Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old September 30th, 2021, 01:49 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: Help With Wurdz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchismaticSounds View Post
I did glance at the 12th and something else for some amount of word order with the rendition I wrote.
The main problem I see now with my description is that it doesn't address if the special attack is instead of attacking or before. Though, I think I did compare with some other ability when writing it, allowing it to be generally spoken as a special attack?

A more direct comparison to the Gas Grenade Special would be this:

"Instead of attacking normally (if that is the intention),(or ‘before attacking normally,) a _ Thrall may attack with Toxic Purge Special Attack. If a skull is rolled, the defending figure subtracts one from its defense dice for the entire turn."
Unless specifically stated, a unit can either use a normal attack or a special attack, not both. I assume this one is not to be used alongside a normal attack.

Quote:
I’m curious why there are so many different ways to describe reductions on different cards. Subtract from “defense dice/die”, defense value”, “defense”. I think it shows that there is some freedom involved? or a specific feeling to each description.
The original designers were terrible at consistency in their wording. That's all there is to it.

Quote:
In your version,
"Until the next order marker is revealed" is unnecessary. For Estivara it is specifically until the next time "You" reveal an order marker. I guess this way it just adds that potential extra if there is an initiative switch when using Cloud of Darkness at the end of a round.
The power would then not apply to additional Thrall turns if it didn't last until the next order marker is revealed, since each Thrall gets a separate turn. I assume the intent of the power is to weaken figures for the other Thralls.
Old September 30th, 2021, 03:16 PM

AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
The power would then not apply to additional Thrall turns if it didn't last until the next order marker is revealed, since each Thrall gets a separate turn. I assume the intent of the power is to weaken figures for the other Thralls.
Precisely. So, with that in mind, is "..until the next order marker is revealed" the proper wording?
Old September 30th, 2021, 03:28 PM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Sorry, I tend to forget that a turn would be limited to that single thrall alone rather than your turn phase. Otherwise I'd say leave it open and use the "for the entire turn" again.

And I see now why Gas Grenade has the before attacking normally since it only applies to the single Caucasus.
Old September 30th, 2021, 03:44 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
And I see now why Gas Grenade has the before attacking normally since it only applies to the single Caucasus.
Actually, that applies to the whole card. "Before attacking normally" references the attack phase, which is broken up in their unique case into special attack and then any normal attacks.
Old September 30th, 2021, 03:54 PM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Well, I tried.
Sometimes it just makes sense to you until it doesnt.
Old October 8th, 2021, 09:39 AM

AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Hello,

Question regarding auras. I'm working on a custom that has nearly identical verbiage as RTS' Swamp Ooze, except it utilizes shadow instead of swamp. Obviously swamp ooze affects RTS, and I'm not about to call it Shadow Ooze, but is Shadow Aura acceptable in this situation? Someone mentioned that auras don't affect the person providing them, but unless it's explicitly worded that is doesn't affect them, it does right?

The ability in question:

SHADOW AURA
All land, water, and ice spaces within 1 space of Ilvara that are no more than 5 levels above or below Ilvara's base are considered shadow spaces for figures you control.

Thanks in advance,
Old October 8th, 2021, 11:10 AM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Based on the wording of the power, it would affect the figures own space. While this doesn’t break any rules per se, it does break from precedent as every other power with the word aura in its title does not affect its own figure. So it works fine mechanically, but the break from precedent might be a theme break for some people, depending on how concerned they were with strict continuity with classic scape terminology and precedent.

If that’s a problem for you, the easiest solution would probably be to just change the name of the power, something like Spreading Shadow might work well?
Old October 8th, 2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post
Based on the wording of the power, it would affect the figures own space. While this doesn’t break any rules per se, it does break from precedent as every other power with the word aura in its title does not affect its own figure. So it works fine mechanically, but the break from precedent might be a theme break for some people, depending on how concerned they were with strict continuity with classic scape terminology and precedent.

If that’s a problem for you, the easiest solution would probably be to just change the name of the power, something like Spreading Shadow might work well?
The precedent was one of my concerns. How perfect would SHADOW CAST be? Damn you @Sir Heroscape

How do you feel about EMIT SHADOW?
Old October 8th, 2021, 11:36 AM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Hmmm, shadow isn’t something I typically think of as being emitted, but others mileage may vary.

How about “Cloaked in Shadow” or “Consuming Darkness”?
Old October 8th, 2021, 11:48 AM

My only counterargument to that would be that Estivara's ability CLOUD OF DARKNESS doesn't mention shadow at all.

She's the only exception though; Deepwyrm and Darrak all reference shadow tiles in their "darkness" abilities. I'm fine going with either the "darkness" route or the "shadow" route. Example: Vark Darkclaws, but their ability is SHADOW MASTERS.

I'm hoping for more of an action-y verb. Is CAST DARKNESS too fine of a line with Xundar's SA?
Old October 8th, 2021, 11:53 AM

Yeah, since darkness refers to shadows elsewhere I wouldn’t worry about the estivara precedent. Cast Darkness is maybe a bit similar to shadow cast but probably fine?

How about “Invoke Shadow/Darkness” for a more actiony verb feel?
Old October 8th, 2021, 12:16 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

This is not an ability that is likely to be reused, so I'd encourage wording that really evokes theme:

Cloak of Shadow
Veil of Darkness/Shadow
Shroud of Night

Something like that.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards