM

If you guys can pull off a 'no materials' event I think it could be awesome.

One of these years I am going to host a C3G event with all materials provided.

Something like X-Men vs. Brotherhood vs. Sentinels(and other Mutie haters) in a ruined city(2v2v2) and maybe a 2v2 or 3v3 format.

Two maps, 12 players total. Maybe 2018.

- Eslo Rudkey
Old December 18th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm working on quite a few competitive maps that I'll post soon, I hope some make the map pool for 2017.
Old December 18th, 2016, 09:56 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Careful on the shirt sales guys. The only way you are allowed to sell stuff at GenCon is as a dealer in the dealer hall, unless you have some other very special arrangement.

Selling shirts in the event hall is a good way to get shut down and banned from hosting future events. People could buy through website or transact off site I guess, but money changing hands for goods in the event hall is a violation, and a very big one at that.

I am good with whatever on the events but the only way I would play in an atp or custom event is if there is no regular scape event at that time. I like events that let me use more of my collection - 4x4, draft, big points, etc

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; December 19th, 2016 at 12:56 AM. Reason: telling it like it is
Old December 19th, 2016, 12:42 AM

Good words of advice Ry.

- Eslo Rudkey
Old December 24th, 2016, 05:04 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I never said sell in the game area, I said if people on this site would like a shirt but can not go to GC, and would want to pay for a shirt, we could make money to help cover our expenses.a
Just a thought

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old December 26th, 2016, 12:49 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendal View Post
I never said sell in the game area, I said if people on this site would like a shirt but can not go to GC, and would want to pay for a shirt, we could make money to help cover our expenses.a
Just a thought
I know you didn't say that ...but it came up in the discussion.

I think shirts are a good idea and am willing to help fund it to get it going.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old December 26th, 2016, 06:24 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Any interest in another Tournament of Champions this year?

The last one was held in 2011, after 6 years of Gencon events. This will be the 12th year, so it seems like about the right time.

I compiled a list and there's 39 people (that I found results for) who have won a 4+ round event since the beginning of the ToC in 2011 (including the three people that won events that Sunday). I think that's comparable to the numbers we had heading into 2011. Plus presumably there will be some new winners on the first three days. We could also let in champs from the first six years if we want to include some has-beens like Matthias.

Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by dok; December 28th, 2016 at 03:03 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con