Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Notices

Old February 1st, 2019, 02:54 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
The Scroll of The Swamps of Oighir Scath

COMPETITIVE MAP
By Heroscaper2010

Download, (Online Game)
Required sets:BftU, SotM, TT

Map Bio -
Othkurik the Black Dragon rarely makes trips to these parts of the icy Underworld, but when he does, everyone flees to the snow mountains.

Reviews-
Sir Heroscape
This map has been great. It's not easy to build a map with the right aesthetic with these sets, and somehow he pulled it off extremely well. And that's just the first thing about this map that I loved. The flow is great. There is action turn 2 of every game, and everything is within striking distance. I love that melee have help with Shadow right out of the gates to jump on on their way through the middle and even a fast range opponent trying to kite or pod up will have difficulty on this low ground map. Even the Raelin perch is compromising because of how quickly units can develop. An opposing 4-move figure can reach the Raelin perch by Turn 2...that's just amazing! It allows for some strategic placement because that perch all of a sudden doesn't become so enticing when it can be reached so easily by Turn 2 opponents. I love that the action is fast and furious in the middle but you can't ignore the sides either. The sides seem a bit out of the way at first, but they are very accessible, and a good player will combat the center while sneaking a couple guys off to grab glyphs. Once those glyphs are revealed, a player not committing troops to the defense of those glyphs (or the attack on those glyphs) may not (or may) get the edge he needs in the battle. I felt the height gave plenty of opportunity for both sides to grab some advantage, but that there was always plenty of space for a counter attack. The treasure glyphs were a nice feature and I loved picking one up with the hero on my way to the battle. Overall, everything about this map just felt "right". I have no hesitation in giving a to induct this fine map into our archives.

Biggabullfrog
You don’t usually see swamp, dungeon, and ice mixed together, but this map does a good job of creating a unique little battlefield to play on. It has the overall bearing of your usual tournament map, what with its placement of height, LoS blockers, and glyphs, but still manages to have a unique look to it with its terrain combination. I particularly like the visual asymmetry with the swamp/rock outcrops on one side and the ice/glaciers on the other.

When playing on the map, the first thing you notice is the size. It’s a lot smaller than the picture makes it looks (or at least, I thought it looked bigger). This isn’t terrible, though, and the map makes up for it with clever pathing and utilizing glaciers and outcrops to limit shooting lanes. The glyphs are separated enough from the main action that you generally need to make some big decisions on when to fight for them, which is good for a map of this size. Fliers do have a bit of a boost with being able to jump over the main line of sight blockers, but it’s not enough of an advantage that can’t be played around.

The big concern of the map is the yours/mine high ground on either side of the central glacier, particularly the highest point that makes an excellent Raelin perch. From there she can give defense to defenders blocking the main routes in as well as some surrounding height. Two of the other highest points on the map are within Raelin range, which can lead to a huge advantage. However, this is where the size of the map becomes even more of a feature than a bug. The small size allows players to easily punish aggressive Raelin plays, and a slow roll with Raelin can often be countered by taking the glyphs and flanking into position, which is again easier with the map’s small footprint. Of course, there’s little a player can do if the nightmare situation arises of Raelin on her perch, Rats in the lanes and Stingers on the other highest points, but if that ever happens the game was likely lost anyway and it becomes more of a “win more” situation. Rather, a proactive player can take steps to fight the pod, which results in a nice amount of interaction that usually isn’t seen it that scenario.

My other small concern was that a lot of the available terrain in the sets goes unused. I used the extra to plug in the holes on level 1, and usually prefer to have all of the terrain used when possible, but here it goes to show that there wasn’t any more terrain used than needed, and it shows another kind of efficiency not often seen. All in all I really enjoy this map.

I vote to induct The Swamps of Oigihr Scath.

Nomad
The Swamps of Oigihr Scath saw action six times in our game days. The Swamps use a combination of SotM, TT, and BftU in a way that I have not often seen. This is not your usual cookie-cutter tournament-style battlefield. I was initially concerned about some of the narrow pathing and difficulty moving side-to-side on the map. These potential obstacles to a good map were easily overcome by the results. All the battles were fun and strategic, some were down to the wire with only a figure or two remaining for the victor. Depending on your army build, there are a few different strategies that could be utilized and the action is quick out of the gate. The fear of the potential for height grabbing and Raelin coverage did not manifest itself due to the smaller size of the map and the ability of figures to flank those locations using the glaciers, rock outcrops, and shadows as cover. I did not see this coming, but I really like how the map plays. The results of the tests spoke loudly. I happily cast to induct The Swamps of Oigihr Scath as a ARV worthy map and would be happy to see it set-up at any tournament.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22

Last edited by Sir Heroscape; October 30th, 2019 at 11:11 PM.
Old February 1st, 2019, 03:25 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: The Scroll of The Swamps of Oighir Scath

I like this one! It got one of my votes in the last contest, and I'm happy to see it officially inducted!
Old February 1st, 2019, 04:18 PM

itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby!

Just updated my Google Drive sheet to include this and it's very interesting it's the only map that uses half of the swamp water and half of the ice. Very interesting mix I love how appealing it turns out.

Keep doing what you're doing, but do it better. ~Self

Classic Card Scans & Tourney Map Building Requirements Excel Sheet
Old February 1st, 2019, 07:43 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Wow! Thank you, ARV judges for the gracious words and induction! Truly honored.
Old February 10th, 2019, 09:14 PM

itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby!

Any default snow and ice rules here? I'm guessing heavy snow normal ice but

Keep doing what you're doing, but do it better. ~Self

Classic Card Scans & Tourney Map Building Requirements Excel Sheet
Old February 10th, 2019, 09:50 PM

Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbuzzi View Post

Great question. It is not mentioned in the build directions, but we tested with normal snow and normal ice. I think that is what heroscaper2010 intended.
Old February 17th, 2019, 12:57 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbuzzi View Post

Great question. It is not mentioned in the build directions, but we tested with normal snow and normal ice. I think that is what heroscaper2010 intended.
Correct. Otherwise, the ice side of the map would be a pain.
Old August 15th, 2021, 12:51 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Online game it says needs access to see it.
Old August 15th, 2021, 11:26 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Online game it says needs access to see it.
Thanks. Ill have to check those links again i guess

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla