Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy > C3G Legacy Library > C3G Maps & Scenarios

Notices

Old March 7th, 2017, 05:43 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Yellowstone Throwdown

Quozl sent me a alternate map design based on this map and after looking at it and thinking about this map a bit more I started messing around with the VS file again. When I tried making changes A3N suggested I tried to change as little as possible in hopes we could avoid a second round of prolonged testing. This time I just accepted the fact that testing would have to be restarted. The base map is still pretty much the same but I moved enough tiles and obstacles around that it should certainly play differently. Instead of having one large and long gap in the middle to contend with, I've sent a walking path right through the middle of that gap and created two large pools to contend with instead. Take a look and see what you think.

Yellow Stone 3 - VS File

Last edited by Yodaking; March 7th, 2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old March 8th, 2017, 05:36 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Was looking at this again and counting spaces out from the start zones and feel the two 3 hex tiles of HG closest to the start zones are too close so I moved them off to the sides by the large trees. I'm going to tear down the map I currently have up and build this map to see if anything else pops out at me as being wrong. Then I'll run a few games on it and see how it goes. I'll wait to post an updated file until after I finish the tests and make any further changes based on those.
Old March 8th, 2017, 11:46 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Old March 9th, 2017, 02:11 PM
C3G Landlord

Ended up making another change after building it. I took those two 3 hex tiles of HG that I had moved over by the large trees and instead put them under the 3 hex rock outcrops, raising those up 1 level. That allowed me to flip or spin the 3 hex rock outcrops and open up a new path between them & the water tile pools. Being able to quickly moving around the obstacles seemed to be a concern so that change should address that.
Old March 14th, 2017, 07:25 PM
C3G Landlord

NAME OF THE MAP TESTED (Yellow Stone Throwdown Take 2)

- OVERALL LOOK/THEME TEST/ Let us know if the map’s theme comes across effectively or not, how visually appealing it is or is not to you, etc.
Pass
- STABILITYTEST/Any issues you find with the map’s ability to hold together during game play and/or the feasibility to moving the map around from table to floor or from car to event.
Pass
- BUILD DIFFICUTLY/ Was it hard to follow the directions or figure out where pieces go?
No
- SIZE IMPACT/ How big is the map when fully assembled in comparison to other maps you enjoy playing on? Does the map’s size have any negative or positive ramifications?
Medium
- FUN TEST/ Consider whether or not the map was fun to play on.
Pass
- COMPETITIVE TEST/ Consider whether or not the map would best be a competitive, casual, or scenario based map (more than one option can be listed). Please explain why you feel that way.
Competitive, good balance of map features for an interesting and competitive playing field
- STRATEGY TEST/ Consider whether or not the map offers any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game.
Yes
-Unit types positively affected:
Figures that use Shadow or Water tiles will enjoy this map. Figures with a pole vault or stealth leap type of movement power will find their special move of 3 can be pretty handy here. Figures that can create or work as an effective road block (engagement strike units is one good example) have opportunities to plug up a path and force an opponent to go around or confront them one on one. Figures with a ghostwalk type of power will like being able to pass right through those units trying to block their path (assuming they don’t have a cyber claw type of power) and go after juicier targets. Flying figures as always enjoy some freedom of movement.
-Unit types negatively affected:
3 or 4 figure squads without flying, especially if they are melee squads, may find they can’t get everyone in position to attack each round or may find they easily get bunched up into groups or lines where AoE SA can decimate them more easily. Figures that make heavy use of powers limited by LOS may find themselves frustrated by the many LOS blockers (think aura figures like Star Lord and bonding units that require LOS).
-Key areas on the Map:
The 4 tiles of high ground on either side of the chasm are popular destinations, the shadow tiles were also heavily used.
-Areas not used much or at all:
I didn’t use the Road Tiles much, they are nice to have there should you want to try and flank an opponent or have a large number of figures you want to spread out but in smaller figure and point games I suspect they may be ignored.
Spoiler Alert!

Spoiler Alert!

FINAL THOUGHTS - I’m not one that plays with glyphs very often but I think placing a one off to each side of the map could help spread out the battlefield some if that was a desire. I didn’t use any water based units so I didn’t make any use of the cool water pattern on this map, but I know from previous experience with tests on the last Yellow Stone map design that guys like Abe Sapien and Killer Croc are going to be fun to play here. The new pathway cutting through the water was used in my first game to chase after a flying unit that tried to retreat. It certainly makes the hit and run strategy somewhat less effective. I’d like to get some other players thoughts on this new board but I don’t foresee any big issues.
Old March 14th, 2017, 07:32 PM
C3G Landlord

I've changed the VS link and pic in the first post with the map I used in the tests above.
Old March 29th, 2017, 03:30 PM
C3G Landlord

I ran two more test on this map. The fact that I was testing Cosmo and used his powers to just drop 3 figures right onto HG in the middle of the board certainly skewed my perceptions of the games but all the fighting took place right around a small little area. I'm starting to become concerned that their isn't much need to go anywhere other than the middle of the board. I feel like the earlier version of the board was better at forcing you to move around and use other areas.
Old March 29th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

How about shifting one or two 'starting spots' from the SZ to the road?
If you can start with the road bonus, you are more apt to use the side road(s).
Old March 29th, 2017, 03:42 PM
C3G Landlord

That is not a bad idea. The reason I haven't made much use of the road is that it takes one turn to get on the road before you can make use of the bonus. Being able to start on the road tiles, but the road tiles leading to the edges of the map instead of the center, should make for a different yet still balanced playing experience.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 06:29 PM
C3G Landlord

I'm not sure how easy it would be to reorganize the tiles again to make the road tiles extend into the start zone. How would everyone feel about just making a special rule for this map that states all start zone tiles are considered to be road tiles for purposes of the movement bonus granted.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 06:39 PM
C3G Landlord

After reading your suggestion again T I see you were saying to just move the Start Zone spaces onto the road rather than move the road tiles into the start zone. So I removed one 7 hex tile from each start zone and moved those start zone spots up, resulting in 2 road tiles on each road being a part of both start zones for a total of 4 start zone spaces on road tiles for each side. It would need to be tested but I kind of like the idea. A 5 move figure without flying could start on a road tile and in two turns be right next to the opponents start zone.
Old June 12th, 2017, 12:49 PM
C3G Landlord

Looks like I did come up with a solution here so I'll make sure the OP is updated.

*OP is updated*

Last edited by Yodaking; June 12th, 2017 at 01:04 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy > C3G Legacy Library > C3G Maps & Scenarios