Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old September 22nd, 2013, 03:42 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Re: DFW Tournaments - Restricted List

We are using this restricted list for Hexes in Texas again this year. We are giving a few extra points if no restricted units are used to further promote variety.

I've reviewed the list and the thread and feel like this still serves our needs very well.

There may be a point where we use it less or change it, but for now, it has given us the variety we wanted in a few of our regular events.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; September 22nd, 2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: it was 7 sets of Vipers w/Mitts&Fen for RO IV
Old December 7th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Joseph King, Retired

Rexmax2 rolls all skulls baby! Rexmax2 rolls all skulls baby! Rexmax2 rolls all skulls baby! Rexmax2 rolls all skulls baby! Rexmax2 rolls all skulls baby! Rexmax2 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
If I were constructing a restricted list from scratch, and I had to keep its size roughly comparable with this one, I would include both the Fen Hydra and the Marro Warriors before Kaemon Awa. I would also consider banning the 4th outright.
Based on recent events, DFW Hexes in Texas, I would completely agree with this....Cheese ball armies....

Jokes Everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Status View Post
theats, allow me to introduce you to Rexmax2 he's our personal Heroscaper entertainer .

Last edited by Rexmax2; December 7th, 2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Just going on a rant about last tournament
Old December 7th, 2013, 10:36 AM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexmax2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
If I were constructing a restricted list from scratch, and I had to keep its size roughly comparable with this one, I would include both the Fen Hydra and the Marro Warriors before Kaemon Awa. I would also consider banning the 4th outright.
Based on recent events, DFW Hexes in Texas, I would completely agree with this....Cheese ball armies....
I will admit that the 4th are very strong and aren't hurt particularly by the restricted list. However, they could have easily lost the last game of our recent NHSD event against my dividers. It was pretty much a coin flip on the final initiative roll and that's without a single divide from my army.

All that to say, I would hate to actually ban figures all together. We've used the restricted list for several years now and I think this is the first event where the 4th mass have won. Unless a pattern develops where they are constantly showing up, I'd vote to refrain from banning them.

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old December 7th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I agree with Dignan's assessment of the 4th. And to further his point that the 4th aren't all that overpowering, I would add that it was pretty much a coin flip with them in the game between Tmac and I at this year's NHSD, too. (Tmac ran a Knights army with Hawthorne, and may've won had Hawthorne not stabbed him in the back).

As far as cheeseball armies go, yeah, the all-4th Mass army is definitely right up there, but hey, we should all play cheeseball at least once.

I think the bigger problem or issue with the restricted list is that it puts some people off from participating in our tournaments, and with numbers dwindling already, that certainly hurts participation. I know I've liked having the restricted list in the past, but I've reevaluated my opinion, and I think maybe it should go. We've invested too much money not to be able to play what we want and we certainly need all the interest and participation we can get if we want this game to continue to strive and survive.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-

Last edited by rym; December 7th, 2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: And yes, I've only played cheeseball just once.
Old October 21st, 2019, 02:05 PM

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Alright, I want to bump this thread to discuss something that Mark and I have talked about off and on for awhile. We are thinking of taking Greenscales off the list. The reason being, that they aren't really top top tier. I think that if we take them off the list, we won't see a huge swarm of them dominating the events.

Thoughts?

"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old October 22nd, 2019, 01:11 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

The main thing that concerns me about Greenscales is them with Nilfheim. I've always viewed that as being a pretty high-tier army, though perhaps no higher than Glads/Blasts. Being able to pod up around a multi-special attacker seems like it would be pretty potent when played well.

On the other hand, having them on the restricted list with most of their dragons really limits their variety. Neither Othkurik nor Mimring are really that great of choices for a Lizard King, leaving just Moltenclaw and Charos as viable options. As someone who has to talk myself out of taking Zelrig to every event, I'd definitely be a lot more tempted by Greenscales with him or one of the other dragons, and those builds have some serious weaknesses if the dragon dies early.

All this is essentially to say that I'm not sure if it would increase or decrease variety in the long run. I think that it makes enough sense to try it out and see if Nilfheim and Greenscales is overwhelming in the area or not, though.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 01:15 PM

The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker

It seems a shame to ban figures. Why don't you just tax certain units.

Long live heroscape
Old October 22nd, 2019, 01:47 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

The figures in the list aren't banned per se; armies just aren't allowed to take more than one unit from this list (and if it's a common, there can only be up to 3 copies of it in the army). It's often still possible to take whatever units you want.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 03:01 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
The figures in the list aren't banned per se; armies just aren't allowed to take more than one unit from this list (and if it's a common, there can only be up to 3 copies of it in the army). It's often still possible to take whatever units you want.
Bolded by me - just want to point out that the 3 set limit is just a parameter we have put in place for some of our events. The restricted list itself makes no provision for the max number of commons you can have from the restricted list.

And, yes, units are not banned just restricted from using with other units on the list.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old October 22nd, 2019, 04:46 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Since Braxas, Nilfhiem, Zelrig & Greenscales are both on the list, you can't take GS and any of those dragons, but you could take Greensales with another dragons. I guess the major issue is you can't have Deathreavers or Raelin (or any other restricted army) AND Greenscales with another dragon.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 09:10 PM

Ultimately, the question of taking them off the list boils down to this question:

Would greenscales and Nilf/Brax/Zelrig become the dominant build at a restricted list event?

When we added them to the list, that was definitely the concern. When they first came out, those lists were seen as pretty top tier. I'm not sure if we rushed to judgement on those or not. I think those lists might be in the B+ range of lists.

I know that we very rarely see greenscales at restricted events with them on the list, so that's why I wanted to revisit their inclusion on the list. I think we might take a few test runs with them again and see if they really are the top tier list we thought they were.

Old November 3rd, 2019, 07:43 PM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Old Man Hahn here sticking his nose where it probably does not to need, but when have I ever let that stop me from making an ass of myself. (Editors Note: This is just my opinion, what ever Old Man Pruett and the DFW Gang want to do is fine by me

1) Scape was NEVER meant to be played as a tourny, it was a kids game taken out by a bunch of Man children

2) MtG is a game meant for Tourny play and that is why older set s are retired or made non tourny playable, You know why that works? MtG is still releasing new sets of cards every 96 hours.

3) Maybe instead of banning certain units you handicap them.* Example. Say the Army build is 500 points. I want to use Stingers but they are rated -10 points. If I use 3x my max army build is now 470 points instead of 500

Just a thought

GAME OVER Moon Pie!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events